D&D 5E My happiness or yours.

Ichneumon

First Post
Well Wizards of the Coast wasn't creating another current edition on the side that was to my liking so 4th edition was what I had to endure until the next one came along. I don't want a repeat of an edition I would rather watch paint dry than play.

Damn, that's rough. Perhaps we'll see a book called "5 Years a 4e Slave" hitting the self-help section before long. Going by a comment upstream, you did it out of a sense of obligation to a friend who'd bought 4e materials. If your group kept playing after the initial 'give it a go' phase even though they hated the game, that was a mistake. Edition changes have to be something the whole group is happy with, and your friend had options for getting their 4e fix elsewhere. Though I'm sure you realise that now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To a lot of us, it was like visiting a friend who's house smells like dog s&$t.

The primary problem with the "always negative" position is that you always have to say something bad, and unless you want to get repetitive, you have to keep upping the ante on how nasty a thing you're going to say. And that, eventually, gains the interest of the moderators, who see that you've tried to get around the language filter just to say something bad about a game.

This is not constructive criticism. It is not critique. It is just, "Hey, let's insult a game!" It is edition warring. We have had more than enough of it. Please stop. We get it - you don't like the game.

Go spend some time and energy on something constructive. Go start a thread in which you talk about how awesome and cool your last gaming session was, without comparing it to another game, or using it to make snide comments about things other folks play.

If you can't manage that, at least stay withing board rules in the future, please.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
YOU are the one pining about how you had to "endure" 4e and comparing playing it to hanging out in a house reeking of dog poop. I don't think anybody else is doing the over-the-top exaggeration on the same level that you are, to be honest, and it's completely disingenuous to pretend that anyone else's comments are even on the same level as your dogpoop comments.

It's fine to want- and hope- that WotC will put out a game you like. It's completely ridiculous to expect them to make a game that you will like at the expense of others.

Do you actually live in the real world, or do you live in a fantasy world? Every edition made comes at the expense of others. Let's not try and paint the picture with happy colours. 4th edition came at the cost of 3rd edition fan's happiness. The game was so radically different that half the fanbase left. Same goes with 4th edition Forgotten Realms. No edition can please everybody and since a playtest has been done, people have outlined what they want and what they don't want. The designers will have to decide what they are going to do and who they are going to make happy and who is going to be unhappy. A good portion of the fanbase has already stated they don't like damage on a miss and the designers know this, if they leave it in anyway then they have chosen the happiness of those who like it at the expense of those who don't. It's not rocket science.

oxybe

Explorer
Do you actually live in the real world, or do you live in a fantasy world? Every edition made comes at the expense of others. Let's not try and paint the picture with happy colours. 4th edition came at the cost of 3rd edition fan's happiness. The game was so radically different that half the fanbase left. Same goes with 4th edition Forgotten Realms. No edition can please everybody and since a playtest has been done, people have outlined what they want and what they don't want. The designers will have to decide what they are going to do and who they are going to make happy and who is going to be unhappy. A good portion of the fanbase has already stated they don't like damage on a miss and the designers know this, if they leave it in anyway then they have chosen the happiness of those who like it at the expense of those who don't. It's not rocket science.

i think the saddest thing of all this is the fact that you kept playing a game you didn't like instead of giving your seat to someone else. any "enduring" you did was entirely self-inflicted.

that WotC stopped producing 3rd ed material does nothing to devalue the material already out there. complete arcane is still complete arcane post-3rd ed and the magic item compendium didn't magically lose half it's content. it's still there.

the lack of official material being produced for any given system isn't a problem for most gamers i know. the core books have a lot of stuff to play with and what sourcebooks i did buy expanded my game quite a bit, add to this the free fanstuffs i can at least grab ideas from should my own mind draw a creative blank and to call the end of an edition the final nail in it's coffin, well i find that laughable.

by that train of thought 1st ed should be dead and gone but the OSR is a thing and people still play 1st.

again, any suffering you had to go through during 4th ed's run is entirely self-inflicted on your part and you get no sympathy from me.

i don't like a game, i don't play it. i play the games i do like, regardless if new material is made by the parent company or not.

my only advice to you is this : stop hitting yourself.

Uller

Adventurer
My happiness is based entirely on the poorly named fighter class. It's such namby pamby political correctness. Fighting Man that says "Thee" and "Thou" is the only way to go. I've had to endure 38 years of this "fighter" nonsense...Good thing "fighter" didn't playtest well.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
i think the saddest thing of all this is the fact that you kept playing a game you didn't like instead of giving your seat to someone else. any "enduring" you did was entirely self-inflicted.

that WotC stopped producing 3rd ed material does nothing to devalue the material already out there. complete arcane is still complete arcane post-3rd ed and the magic item compendium didn't magically lose half it's content. it's still there.

the lack of official material being produced for any given system isn't a problem for most gamers i know. the core books have a lot of stuff to play with and what sourcebooks i did buy expanded my game quite a bit, add to this the free fanstuffs i can at least grab ideas from should my own mind draw a creative blank and to call the end of an edition the final nail in it's coffin, well i find that laughable.

by that train of thought 1st ed should be dead and gone but the OSR is a thing and people still play 1st.

again, any suffering you had to go through during 4th ed's run is entirely self-inflicted on your part and you get no sympathy from me.

i don't like a game, i don't play it. i play the games i do like, regardless if new material is made by the parent company or not.

my only advice to you is this : stop hitting yourself.

Why would I give my seat to someone else when you are playing at a friend's private game?

That comment makes no sense.

Remove ads