• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mysterious power IC thread

Taliz

First Post
I would learn more of this, if you will let me. There is much I do not know of these lands - remember I am not from this kingdom, and, regardless, human memories are short. I would also do what I can to make this better - though I know not what that may be. Please, let me into your councils - I am of neither the human world nor the Elven, perhaps I can offer a beneficial outsider's viewpoint.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
I would learn more of this, if you will let me. There is much I do not know of these lands - remember I am not from this kingdom, and, regardless, human memories are short. I would also do what I can to make this better - though I know not what that may be. Please, let me into your councils - I am of neither the human world nor the Elven, perhaps I can offer a beneficial outsider's viewpoint.

"What more is there to say? Two hundred years ago, all of Vanchild was a forest. There were twoscore elves for every man. Harmony reigned: men in their villages, beasts in the wood, elves above in the treetops, dwarves in their dark caves beneath. Perhaps 180 years ago, the towns united, working as one for trade, defense, and conquest. Now the forest is gone, save only Glithimem and Fastia.

Elves do not grow quickly under the best circumstances, and recovering from this blow will take centuries in the best case. With the human extent as far as it is now, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain through direct action. How long will our forest last if we do nothing? Three decades? No, we will draw the line. I hope to see it done without needless bloodshed, but it may be inevitable. 'Blood feeds the soil as quickly as it stains it', it is said."

"You can request to speak with the Council, but it is doubtful that they would hear you."

Taliz

First Post
How long will the Forest last if you do nothing? How long will it last if you start a war? The humans are mobilized and so are the dwarves. Do not think dwarves will allow such lucrative trading partners as the humans to be destroyed - you saw how they acted to protect them against the monsters. That was but an army of volunteers - imagine the whole city mobilized, or even just how many might volunteer to fight Elves? And even if you win here, this is a large kingdom, in a land of large kingdoms. You doom every elf outside this place to death and even yourselves, for humans always will try to take back what is "theirs." I know not elvish numbers, but I doubt you have the strength to destroy Brightstone with enough speed and terror to keep all men away. Nor the power to hold your borders against the inevitable fools and heroes. I know of war - even Elvish military might cannot destroy thousands of men before others aid them.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
How long will the Forest last if you do nothing? How long will it last if you start a war? The humans are mobilized and so are the dwarves. Do not think dwarves will allow such lucrative trading partners as the humans to be destroyed - you saw how they acted to protect them against the monsters. That was but an army of volunteers - imagine the whole city mobilized, or even just how many might volunteer to fight Elves?

"I am no general, nor a leader among my people. Indeed, most still know me as a child... I can sense the feelings of the elves, but I dobt I can sway them.

War is never a rational act, and those who would have blood shed are less so than most. Once they realized that they had little chance of success regardless of what they did, they seem to have decided to make their stand, their mark, now and here."

Taliz said:
And even if you win here, this is a large kingdom, in a land of large kingdoms. You doom every elf outside this place to death and even yourselves, for humans always will try to take back what is "theirs." I know not elvish numbers, but I doubt you have the strength to destroy Brightstone with enough speed and terror to keep all men away. Nor the power to hold your borders against the inevitable fools and heroes. I know of war - even Elvish military might cannot destroy thousands of men before others aid them.

"Already I suspect messengers have been dispatched to Fastia, which above all Men fear. I do not pretend to know the will of the Council, but I might harard a guess: they are bringing the last of our allies together. What that would portend, were it to come to pass, is clearer than the surrounding future.

The Men are fortunate that we are so sundered from our bretheren: the Eastern elves, famed for their magic since before Men spoke, are estranged; the forest-elves by Renemer would not come to our aid through the desert, and the elves from the far West have returned to the dust. Who is left for the elves to call on in their hour of need?

I tell myself that their small numbers may cool their heads and stay their hand, but patience -- even elven patience -- has its limits. I do not wish conflict, but can I stop it?"

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
What would be required of Men for the Elves to call off this attack. What would appease your people?

"I don't know. This move has been long in the making, and may yet be delayed. Do not overestimate the patience of my people, though; we may live ten times longer than men, but our choices do not take ten times as long.

The elves want whatthey have wanted for most of their lives: sovereignty and territory. 'How much?' is a questiion I am not qualified to answer."

Taliz

First Post
Then perhaps we should ask the Council. Humans are fearful creatures - and practical. Ask for something, something at least slightly reasonable. Complete Sovereignty of the forest, replanting, a buffer of land to be patrolled by men to keep their own kind out, lest they face physical or monetary retribution. There are ways of dealing with this. There are enough enemies for men and elves to fight - they need not attack one another.

Taliz

First Post
And perhaps, you could do even more than simply ask . . . compromise pleases no one, but sometimes things can be forced to a head . . .

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
Then perhaps we should ask the Council. Humans are fearful creatures - and practical. Ask for something, something at least slightly reasonable. Complete Sovereignty of the forest, replanting, a buffer of land to be patrolled by men to keep their own kind out, lest they face physical or monetary retribution. There are ways of dealing with this. There are enough enemies for men and elves to fight - they need not attack one another.

And perhaps, you could do even more than simply ask . . . compromise pleases no one, but sometimes things can be forced to a head . . .

"What would you suggest to the Council? The elves have sovereignty of their forest, though not through the decision of Men. Fredrick promises to replant large areas of the forest, but precious little has been done thus far.

Perhaps the truth is that without direct threat of outside force, men believe that they do not need to ally themselves with the elves. These lands have been peacefulfor so long... there are those, myself included, who do not remember the horror of war.

What compromise would you give? Pride on both sides complicates the issue."

Taliz

First Post
"Promises take time to fulfill - I would trust the Prince if I were you. Atleast as much as one can ever trust a Prince - he seems different than other nobles. compromises? I am not sure - I am not diplomat. Guarenteed, legal sovereignty over the forest, perhaps. Reparations, perhaps. I don't know - those are your job to work out. They should be possible.

As to the other things, is there an outside threat? What do you know of these things? Or perhaps this Great Elf is the one to ask? If there is, we would but have to prove it to the Prince to make this whole process easier. I have another idea, that may help your cause. But I fear I must consult Aldrik upon it before I can say anymore. I do not know as much of this situation as you - but it seems resolvable, and without overmuch bloodshed, if any."

Remove ads