No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

Quantarum

First Post
Not like it's dead, old RPGs don't really die until people stop playing them. As for myself I really don't care if anyone else ever gets the license, SWSE will always be the Star Wars rpg to me. -Q.

Obryn

Hero
You should definitely check out the fan-made resources if you are going to continue with SWSE at all. Both the excel-based character sheets and the indices come as close to DDI support for Saga as you're going to get.
In Ye Olde Days, I used Kenad Broki's excel sheet, and it worked pretty well. I have no doubt I'd hunt down the next big thing if I run it in the future!

Also, out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Force rules? I think it's a fantastic sub-system that would work well for a low-magic fantasy setting as well. And one way to solve low-level abuse is to restrict Skill Focus (I like simply making it a character-level feat only rather than a class bonus feat - but I've seen other people suggest restricting it to 7th level or giving it a scaling bonus).
Skill Focus is a part of it, but it's overall problematic because the skill system - Focused or not - starts out way more badass than the attack system. So, low-level Jedi are far better off using Force powers offensively than they are using Lightsabers. This is, more or less, exactly the opposite of how I want it. (Skill Focus just exacerbates something that's already a problem.) Ideally, both should be viable through all levels. I'd like to see Force Powers follow a more uniform attack-bonus-style system.

The crippled nature of melee combat makes lightsabers an even worse choice. I'd need to fix that, too - probably by using the 4e action system.

Otherwise, I dig the mechanics. It's my favorite iteration of the d20 system.

No, SWSE isn't perfect ... but what game is? Every RPG needs a little tweaking - if not to make it more usable then just to make it better fit an individual group's playing style.
Um.... who are you talking to? I don't expect any game to be perfect. I'll be playing SWSE again - like I said, I already have a campaign idea, and I think it'd be a blast. I'm just pointing out the ways in which it is, IMO, imperfect and which I would need to tweak.

I play lots of different games. None of them are perfect. This is okay! SWSE is my favorite iteration of the d20 system, and a great example of how it could be tweaked for a cinematic genre.

-O

Last edited:

Sad to see it go, it was a great system and one I have used for a few different sci-fi games not just starwars. I still wish it was OGL as it is just a wonderful system I thought.

ssampier

First Post
<Wizards>
You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strengths of Stars Wars and d20 we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

</Wizards>

<LucasFilms>

Alright already, sheeze dad.

</LucasFilms>

Much later

<LucasFilms>
This sucks. Managing a huge, evil galactic empire is so much work!
</Lucasfilms>

<wizards>
Well... You see... We were more into the whole Magic the gathering CCG dark side thing more than managing an empire thing. We mostly said those things for dramatic effect.

We assumed you'd rebel against me--like most teenagers. But I assumed you'd succeed at it and have 3 entertaining stories to tell. In the end, I would be redeemed. Thanks for ruining that dream, son.

</wizards>

Last edited:

Skill Focus is a part of it, but it's overall problematic because the skill system - Focused or not - starts out way more badass than the attack system. So, low-level Jedi are far better off using Force powers offensively than they are using Lightsabers. This is, more or less, exactly the opposite of how I want it. (Skill Focus just exacerbates something that's already a problem.) Ideally, both should be viable through all levels. I'd like to see Force Powers follow a more uniform attack-bonus-style system.

I was once told by a powerful force user that Skill Focus should have some sort of level requirement. 9th level seemed right for a +5 bonus.

drothgery

First Post
The one RPG where I have just about every supplement goes out of print...

Still, I can't believe how many people argued with me when I said on WotC's boards that it would be extremely likely that there'd be another edition of the Star Wars RPG by 2012.

Stormonu

Legend
The loss of new miniatures, however, is a bummer. I am now going to have to buy up what's out there at a faster rate than I imagined was required.

I wouldn't hurry. Those minis will be around for years. The only ones to really worry about would be the rares - they'll spike a bit before settling on price.

Personally, I feel I've gotten all I need out of the Saga line to keep me busy for years to come. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a revitalization of the d6 line, which is still my favorite.

Remove ads