Music Tastes

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
Add me to the Ecclectic crowd. I don't so much listen to a Genre as I do patterns of melody and beat. When I have to hunt out random radio however, usually the Classic Rock or Modern Country station occupies my bandwidth. As for bands/composers I gravitate back to, Rush, Aerosmith, Vivaldi, Weird Al, Luke Ski, KISS, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Cher, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rockapella, Apocalyptica, some Techno Gregorian stuff, Meatloaf, some movie soundtracks (Rocky Horror and Cats, for instance). More Brahms than Beethoven, more Chad Brock than Dwight Yokum, more or less... Anomalous. :)

Torm

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
Question, any idea where you can find said fan film for viewing?
Sure - click on this:

You can even download the song I referred to as an MP3, straight from there. :D

Mercule

Adventurer
IamTheTest said:
If you want to get into Jazz Id recommend Wynton Marsalles. He is one of the 4 best trumpet players of all time, and the only one that is still breathing. I had the opprotunity to see him live in Akron once and it blew my mind. He is essential for a jazz collection.

Hey, what do you think of Ryan Kisor? He was in my high school class and I know he's played with Marsalles and other "names", but it isn't my sort of music, so I've never bothered paying attension. Sorry. Train of thought hijack.

Mercule

Adventurer
Back on topic

I'm not really sure what you'd call my kind of music. I used to listen to what one guy called "Music to slit your wrist by." I've never cared for some staples, though, like The Cure. Mostly, I listen to stuff in the gray area between metal, goth, punk, and pop. Peter Gabriel is probably my all-time favorite, but I also listen to Rob Zombie.

Some artists that rank on top or are significant:
Peter Gabriel
Rob Zombie
Portishead
Curve
Machines of Loving Grace
Oingo Boingo
Sixpence None the Richer
Sheila Nicholls
Bad Religion
Led Zeppelin
INXS
Space Hog
Bif Naked
Faith No More
Corrs

A few others are hit-and-miss, but can really hit me hard:
Sisters of Mercy
Seal
Vanessa Carlton
Hillary Duff (yeah, processed)
Beth HartPowerman 5000
Brand New (Sic Transit Gloria is great, but their other stuff is lacking)
Neil Diamond
Stacie Orrico
Goldfrapp
Switchfoot
Natalie Merchant
Evanescence
Collective Soul
Jewel

Impeesa

Explorer
What do I like? Good music. Easily my favorite musician of all time is the multitalented Mike Oldfield, whose extensive 30-year discography encompasses all the best genres (IMHO ;)): rock, folk, new age/ambient, experimental, celtic, world, orchestral, etc...

Coming in close after are a bunch of specific categories - any sort of progressive pop/rock (see Peter Gabriel, Rush), modern experiments in punk/metal (see Mudmen, Nightwish), assorted video game stuff (particularly the well-arranged remixes - say, Chrono Trigger's jazzy Brink of Time, or the good stuff from Overclocked Remix), and then a whole bunch of whatever. I loves me my music in all its forms. :)

CronoDekar said:
Guilty pleasures include video game music (particularly battle themes -- I love The Black Mages)

Black Mages = great driving music. :) Might I also recommend the Guilty Gear X Heavy Rock Tracks album, the F-Zero X Guitar arranged album, and the entire Konami Battle series (Shooting Battle I & II, Dracula Battle I & II, and Snatcher Battle)? ;)

--Impeesa--

ASH

First Post
It would be easier to tell you the kinds of music I dont like:
Speed Metal, most Techno, alot of Jazz, and Swing/Big Band stuff; and hard core punk.
Pretty much everything else i like.

I love alot of pop. I like whats on the radio; I like indy stuff; I like everything from Classical, to Show Tunes, to Country and Hip-Hop.

Some of my favorite recent groups/artists:
Sarah Mclaughlan, Cake, Garth Brooks, Foo Fighters, The Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Audioslave, Evenesence, TLC, Jay-z, The Dixie Chicks, Chris Izzack, Alison Krause, Jewel, Dave Matthew's Band, The Barnaked Ladies, and Norah Jones.

Classic stuff is great too: Beatles, Zepplin, Stones, Clapton, Sabbath, Dylan, and a multitude of others I am forgetting...

(please exuse any spelling mistakes, i am not totally awake...:)

derelictjay

Explorer
I'm into metal though all the years, '90s years the most (my teenage years). I listen to a lot of classic rock and just rock in general. Oh, yeah, love listening to the blues for those mellow moments. Of the other genres Hip Hop and Pop are barely on my radar, Rap I can't stand (though I got my reasons, I won't mention them here), and as for Country I've learned to tolerate it, as living in Texas, people expect you to listen to it, so coutnry music's alway playing almost everywhere.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Okay, looking over my shoulder to my CD collection, here's a list of favorites that stand out...
The Band
The Beatles
Beck
Belly
Bjork
David Bowie
Built to Spill
The Byrds
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Creedence
Dinosaur Jr. (& other J. Mascis)
Bob Dylan
The Flaming Lips
The Fugees
Ice Cube
The Kinks
Jurassic 5
Joni Mitchell
Morphine
Nirvana
Pavement
Pixies (and Frank Black solo)
Pink Floyd
Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers)
Public Enemy
Ramones
Lou Reed
R.E.M.
The Replacments
Rush
Silver Jews
Paul Simon
Sonic Youth
Steely Dan
Sugar (and other Bob Mould/Husker Du)
Talking Heads (and David Byrne solo)
10,000 Maniacs
A Tribe Called Quest
U2
Velvet Undergound
Violent Femmes
Tom Waits
Wilco
The Who
Neil Young

Of those, the ones I've been actively listening to most in the past few years are the Flaming Lips (my current favorite), Bowie, Beck, Elvis Costello, Pixies, Wilco, Sonic Youth, and Pavement. Others that I listed get less play from me these days (Rush, Replacements, U2, Pettty, The Byrds) but have long since earned their place in my list of favorites.

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
Add me to the eclectic list, though these days I listen to a lot of 'classical' music - actually more a mix of Baroque(Bach, Hummel), Romantic (Beethoven, Chopin) and Modern (Bryars, Nyman) and some pop/rock/blues/folk - Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, PJ Harvey, Robert Cray, Franz Ferdinand, Portishead, Ash, Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen.

Funnily enough even though I was a big metalhead as a teenager I don't listen too much to those bands anymore, though I still listen to Led Zep, but Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, AC/DC don't often get a play at the moment.

Remove ads