• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Incenjucar

Legend
maybe, but I don't see how something refreshing after an encounter can be any less counter to it

Resting and refreshing for a night at least is something that happens in real life. Being refreshed after a boxing fight simply because it is over does not.
A boxing match is filled with short rests, as are a lot of other sporting events. Like they literally sit down and get patched up.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, okay, if you're going to say things which are obviously false on a very basic level, then I think we can dismiss your claims entirely.

Obviously 1D&D's changes are hugely larger than those 3.5E made. It's not possible to argue otherwise. There are more changes to classes, more changes to races, more changes to spells, more changes to basic rules, more changes to Feats, everything.

So when you claim "It doesn't rise to 3.5E", you're just saying something isn't true, isn't credible, isn't worthy of any respect as an opinion, and is obviously early-stage edition-warring.
Mod Note:

Folks, you can disagree with someone without being disagreeable. This post fails at that, in multiple ways. It is dismissive, personal, and asserts opinion as objective fact.

@Ruin Explorer , do better going forward, please.

mamba

Legend
A boxing match is filled with short rests, as are a lot of other sporting events.
yeah, that is why in round 12 boxers are as fresh as in round 1… sure, they can catch a breath, but the recharge is very limited

I would be more interested in what your fiction is in which a quick rest makes sense, but a long rest does not

Vaalingrade

Legend
If in your logic a 1h rest makes sense, I don't see how a 8h rest makes less sense either.
That's the best part, it doesn't!

The heroes having to stop and have nap time in order to not be boring for the rest of the adventure makes zero sense in anything where encounters take place any more frequently than over the course of weeks -- which was the status quo of all the Verne and Tolkien theft the game was originally built on, but doesn't grok with modern storytelling where things happen often and having the heroes wear down to boring nubs isn't going to cut it.

Even stories where the hero is worn down don't work like D&D. John Mclean takes like ten minutes to bandage his destroyed feet and then swings through a window and strangles a man with a chain.

Doling out fun with a nap requirement is frustrating.

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
yeah, that is why in round 12 boxers are as fresh as in round 1… sure, they can catch a breath, but the recharge is very limited

I would be more interested in what your fiction is in which a quick rest makes sense, but a long rest does not
Between rounds they burn through their HD to catch their breath/restore HP. They don't forget how to fight. A boxing match is a series of encounters, not a single exchange. Boxers are not exchanging ten punches and then calling it a day. A normal fist fight doesn't have water and bandage breaks.

Now, in real life, fatigue is a thing, and injuries take longer to heal. We have variant rules for that, but people tend to dislike the fatigue death spiral, so those rules are not popular.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
That's the best part, it doesn't!

The heroes having to spot and have nap time in order to not be boring for the rest of the adventure makes zero sense in anything where encounters take place any more frequently than over the course of weeks -- which was the status quo of all the Verne and Tolkien theft the game was originally built on, but doesn't grok with modern storytelling where things happen often and having the heroes wear down to boring nubs isn't going to cut it.

Even stories where the hero is worn down don't work like D&D. John Mclean takes like ten minutes to bandage his destroyed feet and then swings through a window and strangles a man with a chain.

Doling out fun with a nap requirement is frustrating.
I feel like resting preferences are drastically different based on how folks imagine their D&D.

If your D&D is based on dungeon exploration in which characters balance pushing ahead or recharging resources, resting for an hour or longer makes sense. It fits a more grounded, survival-based story.

If your D&D is based on the characters being powerful heroes fighting against great forces, then brief (or no) rests makes sense. It fits the characters in heroic fiction.

But based on this thread, I don't think any of us can speak on what the majority game style is, since everyone has different preferences. I guess that's why the DMG has options for different play styles!

mamba

Legend
Between rounds they burn through their HD to catch their breath/restore HP.
fine by me, I want SR for healing only, not skill recharge anyway

They don't forget how to fight.
Neither does your Fighter, your Wizard however can run out of spells, akin to a soldier running out of ammo

A boxing match is a series of encounters, not a single exchange.
ok, and as you just said the only thing the SRs in between the encounters restore are HP…

Now, in real life, fatigue is a thing, and injuries take longer to heal. We have variant rules for that, but people tend to dislike the fatigue death spiral, so those rules are not popular.
yep, which is why everything gets healed over night

Incenjucar

Legend
fine by me, I want SR for healing only, not skill recharge anyway

Neither does your Fighter, your Wizard however can run out of spells, akin to a soldier running out of ammo

ok, and as you just said the only thing the SRs in between the encounters restore are HP…

yep, which is why everything gets healed over night
So is this about spells only...? You brought up boxing, so I'm confused.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads