Music Tastes

Psion

Adventurer
I generally rue most Rap and (to a lesser extent) Country. I also hate anyone who has to wear their anti-establishment message on their sleeves, regardless of talent (but it seems most use it as a substitute for talent...)

What I do like - I could used to peg my "styles", but as I got older, style became less important than talent. I like a variety of artists around the map -- I like a little alternative, a little ska, a little classic rock, a little metal, etc.

The mainstays with me are somewhat off-the-wall artists with thoughful lyrics, and I also have a hankering for female vocalists (again, as I get older, I tend to go for those that have talent over mere pop princesses.)

Some artists I like include:

They Might Be Giants
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Bjork (insert an uhmlaut in there somewhere)
The Cult
Jewel
Tori Amos
Norah Jones
Metallica (black albumn and before)
Sarah McLachlan
Enya
Holst, Wagner (that's classical, folks)
INXS

I used to like Rocky Horror, but after getting a friend hooked on it that played the soundtrack OVER and OVER, I could care less if I never heard it again...

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
acceptance, beautiful mistake, noise ratchet, yellowcard, thrice, dogwood, thursday, brandtson, sunny day real estate, hum, appleseed cast, benton falls, makeshift3, value pac, living sacrifice, zao, side walk slam, mxpx, relient k, smashing pumkins, zwan, deftones, nodes of ranvier, these 5 down, disciple, mae, emery, calibretto (13), fairbanks, alkaline trio, a fire inside, anadevine, the big collapse, underoath, blindside, project 86, stavesacre, hangnail, lyndsay diaries, eisley, cool hand luke, dead poetic, beloved, the blamed, man alive, boysetsfire, coheed and cambria, skillet, monday morning, the here, ghoti hook, further seems forever, echocast, six feet deep, sepultura, 238, the juliana theory, switchfoot, sleeping at last, bleu, thousand foot krutch, five iron frenzy, stretch arm strong, fewleftstanding, the attra machine, farewell for tonight, the tasty snax, officer negative, mewithoutyou, embodyment, brand new, godspeed you black emporer, the cure, mineral, elliot, denison marrs, finch, lifehouse, starflyer 59, the evan anthem, too bad eugene, wilco, the showdown, moments in grace, lovedrug, dismissed, fletcher, the pale, divebomber, showbread, he is legend, vroom

Small smattering of bands and artists I enjoy, taken from my myspac elist. Some of them are a big more famous and popular than others.

And no, I don't listen to Nirvana, but I did when I was like 15.

Well, I guess I'm nobody then. Because I listen to a lot of those groups. ;)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Back in the day, I was a total junkie for pop and hair metal. After I got out on my own, I think I got a bit of nostalgia for the music my parents used to listen to and I picked up a fair bit of John Denver, Jim Croce, Credence and the Eagles. Over time I became a big fan of Jackson Browne and an even bigger Parrothead.

A dozen years ago I began to listen to more and more Country and my radio dial stays there most of the time, which I guess puts me in the VAST minority here and with the RPG community at large.

As far as Country goes, I like Country music that sounds like Country music and not Pop music done by a country star (I'm looking at you, Shania - and I'm likin' what I see but not so much what I hear). I just picked up Brad Paisley's Mud on the Tires and it is one of the best albums I've heard in years. I also got George Strait's 50 Number One Hits for Christmas and there is a reason that these songs went to #1 (and a reason he's had 50 of them too).

ph34r

First Post
RithTheAwakener said:
Trance for life.

^^ What he said! :D

DJ Tiesto, Blank and Jones, Iio, BT, Ian Van Dahl, Lasgo, Eric Prydz, Alice Deejay, Angel City, Danni Minogue, Safri Duo, Cosmic Gate, Delerium, Brooklyn Bounce, Watergate, 4 Strings, Armin Van Buuren, DJ Icey, just to name a few.

And yes, www.di.fm does roxorz your boxorz! ;)

Torm

Explorer
Rel said:
which I guess puts me in the VAST minority here and with the RPG community at large.
I dunno. A lot of them say they don't like Country, but it never fails to amaze me how many of them will pick right up singing along with "Ruby" by Kenny Rogers if you start it up. :D

Rel said:
As far as Country goes, I like Country music that sounds like Country music and not Pop music done by a country star (I'm looking at you, Shania - and I'm likin' what I see but not so much what I hear).
I think part of the problem is that Country is actually about 5 different genres that all ride on each other to try to sell to the same audience: 1. Bluegrass, 2. "Classic" - stuff like Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, older Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson, 3. "New Country" - most George Strait and Randy Travis, Hank Williams Jr., 4. Easy Listening crossover - "we don't know where this goes, but it is closest to country," like Ronnie Milsap and Anne Murray, and 5. MTV Country - most Garth Brooks (the biggest culprit, IMO, btw, not Shania), Shania Twain, and Faith Hill.

I like some of all of it, but I do almost think its time for there to be a formal division of these categories (maybe not with my exact names), in much the same way "Ska" is not Big Band or Punk, to make it easier for people to find stuff that is similar to what they like.

P.S. If you want to be really afraid for the future of Country, take a look at the Billboard 2004 Year-End Top 100. It indicates CD sales. The chart is dominated by really obscene gangsta Rap and intensely redneck Country - the two categories of music that, in my estimation, are preferred by large numbers of people who don't understand file-sharing networks or Internet stores, and still BUY the majority of their music as CDs. (And no, to those of you who like either, I'm not calling you stupid - obviously, you're using a web forum, so......) I can't help but wonder how long it will be before record companies try to hybridize the two to save on production and sell to both groups at the same time - they've already made advances that way, with "Over and Over" by Nelly ft. Tim McGraw. I'm afraid the upcoming "Dukes of Hazzard" movie may be the catalyst for a more massive push....

Davelozzi

Explorer
Torm said:
1. Bluegrass, 2. "Classic" - stuff like Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, older Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson,

I like these two aspects of country, but I don't go for most of what gets played on current country stations.

For bluegrass, I heartily recommend to anyone the Rhino records compilation Appalachian Stomp: Bluegrass Classics. The second volume, Appalachian Stomp: More Bluegrass Classics it not nearly as solid as the first, though it's still pretty good. Another good one that we have here is The Three Pickers (Earl Scruggs/Doc Watson/Ricky Skaggs.

For classic country, I like Willy enough, and some Kenny Rogers, but Johnny Cash is the king. The wife and I have been crankin' him a lot lately, both his older stuff from the two disc retrospective The Essential Johnny Cash and his last album, The Man Comes Around, which is an excellent album, though hauntingly sad. I also dig Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, and have newly acquired and have been enjoying her album Blue Kentucky Girl.

I also dig it when other artists dip into country for an album here and there, like the Byrds did with Sweethearts of the Rodeo, and Elvis Costello did with Almost Blue, and to a lesser extent, on his recent album The Delivery Man. Some of Neil Young's best stuff leans towards country a little too, though I'd still classify most of it as folk or rock.

Pinotage

Explorer
Classical music for the most part, but I do like the occasional pop/mainstream song, or possibly punky type music. Current favourites include Avril Lavigne, Pink, Lucie Sillvas but there were good songs from Black Eyed Peas and Evanescence. I think in the old end it boils down to me pretty much liking what's on the charts. Other than that, give me some classical music that falls into my taste and I'm a happy chappy. :)

Pinotage

Torm

Explorer
hong said:
I'm noticing a distinct lack of Abba in this thread.
Well, I was thinking more contemporary when I made my list, but sure, ABBA was the bomb. "Super Trouper" is one of my all time favorite songs. And as far as "Dancing Queen" goes, well, do you want to hear the version by ABBA, ABBAteen, Sixpence None The Richer, Jennifer Love Hewitt, U2, Kylie Minogue, or S Club 7? 'Cause they're all in my Music Library right now. Along with versions of "Take a Chance On Me" by ABBA, ABBAteen, and Erasure. :eek:

And one of the members of ABBA, Frida, had a solo song called "I Know There's Something Going On" that still rocks pretty heavily. :D

I even like "Fernando." :heh:

Remove ads