• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Okay, so "boxing" as an example does not apply to anything, since it is both real world and is literally short rests, and the boxer is just catching their breath so they can punch harder instead of needing to relearn how to box whether during the short rest or during an overnight recovery? It's just about making things line up with spells?

Again, nothing wrong with this, just trying to make sure on the status of the analogy going forward.

It's not even that far back and the analogy did not even go far. You are tilting at windmills by creating an entirely new analogy to attack...

The original exchange was this:
In "2" you made a bad real world comparison to a rest type that has no real world comparison outside of possibly video game checkpoints and cheat codes. Even then the fact that the gm analog(video game level designer) tends to be the one deciding where it is appropriate for a checkpoint rules out one. The other fits perfectly to a T because the player can usually use a cheat code as often as they want with the game doing nothing to prevent a player from reusing the cheat code every encounter/room. That quick ding ding breather in no way results in a round 12 boxer being the equal to their performance in round 1. We know that because fights eventually end and boxers can't go on forever.

Because I use my body for difficult work, including combat.

Exhaustion does not cut off specific discrete abilities. Exhaustion would be like "you can no longer do level 7-9 spells because they're too draining after spamming fireball that many times in a row" or something. If you wanted to simulate exhaustion you'd have an energy pool with thresholds.

You don't just lose the ability to do a right hook because you did it an hour ago.
You lose the ability to "do a right hook" as you did with all your everything in round one when you are now in round twelve throwing your umpteenth with sweat in your eyes an hour later. The chest code inspired design of short rests does not analogize well to real world activities because we aren't living in a d&d based reality or some cultivation genre work of fiction.

mamba

Legend
Exhaustion does not cut off specific discrete abilities. Exhaustion would be like "you can no longer do level 7-9 spells because they're too draining after spamming fireball that many times in a row" or something. If you wanted to simulate exhaustion you'd have an energy pool with thresholds.
I would not mind spell points, we will not get those as the default option however.

Exhaustion reduces your performance, you are no longer at the peak of your abilities, like only being able to cast two more 3rd level spells where before you had 4.
Just like would be the case with spellpoints.

Is it a perfect match to the real world when you can still cast your 5th level spell? No, but it certainly is a lot closer than you getting your spells recharged after each encounter…

rooneg

Adventurer
I think that's okay though?

Short or long rests shouldn't be guaranteed. In my experience, it's up to the players to make that opportunity. This is why characters take Rope Trick type spells, or work to fortify rooms. And sometimes it's okay for there to not be an opportunity, it creates tension and urgency.

However, if that's not your cup of tea, the DMG has alternate rules for heroic or grim campaigns.

I just don't get why so many folks cannot explain how they prefer D&D resting to work without being overly critical of other styles.
The thing about not having short rests be guaranteed is that it has a hugely different impact on different character classes. I’d be totally fine with short rests being a “maybe you get them maybe you don’t” sort of thing if every class cared about them the same amount. Then how much you care about getting that short rest is at least somewhat under the control of the player, if they carefully controlled their use of long rest limited resources they’re okay not getting that short rest, if they burned through them they’ll want it more, but every player will be able to make that decision at the table. That’s not how it actually works though, these days there are classes that are enormously dependent on getting the short rests and others who simply don’t care at all. In that world having a short rest be a “maybe you get it maybe you don’t” sort of thing is a real problem, where the fiction you’re trying to represent clashes with the mechanics of the game, and that’s a problem worth fixing in this revision to the rules.

Vaalingrade

Legend
In "2" you made a bad real world comparison to a rest type that has no real world comparison outside of possibly video game checkpoints and cheat codes. Even then the fact that the gm analog(video game level designer) tends to be the one deciding where it is appropriate for a checkpoint rules out one. The other fits perfectly to a T because the player can usually use a cheat code as often as they want with the game doing nothing to prevent a player from reusing the cheat code every encounter/room. That quick ding ding breather in no way results in a round 12 boxer being the equal to their performance in round 1. We know that because fights eventually end and boxers can't go on forever.
I'd go back and look at the history of boxing before asserting this.

Before it became a betting platform and spectacle for people who think they're too good for pro wrestling, some of those dudes went a long time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Because I use my body for difficult work, including combat.

You don't just lose the ability to do a right hook because you did it an hour ago.
No, and sometimes you fight harder and better in the second or third round than in the first. Not to mention how extreme some peoples second wind can be.

To be fair, in a 5e context you wouldn’t be forgetting how to right hook, you’d just be out of the energy needed to power you special right hook unique skill. At no point is the knowledge of how to do the thing.

I would not mind spell points, we will not get those as the default option however.

Exhaustion reduces your performance, you are no longer at the peak of your abilities, like only being able to cast two more 3rd level spells where before you had 4.
Just like would be the case with spellpoints.

Is it a perfect match to the real world when you can still cast your 5th level spell? No, but it certainly is a lot closer than you getting your spells recharged after each encounter…
It is further from reality than the current model, where you get some, but not all, of your “juice” back. If all spellcasters on a long rest recharge had something like Arcane Recovery, we’d really be cookin.

Once we look past spells, specifically, we get into things like ki, Battlemaster dice, action surge, etc.

All of those things would be absolute nonsense on a daily recharge, but make sense on a short rest recharge.

mamba

Legend
I'd go back and look at the history of boxing before asserting this.

Before it became a betting platform and spectacle for people who think they're too good for pro wrestling, some of those dudes went a long time.
yes, but the point that they got ever more exhausted remains, whether the fight ends after 12 rounds no matter what, or whenever one of the two is no longer able or willing to continue (which in rare cases took over 50 rounds)

In fact by then they were nowhere near in fighting form, they just were able to still stand

Incenjucar

Legend
It's not even that far back and the analogy did not even go far. You are tilting at windmills by creating an entirely new analogy to attack...

The original exchange was this:

You lose the ability to "do a right hook" as you did with all your everything in round one when you are now in round twelve throwing your umpteenth with sweat in your eyes an hour later. The chest code inspired design of short rests does not analogize well to real world activities because we aren't living in a d&d based reality or some cultivation genre work of fiction.
I did not come up with the analogy, I was pointing out how it undermines the idea that dailies are more realistic.

Bringing video games into this is not helpful. I realize most people have only thrown a punch in Street Fighter, but I assure you taking a moment to sit down to drink water, get toweled off, and have someone patch your wounds so you don't bleed everywhere is not a "cheat code". There are certainly different rest lengths in sports that might be more directly comparable to D&D.

You don't lose discrete abilities in real life unless you absolutely tear something, which would seriously impede everything else you do. Your right hook becomes weaker, but you can still throw it. You might get disadvantage or reduced damage dice.

mamba

Legend
All of those things would be absolute nonsense on a daily recharge, but make sense on a short rest recharge.
because they are designed for a SR recharge, on LR they would be different.

Take the Warlock for example, two spells per SR with an expectation of 2 SR per day.
Give it 6 spells and get rid of the SR recharge and all you did is gain flexibility and remove the power dependency on when and how often you get SRs. To me that is nothing but benefits.

Recharge per SR should die

Remove ads

Remove ads