New D&D Survey: What Do you Want From Older Editions?

WotC has just posted this month's D&D feedback survey. This survey asks about content from older editions of D&D, including settings, classes and races. The results will help determine what appears in future Unearthed Arcana columns.

WotC has just posted this month's D&D feedback survey. This survey asks about content from older editions of D&D, including settings, classes and races. The results will help determine what appears in future Unearthed Arcana columns.

The new survey is here. The results for the last survey have not yet been compiled. However, WotC is reporting that the Waterborne Adventures article scored well, and that feedback on Dragon+ has been "quite positive".

"We also asked about the new options presented in the Waterborne Adventures installment of Unearthed Arcana. Overall, that material scored very well—on a par with material from the Player’s Handbook. Areas where players experienced trouble were confined to specific mechanics. The minotaur race’s horns created a bit of confusion, for example, and its ability score bonuses caused some unhappiness. On a positive note, people really liked the sample bonds and how they helped bring out the minotaur’s unique culture.

The mariner, the swashbuckler, and the storm sorcerer also scored very well. A few of the specific mechanics for those options needed some attention, but overall, players and DMs liked using them.

Finally, we asked a few questions about the Dragon+ app. We really appreciate the feedback as we tailor the app’s content and chart the course for future issues. The overall feedback has been quite positive, and we’re looking at making sure we continue to build on our initial success."

I wasn't sure whether to check the Seeker or not, so I didn't. There were a few semi-neat prestige classes for Paladins (Seeker of Truth), Wizards (Seeker of Lost Traditions), and Seeker of Dreams (D&D 3.5). They may be talking about the 4e Seeker, most likely I imagine, and I'm entirely ambivalent about that class.

CM

Adventurer
The fighter's one of the strongest classes in the game! Why on earth would anyone think it needs moar power?

I'm very happy the warlord is not coming to 5th ed. If you want a combination of fighting man with tactics and some healing, multiclass a valor bard with a battlemaster, and you're done.

I'd hazard a guess that the great majority of players interested in a warlord class specifically do not want a magic-using class. 5e has plenty of room for a "face" oriented warrior class that is moderately competent in hand-to-hand combat but excels at supporting his allies and the social pillar in general.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'd hazard a guess that the great majority of players interested in a warlord class specifically do not want a magic-using class. 5e has plenty of room for a "face" oriented warrior class that is moderately competent in hand-to-hand combat but excels at supporting his allies and the social pillar in general.
There's even more room that than. There are only 5 arguably-pure 'martial' sub-classes in 5e. All are focused on DPR as their main combat contribution. That leaves a healer or leader, a less-focused damage 'blaster' type, a battle-field-interdiction 'controller' type, an action-enabling Commander, even a more effective 'defender' build. There were six Warlord builds, plus the unofficial 'Lazy' build. There were 3.x fighter builds you couldn't do in 4e, and still can't in 5e. Really, martial design space is wide open. 5e has barely touched it.

The one example of that in the survey, BTW, is the Scout (I assume, along the lines of the 3.5 PHII scout). But, even if it sees the light of day, it'll probably be a high-DPR skirmisher.

Last edited by a moderator:

I ticked everything on the list except for a few very specific items. In fact after a bit of thought I realized all of the classes and almost all of the races were something I'd like updated, because honestly my players love trying out lots of different things, and have a lot of older edition characters they'd like to "officially" update.

Only settings I didn't check were Dragonlance, Birthright, Mystara and Kara-Tur because "reasons" and "personal preferences." Nothing wrong with them, just not setting I ever benefited much from (I like elements of Mystara though, just not the entire patchwork whole). And Kara-Tur is an example of a setting in need of a massive modern revision.

CrusaderX

First Post
I voted for Greyhawk and Mystara, and commented that I would love to see official 5e conversions of the classic AD&D 1st edition modules and D&D Basic/Expert modules.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

...makes me wonder what a spell-less bard a la the spell-less ranger would look like...

Remove ads

Remove ads