Music Tastes

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I love it all. Seriously, in any genre you care to name there's probably a few acts that I love -- though I may not know their names. Only agenda-type "genres" don't interest me -- I don't consider, for example, "Christian Rock" to be a genre. It's just rock.

Country? Gimme Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline and I'm all good.

Rap? Whoah, Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys

Heavy Metal? Yeah, I'm in there from Zeppelin to Priest to Metallica

Swing? I'm all over Glen Miller, Duke, all that.

Classical? CBC Radio sure has some great performances on the air.

Pop? The J. Geils Band will NEVER die. And J-Pop (PuffyAmiYumi, Dreams Come True) is awesomely perfect in its bubblegum confectionery I just can't resist.

Show Tunes? Yes, I can recite pretty much every lyric from every Julie Andrews movie (including My Fair Lady, which I always think of as a Julie Andrews vehicle cause I grew up with the London stage production's recording).

Jazz? Davis, Armstrong, Fitzgerald -- these are the gods among us.

Dance? Play that funky music, white boy -- gimme Parliament, gimme house, gimme jungle, gimme some massive power chords so I can bang my head (I'm looking at YOU, Ian Astbury).

I don't know. I like every last little bit of it. If it's good. The only kind of music I don't like is bad music. And there's no shortage of that, for surely.

Torm

Explorer
I like a bit of everything - metal, rap, classical, folk, everything. Except freestyle jazz - can't stand it. Most of it is bad, IMHO, and what little bit is good, you will never hear again. (Thus the "freestyle" part - no sheet music, no plan, no recording, just "jamming". Ugh.)

The two genres I like best are 60s - 80s Country, and 80's Pop, and I'm unapologetic about either. I was country, when country wasn't cool, and I'm STILL preoccupied with 19, 19, 1985. :cool: (and, I wear my sunglasses at night :D )

To give you some idea of what I like in recent music, I'll give you MY version of what should have been the Top 25 of 2004. (as opposed to the misogynistic gangsta BS that dominated the once respectable Billboard year-end charts. ;) )

25. Milkshake - Kelis
24. The Way You Move - Outkast ft. Sleepy Brown
23. Its My Life - No Doubt
22. My Band - D12 ft Eminem
21. The First Cut Is The Deepest - Sheryl Crow
20. Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit
19. Harder To Breathe - Maroon 5
18. Why Can't I - Liz Phaire
17. Toxic - Britney Spears
16. Breaking The Habit - Linkin Park
15. Come Clean - Hillary Duff
14. Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson
13. Here Without You - Three Doors Down
12. Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne (I can't believe THIS didn't make AT40 OR Billboard Top 100?! :mad: )
11. Don't Tell Me - Avril Lavigne
10. This Love - Maroon 5
9. Broken - Seether ft Amy Lee
8. Unwell - Matchbox 20
7. Numb - Linkin Park
6. 1985 - Bowling For Soup
5. One Thing - Finger Eleven
4. My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne
3. My Immortal - Evanescence
2. The Reason - Hoobastank
1. Where Is The Love - Black Eyed Peas

Last edited:

Captain Tagon

First Post
I like real metal. Not Metallica or Megadeath or anything, but the real stuff. Some roots hardcore. A bit of modern metalcore and roots metalcore. Emo from the 80's and early 90's. Indie rock, indie pop, art rock. Digging the melodic hardcore these days. Raw rock kills.

So basically stuff that no one really listens to.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Captain Targon, can you list some representative bands? I'm not sure what you're talking about, there, especially the "no one really listens to" bit. Are you talking about REALLY indie stuff, distributed on some wee little label from Duluth, or you walking about Nirvana? Or something totally different? I'm curious.

Qlippoth

Explorer
My tastes tend to be all over the place these days. I cut my teeth on classic rock/AOR radio young (ah, a land of jean-jackets, combs in back pockets, & babysitters with strange-smelling belt clips), moved to college radio in junior high (New Wave, old school punk, some synthpop), tried out the "new" metal of those days (pre-radio Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc.) in high school, got more into some of the classic rockers than before (Pink Floyd, Rush, among others), hung out with friends who were listening to old Run-DMC/Grandmaster Flash/Slick Rick), then latched on to the "alternative" genre (back when it still only slightly meant something), went full-on Goth in college, adapted to industrial (Ministry & its numerous bastard spawn, Nitzer Ebb, etc.), then started listening to a lot of old Hank Williams (a testament to my old man, who I remember played it when he was down when I was a kid) & Tom Waits.

My music collection pretty much looks as organized as the previous "paragraph." :)

Qlippoth; I don't you if you intend to imply that Ministry is the father of Industrial and Nitzer Ebb is a spawn of Ministry, but that's both bogus. Front 242 was along the same time as Ministry, and Throbbing Gristle was around ten years before either. And before that, even most industrial guys nod to Kraftwerk as the real father of the genre, but then so do all electronica genres, so that's not necessarily saying much...

Captain Tagon

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Captain Targon, can you list some representative bands? I'm not sure what you're talking about, there, especially the "no one really listens to" bit. Are you talking about REALLY indie stuff, distributed on some wee little label from Duluth, or you walking about Nirvana? Or something totally different? I'm curious.

acceptance, beautiful mistake, noise ratchet, yellowcard, thrice, dogwood, thursday, brandtson, sunny day real estate, hum, appleseed cast, benton falls, makeshift3, value pac, living sacrifice, zao, side walk slam, mxpx, relient k, smashing pumkins, zwan, deftones, nodes of ranvier, these 5 down, disciple, mae, emery, calibretto (13), fairbanks, alkaline trio, a fire inside, anadevine, the big collapse, underoath, blindside, project 86, stavesacre, hangnail, lyndsay diaries, eisley, cool hand luke, dead poetic, beloved, the blamed, man alive, boysetsfire, coheed and cambria, skillet, monday morning, the here, ghoti hook, further seems forever, echocast, six feet deep, sepultura, 238, the juliana theory, switchfoot, sleeping at last, bleu, thousand foot krutch, five iron frenzy, stretch arm strong, fewleftstanding, the attra machine, farewell for tonight, the tasty snax, officer negative, mewithoutyou, embodyment, brand new, godspeed you black emporer, the cure, mineral, elliot, denison marrs, finch, lifehouse, starflyer 59, the evan anthem, too bad eugene, wilco, the showdown, moments in grace, lovedrug, dismissed, fletcher, the pale, divebomber, showbread, he is legend, vroom

Small smattering of bands and artists I enjoy, taken from my myspac elist. Some of them are a big more famous and popular than others.

And no, I don't listen to Nirvana, but I did when I was like 15.

Last edited:

Hida Bukkorosu

First Post
punk, emo, Weird Al, video game soundtracks, orchestral movie soundtracks like Star Wars and LOTR, 80s hair metal, and a bit of miscellaneous rock.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I can't seem to be able to find any sensical formula to my music tastes. I'm all over
the place and I go through all kinds of phases. A Bowie phase followed by a Punk
phase followed by 80s Metal phase, a Funk phase and a Icelandic Folk Music phase
even, etc.

But there's some things I've never been able to appreciate much. Non-melodic rap
or Hip Hop, most NeoJazz and most Country (just sounds like a lot of whining to me).
But even there is usually something I like.

Last edited:

Remove ads