• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Feat: Secure Trip

Kodam

First Post
What do you guys think about this feat:

Secure Trip

If your trip attempt fails, your enemy can't react to trip you.

Prerequisites: Int 13+, Expertise, Improved Trip

Normal: see Trip in the PHB

any opinions on this one? Thanks in advance....

Kodam

First Post
too powerful?

I meant the feat to completely eliminate the chance of a returning trip not provide a bonus to the role. No more role would be needed. Would that be too powerful?

The Improved Disarm feat does exactly that (+negating the AoO) at the disarm maneuver.

Elvinis75

First Post
I wouldn't make Improved trip a Prerequisite to this feat. They both improved a characters trip skill but in different ways. Plus I really don't think that it has the power of a third tier feat.

It is a great feat that I suggested the need for this feat before.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Hmm... the only problem I can see is that someone with this feat and improved trip can make trip attempts all day and never face any consequences (other than the waste of an attack when a trip fails).

Kodam

First Post
counterattacks...

Now, if he fails (and that's the only point when this feat comes in) he'll get attacked by the enemy who in turn wasn't hurt at all.
And you should mind that tripping is most effective against humanoids. Very few monsters can be tripped with a reasonable chance of success.

Last edited:

Elvinis75

First Post
The draw back is that if fail the trip you also miss a chance to hit the opponent. Having run the numbers it is only a better attack method if you have the advantage in the trip contest. Against large creatures or those with 4 legs or both you are not usually gaining a big advantage. Even at a 70% success chance with the trips the gain is usually right around 10% more hits per round.

Remove ads