• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

What if the vampire planewalker Sorin Markov faces Strand von Zarovich?

If the crossover is canon. What about D&D worlds como "guest artist" in the coming Netflix series of M:tG? For example an episode in the second season where planewalkers visit Jakandor.

Wouldn't you like a CGI trailer with the Heroes of Dragonlance? What if a planewalker travels to the Krynn where Raistlin became a deity but destroyed all? Or the alternate timeline where the kingpriest become the supreme deity.

Will we see a Faerunian native with the spark becoming a planewalker? Maybe one of Drizzt's children

I wonder about a Kaladesh version of M.A.S.K and transformers vehicles. A Kaladesh-Eberron crossover? Both are magitek

The Inhumanoids could be "guest artists" in Innistrad setting.

And a new plane based in "Visionaries" franchise?

AliasBot

Explorer
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do Planewalker decks, actually, and did Commander pre-constructed decks instead, as that has been big recently. Probably less of a headache to come up with Legendary creatures out of FR and D&D lore. However, Vi feels too much like a Planewalker deck set-up...time will tell...
I wasn't thinking about planeswalkers in the context of intro decks, but just as...cards in the set. My thought process was just "this is replacing a core set, core sets normally include five 'walkers at mythic, by default I'm going to assume the same is true of this set."

There might not end up being a full cycle of five - the non-core set expansions usually have three, these days - but there hasn't been a standard-legal set without any planeswalker cards in it in 10 years, and I doubt the Forgotten Realms set will break that streak.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I think all planeswalkers are also now legendary . . . and eligible to be "commanders". I used one in a brawl deck (commander variant) on Magic Arena just this past Friday.

Ah, good to know! I've been out of the loop for awhile... and it never made sense to me that we couldn't use Planeswalkers as commanders instead of legends, anyway...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think all planeswalkers are also now legendary . . . and eligible to be "commanders". I used one in a brawl deck (commander variant) on Magic Arena just this past Friday.

Ah, good to know! I've been out of the loop for awhile... and it never made sense to me that we couldn't use Planeswalkers as commanders instead of legends, anyway...

They are legendary now, but as @ChaosOS notes, they aren't allowed to be Commanders in Commander/EDH, unless the card explicitly says so. (Brawl is a different thing). There are also legendary lands, artifacts, and enchantments that can't be commanders either.

The Commander/EDH rules committee doesn't seem inclined to change it. One of the problems is whether that cascades into banning a bunch of planeswalkers and/or cards like doubling season from the game I'd much rather leave as non-commander-eligible than worry about which ones need to be banned altogether and losing doubling season.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wasn't thinking about planeswalkers in the context of intro decks, but just as...cards in the set. My thought process was just "this is replacing a core set, core sets normally include five 'walkers at mythic, by default I'm going to assume the same is true of this set."

There might not end up being a full cycle of five - the non-core set expansions usually have three, these days - but there hasn't been a standard-legal set without any planeswalker cards in it in 10 years, and I doubt the Forgotten Realms set will break that streak.

Yeah, obviously we have no idea what they plan for this: Maro did say on Tumbler that Zendikar Rising and the Forgotten Realms Set will not play similarly, so Party is probably out as a mechanic.

glass

(he, him)
  • Blue: Eliminster, Mordenkein and Vi seem the most likely candidates, with the latter bring a really off kilter wildcard.
  • Black: an Epic Lich seems fitting: Ackerack, Vecna, Szazz Tam, or Larloch...?
  • White: a high Level Cleric, or Chosen?
  • Green: I want to say some Archdruid would be appropriate, but I'm not sure I can think of any off the top of my head...
  • Red: I feel that the way they are presenting Tasha in the marketing material for the next book feels very Red, in Magic Color wheel alignment terms
I would be surprised if Greyhawk characters like Tasha and Mordenkainen end up in something entitled "Adventures in Forgotten Realms". Not massively surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

For white, is Fzoul Chembryl still around? White != good!

That would make sense to me. They overlap almost one-to-one, and although they are technically very different in the cosmology (Innistrad is technically in the Material Plane, Ravenloft in the Shadowfel) you could easily retcon it so Innistrad is in the Shadowfel.
Ravenloft has moved before, it could move again.

Personally I do not think it is likely, but the main issue with IMNSHO Ravenloft is that it just felt too small to be a sustainable setting, so adding Innistrad to it would help from that point of view.

_
glass.

Remove ads