• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NHL Strike

devilbat

First Post
For the record, I think players holding out is crappy policy as well. Are you saying that they should both have the ability to ignore contracts?

I'm saying neither should.

No, I think contracts should be honored. I use and honor them every day in my business. But in this case, both sides are guilty of the same thing.

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression from Teflon Billy's posts. it seems to me your villafying the owners for actions that the players have been using as status quo.

Once either side breaks the boundries of the contract, it's open game. Both sides have proven the "a contract is made to be broken" adage. Quite frankly, by siding with the owners, I feel that I'm choosing the lesser of two evils.

Album Cover X

First Post
drothgery said:
and my Indians being the best offensive team in baseball from 1995-2001 for attendence levels to reach pre-strike levels.

[slighty off topic] and how many world series banners did they win??? :p

Before you ignite that flamethrower, I've lived outside Cleveland most of my life and earn the right to say such mean, horrible, true things... I attended games back in the old municipal stadium when nearly every night was Have-Your-Own-Beer-Vendor night... [/slighty off topic]

But drothgery does speak the truth... it took baseball years and few timely events to begin to undo the damage cause by the 94-95 strike. And baseball has such a deep history.

I'm a causal hockey fan at best... But I don't think they get it... Hockey's problems to me extend much further than a salary cap issue... Hopefully a solution is reach and some games can be played. No matter the sport its ALWAYS better and more enjoyable to speak of on-field/ice events than those of the off-field variety.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Iuz said:
While I will admit err on this point, I don't think it is as big a deal as you make it, and you certainly could have been more polite.

That's true, and I apologize to you Iuz. Temporary insanity as the lockout was announced.

I still think it's a big deal, though, especially with the anti-player sentiments running rampant...well...just about everywhere. There's no reason for erroneous thread titles that contribute to them.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
I just love the lockout situation with the NHL.

Love it.

I'm hoping for a complete league shutdown for a season or more, and hopefully the death of a few teams (notably those in the so-called "Sun Belt"). Then, if I'm lucky, a complete destruction of the current NHL as we know it.

Hopefully, that provides an opportunity for the league to return to cities that deserve NHL teams (eg. Winnipeg and Quebec City, among others).

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
arnwyn said:

Love it.

I'm hoping for a complete league shutdown for a season or more, and hopefully the death of a few teams (notably those in the so-called "Sun Belt"). Then, if I'm lucky, a complete destruction of the current NHL as we know it.

Hopefully, that provides an opportunity for the league to return to cities that deserve NHL teams (eg. Winnipeg and Quebec City, among others).

Well, I think some good can come of this, but I would not go so far as to say I love it. As for returning teams to Canadian cities, of course I think teams belong there, but somehow you also need to put people's butts into the seats. I seem to recall some pretty poor attendance at Nordiques games prior to their defection to Colorado. Among my many relatives from Quebec(mostly Sherbrooke and Quebec City) I know few who were Nordiques fans (I can think of one uncle and a couple of great uncles)- most were Montreal fans.

And is it bad that I could not recall the Winnipeg team name until I Googled it?

Arnwyn

First Post
Yes, it is bad. Very bad.

*shrug* You have to put butts in the seats everywhere. It's not happening in much of the U.S. right now.

devilbat

First Post

Love it.

I agree with everything you said whole-heartedly, but don't forget Hartford. I want to see the return of the Whale.

The sad thing is the NHL will NEVER return to Winnipeg. The city couldn't afford the NHL or it's ticket prices ten years ago, and they certainly won't be able to afford it in the future. This lock out may save the Flames, Oilers and Senators, but it won't bring bacck the Jets or Nordique.

And is it bad that I could not recall the Winnipeg team name until I Googled it?

Shame on you Thornir. "Only some henglish pig would do dat". :)

Relax folks, it's a Slapshot quote! ;)

"I feel shame"

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Dang, even I, a non-NHL fan, remembered it was the Winnipeg Jets. And the Hartford Whalers. And the Quebec Nordiques.

Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that. :/

--The Sigil

Remove ads