• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Post-Apoc Game

Shayuri

First Post
D20 Modern and Future are both on an SRD.

Apocalypse, from what I can tell, doesn't really have much in the way of unique rules, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The main item of interest would be the Advanced Classes in it, and even then there's really only two that are new.

So no worries. :)

Insight

Adventurer
Jemal said:
So, what system is this using then? I find it very interesting, but don't have d20 future/apoc, only modern.. Your use of the term "progress level" confuses me, as I've never encountered it before. I presume it refers to technology?

Is it possible to play with the modern rules if you're using future/apoc?

Yes, you could play in this game with only D20 Modern if you wish. Your character would likely be living in the Wasteland, probably born there, with little knowledge of modern advances.

That said, I believe at least some of the D20 Future material is available thru the SRD.

Insight

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
Beautiful! Thank you!

As usual, when presented with hugely cool game concepts, my brain spits up not one character, but a litter. I'll narrow 'em down, but if any of them strike you (or anyone else) as being particularly fun-sounding or inappropriate to the game let me know and I'll factor that into which one I wind up developing as a full PC.

...I'm overfond of numbered lists.

1) Mutant savage from the wasteland! A member of a low-tech tribe of mutants who's fellows were abducted by a mad AI for reasons unknown (perhaps for labor outside of arcology or in areas where robots can't function, or perhaps they have genetic traits of interest to the Machine...etc). This character would have plenty of wilderness skills and would probably be a sneaky and/or melee smashy combatant.

This sounds like a good concept. I don't foresee any problems there.

2) Scavenger with a secret! A self-sufficient wasteland wanderer who makes a living trawling what ruins are (reasonably) safe to enter and retrieving artifacts and supplies to sell to merchant centers. No visible mutations, but conceals some abilities in the interests of not running afoul of the Purity as well as maintaining a professional edge. Both envies and pities the denizens of the Arcology, who have so many amenities, yet so little freedoms. Fears that one day the Machine will overrun everything... Most likely this would be a stealthy shooter type in terms of combat role...a lot also depends on what sort of filthy parahuman ability is taken.

Again, this looks fine and would fit in with the setting. Your character could make a fair amount of money / trade for a plethora of valuable goods and services if he were a reliable transporter.

3) Refugee! A 'accidental' mutant human from the Arcology who is forced to flee! After living on the ragged edge in the gutters of the Arcology, this character has been part of the underclass, living like rats under the streets and in abandoned buildings and unobserved corners. Always dodging detection due to genetic impurities, the character is finally forced to flee to the nigh-mythical outside...a land that seems like paradise in comparison. At first.

A character who's been on the 'inside' would likely be very valuable to the group as a whole, if the idea I have for the game sticks.

4) Renegade! An agent of the AI's who somehow manages to transcend the obedience engrams and become a free-willed being. Could be a cybered up gene-mod or an actual humanoid robot with true AI. While grappling with existential questions, this character joins the fight against the Machine...either to bring freedom to the others under its rule...or because even AI's are oppressed, individually, by being slaved to the dictates of the massive central processors!

I like the idea of a robot who turns against The Machine. I don't want more than one of these, but on the whole, it sounds like an interesting RP opportunity. Your character would be a pariah, distrusted everywhere you go, trying desperately to understand humans and the society that exists beyond the arcology walls.

So many ideas...are there documents for d20 Apocalypse online? An SRD?

I don't think so. D20 Apocalypse is closed content. :\

I'm not planning to include a ton of game mechanics from the closed content books, and when I have to, I'll post the relevant info so that those of you without the books don't suffer.

Kaodi

Hero
I was thinking of a almost normal looking mutant who is skilled in building, repairing, salvaging and using all sorts of vehicles. Perhaps a bit of a nomad, he is working on vehicles and mecha designed to be able to traverse the most hazardous areas of the Wastelands.

Insight

Adventurer
Kaodi said:
I was thinking of a almost normal looking mutant who is skilled in building, repairing, salvaging and using all sorts of vehicles. Perhaps a bit of a nomad, he is working on vehicles and mecha designed to be able to traverse the most hazardous areas of the Wastelands.

No mecha, but the other stuff, yes. Sounds like a useful character. Mecha are well beyond the PL for this game.

Shayuri

First Post
Kaodi said:

Hmm! It might be cool if some of the PC's knew each other before game start. I could see this idea and my wasteland scavenger concept working well together.

Insight

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
Hmm! It might be cool if some of the PC's knew each other before game start. I could see this idea and my wasteland scavenger concept working well together.

I would prefer that the characters knew each other (or knew of each other) prior to start, or at the very least, lived in/operated in the same general area.

Drerek

First Post
I'd probably go with a guy who is the weapons expert:
Chain gun: check
RPG: check
Mini-nuke: ...... now where did I put that thing?

I don't plan on him being stupid, but merely of the belief that force is the primary method of accomplishing goals. There is no compromise and no quarter, although surprise and stealth tactics as a means to the end of blowing the bad guys to kingdom come is perfectly acceptable.

I have to look up the d20 future SRD now. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Dude. Chainsaw for an arm. Shotgun. You know you want to. :)

Hmm! I guess d20 Modern doesn't let you take PrC's from non d20 Modern...I'd love to play a pyrokineticist in this setting, but that's a D&D class.

Maybe a battlemind...hurm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads