• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Server Drive - donation and prize thread (Final total: $13,310!)

Jupp

Explorer
Psionicist said:
Load balancing perhaps? Two servers serving half the requests each. Practically 100% faster than one server! :) This probably demands one additional computer/router to route the requests though. Probably overkill at the moment.

Edit: Rodrigo Istalindir: Whoops, sorry. :D

We stopped using multiple servers for load balancing. The setup is quite complex and the whole thing is prone to failures if it is not set up properly by someone who really does know what he is doing. Also it's more complicated to maintain the system because you need dedicated people (aka tech wizzies) for it. They are the only ones that can touch this setup without breaking it. A pure Dual CPU solution with multiple load-balanced network cards (if that is really needed) and some fast double-mirrored RAID-1 (much faster for Databases than RAID-5 or so) disk arrays sounds more like an affordable, yet reliable, solution to me. Add some good amount of Ram and enjoy the speed.
If you choose Xeon or Opteron is up to your pleasure, especially if its a built-to-order system instead of a brand item.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Steverooo said:
Can Supporter Memberships be sent there, too? (I always wanted to be one, but don't use PayPal)

Sure. Do so, and I'll take care of the details. Just make sure you label it properly and include your user name!

I think a second thread for the technical discussion would be a great idea; good thinking, Rodrigo. I'll start one in a few minutes. It's located here.

We're doing amazingly well. We're at $2000 just including Paypal donations. I'll post prize updates within the hour, and list all the people whose donation is in as soon as I can. :D

I want to reiterate what Eric said up thread. NEVER feel bad if cash is tight and you can't give as much as you'd like; small donations add up quickly, you you folk are incredibly kind to be supporting the site like this. That goes for the amazing publishers as well.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
A couple of quick notes:

Every bit counts. May the deity, force, or philosophy of your choice bless you greatly for anything we can do.

On the technical side, the offers are certainly appreciated, but just to give everyone some background, we've been discussing the server needs for about a week and a half prior to the announcement, with 4 coding professionals and 2 hardware professionals, who work in their respective fields as a living. For the funding, it's the best combination of power and economy available.

Now, if we bust even platinum goals, then Morrus way want to talk about opterons with 4GB RAM and Multi-hundred Gig fibre-channel SCSI drives with 128MB cache adapters... *drool*

(Sorry, I was daydreaming a second there... carry on!)

Asmo

First Post
I would love to donate, but I simply refuse to use Paypal.
Rpgnow.com don´t accept my Visa card ,because I´m in Europe.
Is there any other way to donate, using my Visa-card?
During the Last Drive I donated via http://www.exp.citymax.com and it worked like a charm, is that an option?

Asmo

Wystan

Explorer
I just sent $20

This is as I love the servers but cannot afford a community supporter, so I will support the servers and keep the free use.... :)

May the Site and servers keep going for as long as possible.

I love you guys....

:)

When do we see this drive as closing?
I think there should be a continous link on the front page for donations... :)

Last edited:

$25 will be on it's way via check later today. Sorry I can't do more right now. But I did renew my community supporter account the other day!

I'm also going to be kicking in a few books for the prizes from my ENnies stash. I'll be sending alsih2o the list of my donations this afternoon.

Rich

Remove ads