Music Tastes

Maerdwyn

First Post
I like classic country (Cash, Nelson, and Cline are my favorites), classic rock of most sorts (Clapton, CSN&Y, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac and Allman Brothers are most representative here). For 80's era-ish stuff, I'm into John Mellancamp, Guns N Roses, Stray Cats, and REM as examples. For newer stuff, I like random assortments of music for which I can't really think of good representatives - maybe No Doubt ( although mostly for Tragic Kingdom) and Beck.

*blushes* I am a closet Neil Diamond fan.

Ferret

Explorer
I usually say I like it all except opera. More detail: I like any kind of music so long as it has energy or feeling, from Linkin Park to McFly, from Evanescence to Metallica. And I generally think of songs individually rather than by the artists, so I might like Toxic but not Oops I Did It Again.

Maerdwyn said:
*blushes* I am a closet Neil Diamond fan.
:lol: I'm not even closet about liking his older stuff. Cherry Cherry, Red Red Wine, etc. are all brilliant.

Besides, that still beats being a closet Neil Sedaka fan... :p

Torm

Explorer
Ferret said:
I usually say I like it all except opera.
Try "Don Giovanni" by Mozart, and you might have to add 'most' in front of 'opera' in the above sentence. :) (It will help if you know ahead of time that he wrote it primarily about his father, though.)

Ferret said:
And I generally think of songs individually rather than by the artists, so I might like Toxic but not Oops I Did It Again.
Me, too. But I like both of those. :cool:

Torm

Explorer
hong said:
I'm noticing a distinct lack of Abba in this thread.
Darn you hong! Now I haven't been able to get "Take A Chance On Me" out of my head all day long! It's a good song, but it won't stop playing, over and over again! :lol:

Felikeries

First Post
'EVIL' speed metal of course....

well 'HAMMERFALL' & 'DUNGEON' and 'LIEGE LORD' and 'HELLOWEEN'

happen to frequent the use of the cd player

but there's a damn 'coo' taking place on the radio in L.A. there's no metal radio,it's
hell,i hate it,how can they be so stupid!!!

gamecat

Explorer
Electronica, all genres - i gravitate between them.

True favorite being Hardcore, but alternating between Minimal/Detroit Techno, IDM, Trance, House, and ambient.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Right now I'm mostly listening to Finnish metal (Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, specifically...Tony Kakko's few singing parts on Over the Hills and Far Away are great.)

I'm also listening to Iron Maiden. Recently: Metallica, general classical, Enya, Rob Zombie, KoRn (long ago), Zao, AFI, and probably some others that don't spring to mind.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Torm said:
Ever heard the stuff Emmylou Harris did with Trio (Dolly Parton, Linda Rondstadt)? "Those Memories" and "Telling Me Lies" still make it onto CDs for my car, from time to time. Awesome.

The three of them perform "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" on that Blue Kentucky Girl album that I was just talking about, but other than that, no. This is the first Emmylou Harris album that I've picked up, previously most of my exposure to her was via Gram Parsons. And more recently, she sings on two or three tunes of Elvis Costello's The Delivery Man album. At any rate, I've been enjoying everything I've heard so far.

nakia said:
I am desperately searching for some good rap/hip-hop. In high school, I listenend to a lot of it -- De la Soul, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Public Enemy. But I have not really explored rap/hip-hop in a long time. I like Jay-Z's stuff, but don't own an album. Any suggestions? I think I would like Nas, or maybe even Kanye West

Yeah, I liked a lot of the same stuff, and then went through a long period of not getting into any new rap, but the past few years I've been listening to Jurassic 5. I like 'em, and would recommend checking them out. Also, though not new, if you like hardcore gangsta rap, I heartily recommend Geto Boy's 1995 reunion album The Ressurection. One of the two Geto Boys tunes featured on the Office Space Soundtrack is from this album ("Still", not "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta").

Remove ads