• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New core races or canon half races?

Would you rather see 4E add new core races or keep canon "half" races?

delericho

Legend
Aristotle said:
... or give us orcs in the core (not because of WoW, but rather because of the influences of Shadowrun, Eberron, and settings where orcs are more than just evil humanoids) and relegate the half-races to a side-bar rule or template.

The problem with that is that as soon as you do this you forever remove the option of using Orcs as a 'faceless Evil horde' race that PCs can kill with impunity, in exactly the same way that Klingons could never again be simply viewed as 'the enemy' as soon as the Next Generation had Worf.

Aristotle

First Post
There are so many other species that can be used for faceless evil, that I just don't see it as a loss. I tend to use goblinkind as my faceless evil. Anyway, my preference would be to keep orcs AND elves out of the core. Restore some mystery to the elves in the MM, and maybe even make them a little more powerful. I know that isn't going to happen outside of a homebrew campaign though. *shrug*

redkobold

Explorer
Drow and tieflings are basicly evil types and that does not seem to be keeping them out of the core.

Any of the races can be evil, in some it is just more common.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Wow. There's a whole lot of interspecies/hybrid HATERS in the D&D fan community ... IMHO.

I should remind myself that the poll is UNSCIENTIFIC.

Last edited:

Grimstaff

Explorer
I wouldn't mind half-elf and half-orc if they made a couple of changes.

1. Make half-elf the king of versatility like he used to be (hard to do with D&D's liberal multi0classing rules).

2. Make the half-orc the sneaky quiet killer he used to be before 3.0 made him into a dumb brute half-ogre clone.

Aldarc

Legend
Ranger REG said:
Wow. There's a whole lot of interspecies/hybrid HATERS in the D&D fan community ... IMHO.

I should remind myself that the poll is UNSCIENTIFIC.
Okay.

Anyway half-races are again not my cup of tea, but for those people who do like half-races, I would prefer to see them implemented better through racial heritage feats. That way they are still an option, but not as forced of an option as "core" races often present themselves as in the eyes of players.

Seeten

First Post
Lanefan said:
Keep half-elves and half-orcs (but please make them "part" rather than half, to allow for quarters and eighths, etc.) and instead drop tiefling.

All the other half-xxx races seem to me to be thinly-disguised ways for people to have more powerful characters, level adjustment notwithstanding. Sink 'em all.

Lanefan

Please do not do this. Do NOT touch my tieflings.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Aldarc said:
Okay.

Anyway half-races are again not my cup of tea, but for those people who do like half-races, I would prefer to see them implemented better through racial heritage feats. That way they are still an option, but not as forced of an option as "core" races often present themselves as in the eyes of players.
With all due respect, I DO NOT want to spend a feat in order to be a half-elf or any hybrid character. I'd rather WotC would codify a hybrid race creation rules and use said rules to tweak the half-elf and half-orc.

Remove ads