• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mysterious power IC thread

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
I will send another letter to the Council - I'll write it myself, in Elvish.

To the Elven Council,
I know not the forms and pleasantries so forgive my bluntness. I seek a dialogue with you as the Emissary of Brightstone. I have much information you would find useful, as, at the Prince's behest, I also served as Brightstone's Military Advisor. You also have much information Brightstone, and indeed the Human race, needs, if peace among the good races of the world is to be maintained. I am no stranger to battle - I have killed and will no doubt kill again. But I would far rather kill the orcs that attempted to invade Brightstone but a few short days ago, than ever raise arms against the Elves. The Prince and Mayor of Brightstone agree with this sentiment.
Barcataliznartiel

I'll seal it with wax, but put no sigil (as I lack a ring)

Early the next morning, before you intended to wake, you are awakened:

"The Council has called for you!"

Hastily dressing, you are taken through the forest. You travel a long way, but it gives you a chance to come to full awakeness. Finally you come to a small clearing, where nine robed figures stand.

Spot 6 + 8 = 14

The nine are obviously elves, judging from their height and build. Three of them have long, white hair that extends past their hoods. Another has a small, light gray goatee -- elves can grow those? The elf furthest from you speaks, defying your expectations of pronunciation:

Elven: "Barcataliznartiel, thank you for answering." (That is, answering the summons.)

The elf on your immediate left speaks, in a strange accent you can't place:

"You bring tidings?"

Taliz

First Post
I do, but before I speak, I must ask to know exactly whom I am speaking to, and what power they have to act on my words.

[assuming a satisfactory answer]

Very well, and thank you. For years, outsiders have pecked at your borders. Recently, monsters penetrated your borders and armed men camped beneath your trees. Now men, in increasing numbers, are seen more and more often all around your forest. And, whether you where aware of it previously or not - 50 orcs came with in miles of your borders. Worry not - men dealt with them.

Today, I come to you as an Emissary of Peace. There are enough enemies of all the free peoples of this world, orcs monsters and worse, that men have no thought to attack their Elven Brethren. We seek peace. This is the will of Brightstone, and, though I cannot speak for the Prince officially,it is his will as well.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
I do, but before I speak, I must ask to know exactly whom I am speaking to, and what power they have to act on my words.

(I'm not sure that this will qualify as satisfactory, so I'm not yet reading/posting about the next part.)

The unusually tall elf to your immediate left speaks again:

"You address the elven Council, Barcataliznartiel." (Is that the second one who can pronounce your full name?) "Few of your kind address it. Fewer still of your particular stock."

One of the council members on the far side snaps his head to the side to face the speaker as he says the last sentence.

The far elf in the middle (the leader of the Council, you would suppose) raises a hand slightly, quieting the others, and speaks:

"It is not our tradition to introduce ourselves, but in the interests of diplomacy and reciprocity I will explain ourselves. Seven of our number are chosen by Glithimem as a whole, who as a group appoint a leader. Renemer sends a councilman, chosen by their ancient traditions."

The member on your right nods his head slightly in acknowledgement. You notice that he is somewhat shorter than the others, though still above six feet in height.

"The elves of the Eastern Mountians send the final member."

The elf on your left indicates himself with a slight gesture.

"Once we counted the Nothern elves among our number, as well, but that day is long past and yet to repeat itself."

Taliz

First Post
[Not quite satisfactory]

Thank you for doing so, though it goes against your tradition. But I must ask again - do you lead the Elves? Do you have the power to direct their actions?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
Thank you for doing so, though it goes against your tradition. But I must ask again - do you lead the Elves? Do you have the power to direct their actions?

The far figure speaks:

"We are the leaders of Glithimem, insofar as the elves have leaders in the human fashion."

Taliz

First Post
Very well, and thank you for your forbearance.

For years, outsiders have pecked at your borders. Recently, monsters penetrated into your forest and armed men camped beneath your trees. Now men, in increasing numbers, are seen more and more often all around you. And, whether you where aware of it previously or not - 50 orcs came with in miles of your borders. Worry not - men dealt with them.

Today, I come to you as an Emissary of Peace. There are enough enemies of all the free peoples of this world, orcs monsters and worse, that men have no thought to attack their Elven Brethren. We seek peace. This is the will of Brightstone, and, though I cannot speak for the Prince officially,it is his will as well.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
Very well, and thank you for your forbearance.

For years, outsiders have pecked at your borders. Recently, monsters penetrated into your forest and armed men camped beneath your trees. Now men, in increasing numbers, are seen more and more often all around you.

The white-haired elf on the right:

"As I recall, men brought the creatures into the Glithimem."

Taliz said:
And, whether you where aware of it previously or not - 50 orcs came with in miles of your borders. Worry not - men dealt with them.

"The men brought this on themselves, but this time they took care of their problem on their own -- commendable in a way, but ultimately a wash at best."

Sense Motive: 1 + 6 = 7

Taliz said:

The white-haired elf in the middle, furthest from you:

"Yes, there are monsters everywhere: orcs in the desert north of the mountains, unknown creatures from the east, Obad-Hai's bestial creatures here. It would be wise to not divide ourselves in such troubled times, and we must try to overlook our differences and our petty disagreements while we have time."

Spot: 2 + 8 = 10

The member on your left speaks sharply in a language you don't understand, turns, and walks from the clearing. Someone you didn't notice before, presumably an honor/body guard of sorts, turns and follows him.

There is a pause, and another member (to the direct right of the leader) turns and leaves, glancing momentarily at the elf to your right. There is another awkward pause, broken when the leader speaks:

"There are those who feel that as humans have brought this upon themselves, they should receive no aid. They would have the humans act as buffer, as indeed they do -- even as you just mentioned.

This view is fundamentally flawed, however; once the humans fail, we cannot stand, even against weakened enemies. More importantly, isolationism might end us entirely, at the whim of the humans. Even now, our population dwindles as does our land.

I can understand the position, as it has basis: I hold in my hand the last six treaties we have made with your country. Not one has been kept. Why would this be different?"

As he spoke, an elf from the woods placed a tray with six scrolls on his outstreched hand.

Taliz

First Post
Just to clarify, the creatures chased men into the Forest, and the Elves did Brightstone a great service by both harboring them and helping destroy the enemy. Brightstone has not forgotten, either.

And you say men brought an Orc invasion on themselves? I know little of that - in fact I know little of this whole realm, as I am not from it. But I was under the impression the Elves are enemies of all Orcs. Do you not care that they penetrated this closely to your home? Do you not worry that they slipped so easily through this buffer you speak of?

I agree that is not the way - speaking purely as a tactitian, one should not wait for one's enemies to attack you on their terms. That is never the way. One must force them into action - offensive or defensive it does not matter.

But is there some specific enemy you fear? Such is unknown to me - there have been many weird and violent happenings of late, but I see no pattern as of yet. Do elves, in their wisdom and with their wide sight, know more than men in this?

Speaking of things which you know more of than I, those six treaties are unknown to me. I am not from this place. Their contents, their contexts - these things are unknown to me. You should speak to the Prince or a historian for that. I can only tell you, I doubt the world was in the same place it is now. And I doubt the men in power were of the same heart and mind.

Now, so many of you have left. Do you still speak for the Elves? Can you still direct their course? [Is the elf who referred to my "stock" still there?]
[You are not as good with dice as I am. At least as far as Taliz and my luck-curve are concerned.]

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Taliz said:
Just to clarify, the creatures chased men into the Forest, and the Elves did Brightstone a great service by both harboring them and helping destroy the enemy. Brightstone has not forgotten, either.

Listen: 19 + 8 = 27

One of the elves choked back an indignant remark on hearing this last sentence.

Taliz said:
And you say men brought an Orc invasion on themselves? I know little of that - in fact I know little of this whole realm, as I am not from it. But I was under the impression the Elves are enemies of all Orcs. Do you not care that they penetrated this closely to your home? Do you not worry that they slipped so easily through this buffer you speak of?

The middle elf on your left:

"Men drove the orcs into the desert, where their bile grew unchecked. While orcs of both kinds have been called the great elf-banes, those to the north seek revenge against the men above all else."

The elf to your right:

"Orcs want manflesh, not trouble with elves. Not now."

He smiles, showing sharply filed teeth.

Taliz said:
I agree that is not the way - speaking purely as a tactitian, one should not wait for one's enemies to attack you on their terms. That is never the way. One must force them into action - offensive or defensive it does not matter.

But is there some specific enemy you fear? Such is unknown to me - there have been many weird and violent happenings of late, but I see no pattern as of yet. Do elves, in their wisdom and with their wide sight, know more than men in this?

The leader speaks:

"The orcs will not attack us directly. We would consider sending aid, were the men to ask for it. Today, we have no greater threat than men themselves."

Taliz said:
Speaking of things which you know more of than I, those six treaties are unknown to me. I am not from this place. Their contents, their contexts - these things are unknown to me. You should speak to the Prince or a historian for that. I can only tell you, I doubt the world was in the same place it is now. And I doubt the men in power were of the same heart and mind.

Now, so many of you have left. Do you still speak for the Elves? Can you still direct their course?

"The treaties were signed by the Kings of Vanchild. You may consult a historian if you are curious about their contents, but as they are not directly germane to this meeting.

If the current King cannot be held to the treaties of his forebearers, what good is dealing with them at all? Realize that I stood on this Council when the first of the human Kings took power.

The Council retains its power. The two who left have voted against you by departing."

Taliz said:
[Is the elf who referred to my "stock" still there?]
[You are not as good with dice as I am. At least as far as Taliz and my luck-curve are concerned.]

No, he's the first one who left. As far as rolling is concerned, you're more than welcome (as I may have mentioned?) to make any checks you know you'll need in your posts. Use the same format I use if you do so.

Taliz

First Post
What did they vote on? I did not realize a proposal was yet on the table. But please, let me say my piece before anyone more votes.
(continuing on)
I appreciate that offer of aid. I will take it to heart, though we all know that Orcs destroy - perhaps there current preference is for men, but such beasts are not known for the discriminant taste. They are, however, known for some base cunning - one should not underestimate them.

If, however, you feel men are your greatest enemy, I am both heartened and worried. I do not think that Vanchild bears you Elves malice - though I say again I am not from this place. However, I know as well as you that men will destroy for no other reason the fun, profit, or opportunity. Still, this means they will not come at you with sword and lance. Of this I am quite sure.

There is still room for talk. But as to your charge regarding the treaties - I have no answer. I am simply an intermediary, and an informal one at that. I can only offer you this - give me copies of those treaties, and I will take them to the Prince and ask him that question on your behalf.

(I'll talk a deep breath and than continue, speaking slowly and carefully.) As one of you observed - I am not human. As I have told you, I am not from this kingdom. I know how terrible men can be - how stupid, how weak, and how innocently, as well as purposefully, cruel, malicious, and evil. Despite my experiences, recent events have lead me to have a certain measure of respect for some of the humans in this area - and I came before you with their interests in mind. However, my mind is now recalling the wisdom of some of my earlier views.

I got involved in this mess . . . well even I am not sure how. But it is becoming more and more apparent to me - that the only true interest I have in all this is finding peace. My peace. I come from tainted stock - and I think even my peace, therefore, is tainted and doomed to be bloody. But that is my own thing - it need not concern you. What does concern you is this - I seek peace, and I am willing to fight and kill for it, but also to not fight for it. Regardless, I, though this is a new thing to me, find myself desiring to ensure that whatever fighting I do is for the right side.

Give me those scrolls, and let me go ask the prince which side that is. I offer little, and promise nothing. But . . . something in me I have never felt before compells me to act in this way. I do not know its nature exactly - but it feels right.

[no please keep rolling - just a joke.]

Remove ads