More upcoming titles has been released at the WotC site

BadMojo

First Post
Do the "Fortress" and "Spire" adventures have handy conversion notes for other settings (ie. Forgotten Realms or Eberron) similar to the notes in "Red Hand of Doom"?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Both the Rules Compendium and the City of Peril interest me (for a change), but does someone know where I can see what these Fantastic Location maps look like?

I could not find examples on the WOTC site.

I am curious about how reusable they are, as I am not a DM to ever use the same place twice unless you know, the PCs go to the same place twice. :p

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
el-remmen said:
I am curious about how reusable they are, as I am not a DM to ever use the same place twice unless you know, the PCs go to the same place twice. :p

They vary markedly. I doubt you'd use the map with rivers of molten lava on many times (from Hellspike Prison). However, the forest road map (from Fields of Ruin) is very, very useful (wilderness ambush!). I think Fields of Ruin and Dragonsdown Grotto have been the best two products, Hellspike the worst. I'm yet to see Frostfell Ridge, or whatever it is called.

The basic problem with the line comes from the title: Fantastic Locations. For these sorts of maps, you don't want Fantastic locations, you want reusable, generic locations!

You can find small versions of the maps in the Wizards Warband Generator:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20031113x
(Note that the RPG-only maps, one per product, won't be displayed).

Cheers!

Vanuslux

Explorer
MerricB said:
They vary markedly. I doubt you'd use the map with rivers of molten lava on many times (from Hellspike Prison). However, the forest road map (from Fields of Ruin) is very, very useful (wilderness ambush!). I think Fields of Ruin and Dragonsdown Grotto have been the best two products, Hellspike the worst. I'm yet to see Frostfell Ridge, or whatever it is called.

The basic problem with the line comes from the title: Fantastic Locations. For these sorts of maps, you don't want Fantastic locations, you want reusable, generic locations!

Cheers!

I haven't actually seen any of the fantastic locations products yet, but I want to say I'd prefer that sort of line to have a mix of "fantastic" locations and mundane ones. From what you describe, I'd get a ton of use from the forest road map (since a lot of traveling happens in my campaigns) and maybe one or two good uses out of the rivers of molten lava, but I'd definitely like to have both.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I do not understand this product at all. I'm assuming as more information becomes available, its purpose will become more clear.

Two things come to mind:

Option 1: Basic information that the DM can use to incorporate said famous dungeons into the game, as well as rumors and whatnot.

Option 2: (cough)Coffeetable book(cough)

Brad

BadMojo

First Post
MerricB said:

How large are the maps? Are we talking 100x100' maps, or gigantic multi-page poster maps?

Also, would you buy a product called "Kinda Sorta OK Locations"? ;)

Aus_Snow

First Post
It's great to see so many adventures and other DM books. :cool:

Looking forward to Complete Champion as well, though. More than any other recent splatbook, in fact.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I do not understand this product at all. I'm assuming as more information becomes available, its purpose will become more clear.
I'm also perplexed by this item... it this supposed to teach players how to "beat" dungeons using famous dungeons in D&D history as examples and case studies?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
cignus_pfaccari said:
Option 2: (cough)Coffeetable book(cough)

The phrase "lavishly illustrated" is steering me in the direction of this option, but it would seem a really unusual choice of product for WotC to come out with. Perhaps they are trying something new? More likely, though, we'll just have to wait and see what more info comes out.

Remove ads