• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My happiness or yours.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
Yeah, seriously. Please tell us how the WotC goon squad came to your residence and forced you to endure 4e.....I need some adventure hooks for a Top Secret S.I. game.

I mean, I was somehow able to avoid 4e after I played the initial demo from the gameday when it came out. I didn't even think about it for a couple years prior to 5e being announced.

(I did find it odd that after I posted on FaceBook that I didn't care for 4e, that some of my old Grenadier lead minis from the 80s mysteriously melted, some of my old Gamescience dice were reduced to powder, and somebody scrawled "MEARLS WUZ HEAR!!" across the Efreet's face on my 1e DMG. But that still didn't phase me. I essentially skipped 4e.)

Yeah, I always love these over the top exaggeration answers that seem to come out instead of actually reading the thread and giving some constructive feedback.

You know god damn well there isn't a goon squad. I already play Pathfinder but I'm ready to play a new edition of D&D that makes me happy.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
As an official note - if the discussion does not stay polite and friendly, and free of edition warring, it'll get shut down here too.

Sorry, but from my perspective, this is not a realistic position, as it is based upon a false assumption.

This position hinges on the phrase, "it's my turn." This indicates a sense of entitlement. We, as consumers, are not entitled to anything from the company. If they make a product we like, we buy it. If not, we don't buy. And that's where it ends. Previous business with them doesn't mean they are under obligation to serve your particular desires in the future.

WotC has tens and hundreds of thousands of customers, if not millions. They cannot, as a practical matter, be under obligation to serve our desires in such a manner.

Of course it's realistic. Do you purchase products intended for entertainment purposes if you don't find them fun? Does fun make you happy? I don't know about you but if I'm not having fun then I'm not happy which means that company doesn't get my money. I feel I do have a right to get my turn this go around, not saying I will get it, but if WoTc has t make a choice between what I like and what someone else likes then I them to choose what I like. Anybody here that says different is just fooling themselves. We all what we want at the end of the day. I don't spend my hard earned money on a game that Umbran likes, unless it's a game we both like.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
lolwut.jpg

Man, when you start out with some paranoid conspiracy theory about being silenced, it does not lead me to trust your views in general. This is the Internet, kiddo, if NAMBLA and white supremacists and talk radio blowhards can have websites, then any fool thing with enough goofuses believing in it can get a voice with which to speak.

How terrified you must be of other people.

Compromise is not always possible, but this isn't a zero-sum game. We can both be happy. Happiness is an abundant resource, and what's more, you can make it yourself.

Honestly, it's gonna be OK, mate. You're not in any real danger of having your happiness stolen by others. You can not get what you want and still be happy. It might be hard, but if what you want, in the end, is to be happy, it'd probably be worth it, right?

Well kiddo, this isn't about a conspiracy theory. I've been visiting the WoTc forums since they started and this is nothing new. I thought they were past all this by now, but I guess not. Wizards have a habit of shutting down threads that people can rally behind. The thread wasn't just locked, it was actually removed as all as all the responses. There was no edition war at all.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
I'm not sure there's much in the way of a conspiracy at all.

Actually, on the playtest forums, the only people that have complained about a conspiracy of shutting down their discussions have been yourself, Brock_Landers(who's been recently permabanned from here), and MltKnight/JessicaT/[insert whatever other number of screennames he has](better known here as Gorgoth, who has also been permabanned from here).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've never had any discussion with the folks who make or enact policy over at WotC's boards. Nor do I spend time there.

But, with the number of folks they have to deal with, and how badly some folks act sometimes, I find it difficult to think of it as mustache-twirling conspiracy. Simple exasperation and intractability might bring them to just say, "Screw it, kill the whole darned thing."

barrowwight

Explorer
Yeah, I always love these over the top exaggeration answers that seem to come out instead of actually reading the thread and giving some constructive feedback.

You know god damn well there isn't a goon squad. I already play Pathfinder but I'm ready to play a new edition of D&D that makes me happy.

Are you not happy with Pathfinder?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well kiddo, this isn't about a conspiracy theory. I've been visiting the WoTc forums since they started and this is nothing new. I thought they were past all this by now, but I guess not. Wizards have a habit of shutting down threads that people can rally behind. The thread wasn't just locked, it was actually removed as all as all the responses. There was no edition war at all.

Well, the good news is, when this thread gets locked eventually ( and I predict a greater than 50% chance of happening), it won't get deleted at least, because they're not in a habit of doing that here.

In regards to your earlier comment about others not being constructive, I'm not really seeing the constructive nature of a series of posts defending your desire to be happy over a game being constructive, either. It's one thing to come to a forum, state, "this is what I want to see out of a certain game," and leave it at that, clarifying questions to your response if needed. But it seems counter productive to assume that any opposition is counterproductive to you getting your point across. Jus posting your piece and moving on is a lot more productive than getting an entire community so riled up the moderators start slashing and burning like Cossacks on le Grande Armee.

I'm oddly reminded about the "would you play your least favorite edition" thread and there are people who will sacrifice a bit of their happiness for others if those others are good friends. If you aren't happy with the RPG you're currently playing, there are dozens of others who will gladly accept your money and time.

MarkB

Legend
1. You are not obliged to buy or play anything that WotC produces.

2. WotC are not obliged to produce anything that you would want to buy or play.

Let go of your sense of dependency upon a single publisher, and you'll find plenty of games to be happy about.

Remove ads