No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

pukunui

Legend
Pay attention to Gamma World. If that does well, there will be more non-traditional genre adaptations to D&D4e. Once demand reaches a critical mass, there will be a new license for doing the same for Star Wars that's been done for Gamma World. Savvy treatment of the matter, as I see it, by WOTC's leadership.
A 4e version of Star Wars? Blech. No thanks.

RodneyThompson

First Post
Poor Rodney.

Oh, don't worry about me. I'm here and I'm fine. I'm sad to see things end, of course, but we had a good run.

Thanks for all the kind words about Saga Edition. As the lead designer and developer of every single Saga Edition book (except the core book, as I was but a mere freelancer when we designed that one), there's a lot of my love of Star Wars in the game. I think being pretty much the one, go-to guy for the product line has taught me a lot, not only about game design but also about managing a whole line of products. By the time Unknown Regions comes out, I will have brought 13 books, 1 GM screen, and a 10-part online adventure path all the way from concept to print, with my hands on the project literally every step of the way. It's been a fantastic learning experience.

And, it has paid off. In December of 2008 I was officially made a developer on D&D, both (I think) as a reward for the good work I'd been doing, and so that, in case the license did end (which we now see it will), I'd still have a place in R&D. While I've continued to shepherd the Star Wars line, I've also been a developer on some great books (including lead developer of the Eberron Campaign Guide, Martial Power 2, Monster Manual 3, and both Dark Sun books) and, as some of you might have noticed, I'm one of the designers of three of the books on the upcoming Essentials line.

So, if you've liked the work I've done on Saga Edition, I hope you'll take a look at my D&D stuff too. I think a lot of the lessons I learned on Saga Edition will carry over to my D&D work.

So, anyways, thanks again to everyone that had kind words to say. I know Saga Edition has its rough edges, but what system doesn't? We've put out some great books, and I think the last book (Unknown Regions) is going to knock peoples' socks off.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I'm one of the designers of three of the books on the upcoming Essentials line.

So, if you've liked the work I've done on Saga Edition, I hope you'll take a look at my D&D stuff too. I think a lot of the lessons I learned on Saga Edition will carry over to my D&D work.

I've been a loyal follower of SWSE since the first listing showed up on Amazon (I broke the news on RPG.net), and I wanted to thank you for a great run. If the line had ended any earlier, I probably would have been a bit more annoyed, but almost all the bases are covered now.
Now, on the D&D front, think you could convince them to borrow the expanded Skill Challenge rules from Galaxy of Intrigue for the Rules Compendium? :) And how would a game based around the Essentials products differ from one building off the 'regular' core?

So, anyways, thanks again to everyone that had kind words to say. I know Saga Edition has its rough edges, but what system doesn't? We've put out some great books, and I think the last book (Unknown Regions) is going to knock peoples' socks off.

Looking forward to it, and there's something apropos about ending the line with the book about heading out into the unknown . . .

pukunui

Legend
I know Saga Edition has its rough edges, but what system doesn't?
My sentiments exactly.

I think the last book (Unknown Regions) is going to knock peoples' socks off.
I can't wait! Galaxy of Intrigue was great. If The Unknown Regions is even better, then Saga will definitely be going out with a bang!

Can you at least tell us if we'll get some official errata for both GoI and UR before you hang up that hat all together?

Looking forward to it, and there's something apropos about ending the line with the book about heading out into the unknown . . .
Definitely. Although it would've been nice to have a NJO Era book to "fill in the gaps" as it were, The Unknown Regions is definitely a fitting closer for the product line.

Last edited:

The Hound

Explorer
So if I want to run a Star Wars game, what choices are there? Who else besides WOTC got a license and published something over the past three decades?.

Caerin

First Post
I am sad to see Saga go- it's currently my favorite system, and my group just started a SWSE game after 4E burnout. ^^; I really do like the mechanics, and the Skill Challenge chapter in the latest book (Galaxy of Intrigue) was excellent. Well, hopefully we'll see the campaign through! Thanks for the good times.

Remove ads