Music Tastes

hong

WotC's bitch
One side-effect of the recent Wave Aid concert is that I've found that Kasey Chambers doesn't sound half bad.

MonsterMash

First Post
Apparently after the Tsunami relief concert in Wales a couple of weeks back a joint recoerd by Aled Jones and Goldie Lookin Chain is now threatened!

Turanil

First Post
I can listen to various types of music (including metal and classical music), but my preference goes to a certain genre of "mysterious" music (I don't know the name, but it's generally labelled new-age while in fact it's more weird sounding, dark ambiant: Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, etc.)

nakia

First Post
Davelozzi said:
The three of them perform "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" on that Blue Kentucky Girl album that I was just talking about, but other than that, no. This is the first Emmylou Harris album that I've picked up, previously most of my exposure to her was via Gram Parsons. And more recently, she sings on two or three tunes of Elvis Costello's The Delivery Man album. At any rate, I've been enjoying everything I've heard so far.

Yeah, I liked a lot of the same stuff, and then went through a long period of not getting into any new rap, but the past few years I've been listening to Jurassic 5. I like 'em, and would recommend checking them out. Also, though not new, if you like hardcore gangsta rap, I heartily recommend Geto Boy's 1995 reunion album The Ressurection. One of the two Geto Boys tunes featured on the Office Space Soundtrack is from this album ("Still", not "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta").

Emmylou Harris also sings on two or three songs on the other new Bright Eyes folk album. She is awesome.

My brother has been trying to get me to listen to Jurassic 5 for a long time. I'll definitly have to check them out. I've kinda moved away from the gangsta stuff. Like a lot of the hardcore stuff I listened to in high school, I'm just not that angry anymore. :)

Welverin

First Post
Rock.

But a few examples are:
They Might Be Giants
Rancid
Arrogant Worms (anyone else hear of them, particularly the Canadians among us).
Collective Soul
Ash
Tom Petty (with or without the Heartbreakers)
Less Than Jake
Lynyrd Skynyrd

o.k. maybe more than a few

Torm said:
20. Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit

You need to see a doctor, because clearly you've suffered a terrible head injury.

Or to put it another way, this cover is so bad it makes me like the original less.

Pozatronic

First Post
If I wasn't such a geek with bad fashion sense I'd be a hipster.

On!Air!Library!, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Stars, Sleater-Kinney, Broken Social Scene, Metric, The Dears,...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead...(tell me that doesn't sound like the title for an old D&D module), Juno, The Decemberists, Belle & Sebastion, Pavement, Death Cab For Cutie, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Blood Brothers, American Analog Set, Pinback, the Unicorns, Versus, the Walkmen,Long Hind Legs, Rainer Maria,Wesley Willis...

the list goes on. I'm pretty much still an indie kid at heart.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Today, I have listened to Yvonne Chaka Chaka (pop/African music, from South Africa), Wumpscut (gothic/industrial), Static X (hard rock/metal), Spahn Ranch (gothic/rock), and the Spice Girls (bubblegum pop). Try and find a pattern in THAT. :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Shockingly enough, my favorite sort of music is trance (my username is a play on DiscoStu from the Simpsons).

Right now my favorite songs are Duende - Amor de Dios; Marksun & Brian - Gran Rey (Ronski Speed Mix); Skylab 9 - Naked in the Rain; Envio - Love Poison; Whiteroom feat Amy Cooper - Someday

Probably my all time favorites are The Space Brothers and Lange. I pretty much like all their stuff. Favorite DJs would be Christopher Lawrence, Suzy Solar, Armin Van Buuren.

Though I also like Disco. The longer, dancier sort of disco, not the Abba/KC & the Sunshine Band stuff (though it's hard to not like Abba), the stuff that was meant for clubs & DJs, 8 minutes long or so at least.

And most other sorts of dance music. House and Breakbeat anyway.

And of course, 80s new wave stuff, which is sort of a slight evolution of Disco in some cases.

And I sorta like industrial and EBM. I like the sillier, dancier stuff, like My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult.

I used to like Classic Rock, but I pretty much know every song by heart from most the major bands. Though I really stopped listening to it when my favorite rock band (School of Fish) broke up.

Remove ads