October '08: What Are You Reading?

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Currently am actively reading "Duma Key", by Stephen King.

Waiting in the wings?
1- The Wrymling Horde (RUlenlords Book 7)
2- Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book 8)
3- Brisingr (Inheritcance Book 3)
4- An Evil Guest (Gene Wofe, sci-fi meets Lovecraft)
5- The Gargoyle (Andrew Davidson)
6- Acacia (War with the Mein Book 1)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Currently reading Dead Beat, by Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files books are addictive, I tell you.

Grymar

Explorer
Better than half of the way through A Game of Thrones. I was hesitant to start another long series that hasn't been finished (see my frustrations on the Wheel of Time series), but I had heard enough great things about this one that I had to start it. So far, it is excellent although there are enough main characters to remind me of War and Peace.

Andre

First Post
Just finished 13 Things That Don't Make Sense, which was a mixed bag. Good when dealing with the physics, less so with the other areas. Which makes sense, given the author is a physicist. Still, it's worth the read.

About a third of the way through Tell Me How This Ends, about David Petraeus and the past 18 months in Iraq. While I think the author is a bit too uncritical of her subject, it's a good book that makes a useful counterpoint to other excellent books on the war and occupation (Hubris, Fiasco, Assassin's Gate), all of which dealt with the early years.

Next on my list: Physics for Future Presidents.

Finishing up the Time Spiral trilogy by Scott McGough then I'm considering either some James Patterson or of all things- Edgar Cayce.

Just started, with some trepidation, Dhalgren, by Samuel Delany.

Also reading the old (1996) The Death of Common Sense: How Law Is Suffocating America by Philip Howard.

Wombat

First Post
Having finished the traditional read, I decided to pick up Pillars of the Earth at a library sale.

At about 100 pages in it is ... mediocre.

Psionicist

Explorer
Finished reading Anathem a while ago. This got me in a Neal Stephenson mood, so now I'm reading Quicksilver, the first book in The Baroque Cycle trilogy. It's a nice story this far.

Remove ads