D&D 5E Multiclass: Warlock / Bard - thoughts?

Flatulus

First Post
I have found the combination of Pact of the chain familiar (Warlock), and the polymorph spell (4th level spells Bard).

You can turn your familiar into a giant eagle with 8 intelligence. Great steed.

Then of course you have the various Bear options, and it can multiattack.

Last edited:

everyman322

First Post
The problem with multiclassing Warlock with (more than 3 levels of) another caster class is that you give up high level spell slots for both classes, unlike with multiclassing 2 non-pact magic caster classes, where you maintain those higher level slots. The only real advantage is having more low level spell slots so you can use your warlock slots with impunity and save your other class slots for emergencies. This only really takes a 1 or 2 level dip.

Aside from that, I don't really see Bard having much synergy with Warlock. Maybe 2 levels of Bard at most for Song of Rest if your party really has trouble running out of hit dice for short resting.
Also, I don't see the Bard spell list as super amazing, and if you're multiclassing for the spell diversity, it's going to take 6 levels of Bard to get to magical secrets (limited to level 3 spells).

Maybe 3 levels of Sorcerer for the metamagic, but they errata'd twinning Eldritch Blast or Scorching Ray, so not really sure it's worth it.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Bard/Warlock is a fine combo. Both Cha-based casters, and Bard has access to healing spells--very powerful when comboed with the Warlock's refreshing-on-a-short-rest slots. Depending on the campaign and party composition, of course.

Flatulus

First Post
My bard warlock has an Instrument of the Bards (disadvantage to foes saving throws against charm), and Rod of the Pactkeeper, which in this case makes saves versus charms at +2 difficulty.

Suffice to say Bard/warlocks are horrendous for foes to resist. Suggestions and charms just tear enemy groups apart and make interrogation a breeze.

BiPolar

Villager
My bard warlock has an Instrument of the Bards (disadvantage to foes saving throws against charm), and Rod of the Pactkeeper, which in this case makes saves versus charms at +2 difficulty.

Suffice to say Bard/warlocks are horrendous for foes to resist. Suggestions and charms just tear enemy groups apart and make interrogation a breeze.

How do you hold and use both the instrument of the bards and the rod? Seems like only one can be out/used at a time.

Last edited:

Geistrin

First Post
My main character is a Human (Variant) Cleric 1 (Life), Warlock 2 (OOP), Bard X (Lore), which is currently level 9 (so 6th level Bard). It is pretty amazing. He wears a breastplate +1, a shield, and wield the Staff of Defense from Lost Mines of Phandelver, making him AC 20 normally, and 25 with Shield from the staff. I use the staff as a warlock focus and simply holster it as my free item interaction when I want to cast a Bard spell (giving him a free hand to cast).

The warlock levels gives him a powerful Eldritch Blast for at-will damage, 120ft darkvision, telepathy, some spell choices, and 2 1st level spell slots that recharge on a short rest. I often use those spells slots for Bless, Faerie Fire, Hex, Goodberry (via Magical Secrets), Healing Word, or whatever utility spell is needed at the moment.

The cleric level gives me access to armor, Disciple of Life for great healing, and a nice selection of 1st level spells to use with my warlock spell slots. The spell progression also adds directly to bard, though my bard KNOWN spells and progression does suffer some.

The Lore Bard levels gives excellent spell selection (whoever said bard spells are "meh" is nuts), skill access, expertise, cutting words, and magical secrets.

Sure, I don't have access to higher level spells as early as pure casters, but most of them can't go all day long doing a little bit of everything under the sun quite like this character can. And it isn't like I'm doing it poorly either. I easily beat them on survivability, while they beat me on punching with a big spell here and there. I'll take that trade off. I've also noticed that the spells I want to use most often tend to not be higher than 3rd level anyway (like Hypnotic Pattern). I could see using Polymorph more when I get 4th level spells next level, but I don't find myself missing it with the other options I have.

First Post
I really like Warlock (Fiend/GOO/Chain) 5 and Bard (Lore) X

From Warlock, you get 3rd level spells on a short rest, three Invocations (Mask of Many Faces being great, Agonizing Blast mandatory, Repelling Blast awesome for control), and an invisible scout that you can see through with your Expertise in Perception/Investigation.

From Bard, you get Cutting Words (someone escaping Hunger of Hadar? Sorry, you just failed your STR check), Magical Secrets (I suggest Conjure Animals, but some other ideas include Plant Growth to make escaping from Hunger of Hadar even harder + Repelling Blast), and Jack of All Trades (yes to that Initiative bonus, and double yes to my Counterspell/Dispel Magic checks with my 3rd level recharging slots. On the note of anti-caster utility, Bard can get Silence too. Plant Growth makes Silence have an 80ft effective radius + Repelling Blast)

mellored

Legend
College of Valor is all about hitting your foes with a sword or similar weapon. It gives you weapon and armor proficiencies; a level in Fighter would do that too. But you'll need STR and/or DEX to make effective use of those proficiencies, rather than just cranking out the Eldritch Blasts. The big synergy with Bard is the use of CHA as spellcasting stat.
You really don't need Str/Dex for valor. You can simply take it for the armor+shield and ignore the weapons. Which also means you can stop at bard 5, with short rest inspiration.

Or go valor bard 10, and take shillelagh to use Cha to-hit.

Otherwise go lore if you don't think you'll need the AC.

shoak1

Banned
Banned
I think the combo is appealing, but w/short rests only occurring on average twice as often as long rests, its not THAT powerful. On the other hand, in games where the DM does not somehow enforce normal resting guidelines, it could be.

Remove ads