newbies guide for Fallout 4

Due to the show, people have started to play fallout 4 either again or for the first time. I've played it for countless hours, have a number of videos dedicated to it. Since it was felt that a new thread would be better than taking over the tv show, it was felt that those of us who have played it before could give some advice/tips/tricks answer questions etc that new players or even returning players may have.

Feel free to ask/post etc.

I'll start by saying this: When you leave the vault and go down to Sanctuary hills, there's a basement entrance behind one of the houses that has some loot for you to take. You can also level yourself up at least three or more levels just by building stuff there in Sanctuary hills. If you're unable to pick a lock on any of the safes you find you can just scarp them and the loot is automatically placed in the workbench.

MarkB

Legend
I'll start by saying this: When you leave the vault and go down to Sanctuary hills, there's a basement entrance behind one of the houses that has some loot for you to take. You can also level yourself up at least three or more levels just by building stuff there in Sanctuary hills. If you're unable to pick a lock on any of the safes you find you can just scarp them and the loot is automatically placed in the workbench.
Just to add to that: The most valuable items you'll find down there (you'll know them when you see them) are categorised as junk, and will be used as crafting materials if you're not careful. Store them in a separate container, so you can use them as trade goods down the line.

Talking of trade, the first time you meet Trashcan Carla the wandering trader, be sarcastic to her. She likes it.

There are many possible character builds, and plenty are viable, but it's useful to review all of the SPECIAL videos that can play when you load up the game, so you'll have an idea of what each attribute can unlock.

My reaction after watching the show was let me redownload it and start it again but then

-Preston
-graphically it’s better than fallout 3 and you can do more but it’s a boring wasteland and the story isn’t that great compared to fallout 3 which isn’t as good as new Vegas. My best f4 memories pale to the super duper mart in f3
-the ending or what is the story ending is one of my least favorite in video games
-dlc is good but unlike Skyrim it’s not incorporated into the world (the robot stuff is)
-house building starts off good but if you talk to Preston it’s awful

Reynard

Legend
For returning PC players I highly suggest going to wabbajack and choosing a curated mod list. There are a few different flavors, from major graphics overhauls to brutal survival Sims. FO4 is better with the community.

For returning PC players I highly suggest going to wabbajack and choosing a curated mod list. There are a few different flavors, from major graphics overhauls to brutal survival Sims. FO4 is better with the community.
I'm advising folks to wait till after the nextgen update before getting mods

One way to quickly level up is putting your starting luck at 5 and leaving intelligence at 1, the first perk you'll take once you're able to do so will be idiot savant which "taking ranks of this perk grants a random chance to receive a 3x multiplier to XP, the frequency of which is determined by how low Intelligence" however with that said with only one level in this perk, more overall experience is gained by having a higher Intelligence score.

Reynard

Legend
One way to quickly level up is putting your starting luck at 5 and leaving intelligence at 1, the first perk you'll take once you're able to do so will be idiot savant which "taking ranks of this perk grants a random chance to receive a 3x multiplier to XP, the frequency of which is determined by how low Intelligence" however with that said with only one level in this perk, more overall experience is gained by having a higher Intelligence score.
Does FO4 offer fun dialogue options for Int 1 like earlier versions of the game? Because if so, it is a double benefit!

Remove ads