• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NC Game Day VII - April 23!

Henry

Autoexreginated
All of it sounds good to me so far. I'd recommend 1d6 for level, and using core PHB only for characters, and a default array (say 8, 10, 12, 14, 14, 16) to save people from point-buying or rolling. As for skills, just pick X + INT bonus in skills, and assume they're max'ed. That way, if you want to keep prep-time at gameday, it should be pretty easy for people to make their characters in 15 minutes or so.

Sneaky die_kludge, not posting the rules until after the game is full :D. Just kidding, actually, because it looks like a lot of fun. In fact, it sounds an awful lot like my Grimm games, from a DM perspective. I didn't get to run the earlier games through a playtest, so combat was basically just a story device, rather than a mechanical one. Basically, the bad guys died when it was climatic and hit just often enough to drain resources without clobbering everything in sight. Another thing that really comes in handy in these situations are the NPC tables in the DMG. If you really need statistics, they're all right there in front of you. Granted, they suck sometimes, but they're there.

As for character creation, I'm for doing it at game day. My tendency is to agonize over every detail of a character, but again, I see the characters in this being about telling a story, not whupping up in combat. I'm also with Henry: default array of points and maxed out skills in a few class (or cross-class, I suppose) skills. That should keep character creation to a minimum, especially if we have good character sheets (e.g. Mad Irishman) to highlight the spots that are missing attention (like hit points, which I always seem to forget). In fact, sticking to averages in most areas (like using average or high-average hit points) will keep the entire party balanced (if that matters) and make it really easy to generate characters.

Sounds like fun! Oh, and I just narrowly avoided having a wedding shower scheduled on Game Day. *whew* That was a close one. :uhoh:

NCSUCodeMonkey

Rel

Liquid Awesome
NCSUCodeMonkey said:
Sneaky die_kludge, not posting the rules until after the game is full :D.

He's clever like that. Almost as clever as a girl...

Oh, and I just narrowly avoided having a wedding shower scheduled on Game Day. *whew* That was a close one. :uhoh:

NCSUCodeMonkey

I can help you out on that issue. If it should come up again (and this goes for everybody attending Game Day) then simply go to the bride in question and, in a very reasonable tone, say, "I didn't want to be the one to have to tell you this but...I'm pretty sure he's cheating on you with someone younger and prettier than you."

Opens your social schedule right up!

Quasqueton

First Post
I can help you out on that issue. If it should come up again (and this goes for everybody attending Game Day) then simply go to the bride in question and, in a very reasonable tone, say, "I didn't want to be the one to have to tell you this but...I'm pretty sure he's cheating on you with someone younger and prettier than you."

Opens your social schedule right up!
I tried that once, but my fiance just said, "If you don't come to our shower, we won't be consumating our marriage in the first year."

I missed that game day.

Quasqueton

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Quasqueton said:
I tried that once, but my fiance just said, "If you don't come to our shower, we won't be consumating our marriage in the first year."

I missed that game day.

Quasqueton

Everybody gets one lifetime exemption when it's their own boo-tay on the line.

Let's just not make a habit of it, m'kay?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I enjoyed seeing everybody last night at dinner. We'll definately have to make this a regular occasion. The only thing I didn't like was that it was kinda loud in Chili's so I found myself straining a bit to hear the folks at the other end of the table (especially Vivian who was rather soft spoken). This may be a necessary evil though.

Tell you what: If it turns out that there's no way for me to swing doing the cookout on the eve of the next Game Day, I would be happy to offer and host a similar cookout as one of our DM Dinners. The food would be cheaper and the environment less noisy and more comfortable. Plus I'll throw in free coffee like the waitress did last night. ;)

Lola

First Post
Buh... just discovered this thread, and the timing of the next gameday could hardly be worse (well, except for the last one, where I couldn't even ask for the time off, much less get it).

I have several other things going on that same week that I'm asking time off for, and seriously doubt I'd get this one too. *cries* Maybe next time. Have fun, guys.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Lola said:
Buh... just discovered this thread, and the timing of the next gameday could hardly be worse (well, except for the last one, where I couldn't even ask for the time off, much less get it).

I have several other things going on that same week that I'm asking time off for, and seriously doubt I'd get this one too. *cries* Maybe next time. Have fun, guys.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could get in on one of our dinners. Sounds like they're going to happen on a fairly regular basis.

Remove ads