• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help killin a 18th level cleric or a 17th level monk.

Geist

First Post
OK heres the deal im in a competetion and im only level 6 teifling 5 theif, 1ranger. and i got about 30-50,000 Gold that i can get my hands on. (30,000 gold for sure)

however my opponent in the next match pending second round results will either be a level 17 monk or a level 18th cleric of the god of trickery.

If i can beat one of these guys it will totaly pay off. i can beat them by nocking them unconcious, killing them, or knocking them out of the ring for 10 rounds. or just incapacitating them until the end of the match which is 10 minutes.

Does anyne know of a almost fool proof way with this amount of cash that i could kill one of these guys or put them in a position that i could easily kill them myself?

Geist

First Post
yeah but if i fight these guys i doubt im gunna make it past the first or second round. so im trying to find a 1-2 turn answer to this problem

Attachments

• rise_of_the_dungeon_master.jpg
    rise_of_the_dungeon_master.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 3,863

graydoom

First Post
Sadly to say, there is no real way to beat a 17th or 18th level character with a 6th level character. Not gonna happen with that 50k gold limit. Sorry. Your best might be to get improved invisibility, blinking, and haste, and hope that the opponent is somehow foolish enough not to have brought a counter to those.

Celestial Weasel

First Post
If you have a decent Use Magic Device score, take a look at all the scrolls. They are super cheap for what you can get. It all depends on how much of a risk you are willing to take, too. You could always get a 9th level scroll and hope against hope that you can make it work right.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Perhaps a vorpal weapon and get lucky? I don't know how much a vorpal weapon would cost though, don't have the book on me.

Rav

James McMurray

First Post
For the cleric: Get a use activated item with silence on it so you can activate it as a free action. Then charge and try to grapple, after casting silence on yourself. While you've got them grappled, you can try to stab them with a short sword or dagger, doing sneak attack damage each time. Of course, they may very well break free, and if so, you're screwed.

You could always try a scroll of gate, but odds are that the other guy has a gate spell memorized too.

Does it have to be a one-on-one fight? You could try hiring enough people so they can't fit in the ring, then you'd win by default. :)

Basically, I can't think of any kind of "fool proof" way.

Geist

First Post
=(

hmm well i guess i better pray the monk beats the cleric then.

I think that gate spell idea would work on the monk.

hmm or instead of gating something in i could open a gate and nock him through it maybe? then close it?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Yeah, I would take the 50k and run :)

Activating any magic item using UMD is a standard action (p.75, Use Magic Device description). Scrolls won't be much help - you have to decipher scrolls before you can use them, which is at least a DC of 25. Since your max rank is 8, you'd need a 17-20 just to decipher a level 0 skill. I would NOT count on making that and then the check to use the scroll. And for the record, you have no chance of Deciphering a Gate scroll.

You're not going to be able to play keep-away with the monk. With all good saving throws, your options are limited. I would go with a pair of Chaotic weapons and hope for the best. You could get some arrows/bolts to shoot while the Monk closes, and get some sort of weapon with reach and the Chaotic enchantment. Chaotic weapons are +3 total, costing 18k a piece, roughly. And hope the Monk doesn't go for a Stunning Fist when he reaches you. 1d20 damage is painful.

The cleric you're even worse off against. At 18th level, it's more likely the Cleric will use Gate against you. Or Summon Monster IX, or Storm of Vengence. Or Time Stop, the ninth level domain spell for Trickery. Polymorph Any Object can get you from 70 feet away, keep you out of comission for 20 minutes at least, and with a +1 Will save, it's almost guaranteed to work.

You'd best hope the Monk wins, because the Cleric is definitely going to beat you. I'll repeat my suggestion before - if you can walk off with the 50k, do so. Because the odds are too stacked against you. There's nothing that will incapacitate either before they can take you out.

LightPhoenix

Arcanus

First Post
Okay not sure about your Feats and stuff because full knowledge of what you can do would help alot.

IF you HAVE the Feat that is called death blow or something, from the Sword & Fist you could do a Coup de Grace on your opponent as a standard action instead of a full round action.

Now follow with me here, you would then need a scroll, wand, or device that would cast this 2nd level ray spell from a Dragon magazine annual # 5 called STUN RAY. This spell shoots a Ray that will stun your opponent for 1d4 + so many rounds if they fail their saving throw, even if they make it they are stunned for a maximum of 1 round.

So even if they are stunned for 1 round you can do a Coup de Grace on them plus get to add in your sneak attack damage for them to make a save vs. Fortitude not to die instantly.

Remove ads