• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

EternalSword

First Post
"Call me Cassandra. I'm Thyrin's assistant and messanger. Keldar, I know who everyone is from Rilithorne's sending, so stop clowning around. As for your concern, Rapture, no one is currently in danger. Thyrin is holed up in the saferoom off of the lab. The fire would have to get through the containment field and through the steel walls for him to be at risk. As for the elementals, there are 6 more that are here semi-permenantly and will slowly regenerate in certain areas in the tower. The other problem is the automatic summoning device on the first floor. It summons a new elemental every twenty minutes, but that unsummons the previous elemental. Currently, the elemental is completely out of control and attacking anything alive it sees. There are also two more powerful fire elementals that have taken up positions at both exits to the saferoom. That should be all, unless more systems are out of control than we think."

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ahem," says Keldar, perhaps used to having women tell him to stop clowning, if never one so strange. "I find myself wondering why Thyrin, a mage of no small power, needs us to rescue him from his own tower."

EternalSword

First Post
"The problem is that both doors into the saferoom are unsafe to use. One leads into the lab, and opening it would disrupt the field keeping the fire under control. Also, both exits are barred by rogue elementals, smarter than normal and wielding swords alongside thier flaming fists, that would most likely slay him before he could destroy them by spell. Experimenting with summoning is risky. When your safeguards fail during the summonings, it can go south in a hurry. We have a master control for the defenses in the saferoom, but the one thing those inept burglars did skillfully disabled the controls."

Trouvere

Explorer
"That's a lot for Galwynn to take in," says Keldar. "How many elementals at any one time? How is it that you are able to move about freely? You are - forgive me for being impertinent - not exactly flesh and blood as we are. Do the elementals perceive you as something akin to them? Can you relay messages to Thyrin at the moment?"

EternalSword

First Post
"The summoning device can only produce one elemental at a time, but the other six could be anywhere in the bottom 3 floors. The 5th floor is the lab and upper half of the saferoom, and the only elemental there is the fire elemental soldier I mentioned. The permanent residents cannot pass through a ward between the third and fourth floor, but the other fire elemental soldier is at the fourth floor exit of the saferoom. "

"The elementald in the tower can tell I am another elemental, but they can also tell that I am from the Plane of Lightning, which lies metaphysicly between Air and Positive Energy. These are earth and fire elementals and like most of their kind, they hate air elementals, and that extends to beings of Lightning like myself."

"The native earth elementals can flow through the brick portions of the walls, so my flying skills are relativly useless inside, while the fire elementals would restart the fires in rage if I went back in. They cannot pass through the steel portions though. I cannot return the way I came, since I was called by the wardstone, which cannot do that again. Normally, the wardstone would use the tower's energy to do that, but the confinment field and summons are using too much power. Fortunantly, while the wardstone is inserted, the elementals cannot flow through door or the foundation, like the ones you just dispatched."

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar winces. "Is someone writing all this down?" He frowns. "So, no water elementals, then? Typical. I can speak their language." He ponders further. "So, have we trapped you here now by using the wardstone? Um... what would happen if I prodded you with a finger?"

Solange

First Post
"My companions and I have had a long journy m'lady, and some of us would like to rest. It sounds like if we were to do so, no one would be in any more danger than they are now. Is that so?" Rapture asks.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Of course, Rapture," says Keldar. "What could be the danger in a night under the stars with Keldar? Oh. You meant Thyrin and Cassandra. Right. Right."

covaithe

Explorer
"So, let me see if I have this straight," Tommy says with an expression of concentration. "There are a total of nine hostile elemental threats in the tower. Six semi-permanent that regenerate slowly in various areas of the tower, two more powerful fire elementals that would not regenerate if they were to be neutralized, and one more that is resummoned every twenty minutes by a summoning device?" Tommy blinks. "A summoning device! Fascinating! I must see if Thyrin will let me examine it when all of this is over! I wonder if it's powered by..." Tommy stops, embarrassed. "Er, sorry. Where was I? Oh yes, elementals. Now. The fire elemental soldiers are currently one on the 5th floor, and the other on the fourth, both stationed at the exits of the saferoom, preventing Thyrin from escaping to put things right. I would hazard a guess that these two will remain at their posts no matter what, so we need not fear them coming to the aid of each other or the other elementals below the fourth floor, yes?. We dispatched two elementals, of which no more than one will resummon quickly. Thus, there are either five or six elementals within the first three floors, with a seventh to regenerate at some point. Now, can you tell us anything about which of the regenerating elementals are fire and which are earth, and where they regen--" Tommy breaks off suddenly in mid-sentence. "Wait, did you say burglars?! By the towers! What happened? What did they do to the controls? Are the research notes safe?"

Remove ads