October '08: What Are You Reading?

RainOfSteel

Explorer
I have just finished The Name of the Wind, Book 1 of the Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfus. A fantasy novel.

Brilliant writing, brilliant characters and charaterizations, well paced plot, a fully realized milieu, history, map, peoples, heroes, villains, religions, a fully realized magic system, and languages.

If Mr. Rothfus isn't a milieu crafter and language professor of Tolkein's caliber, then he has fooled me, only this story isn't just a brilliant milieu tale, there is an entirely substantial cake inside, and this time you can have your cake and eat it too.

This is just the first book, too! I don't want to wait to read the next.

This is the best fantasy novel I have read in fifteen years.

Get it, read it.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and wasn't too impressed. Felt the TV series was better.

Spoilers:
The book doesn't have the gradual buildup of the tv series. And the revelation that it's his brother is just splashed out at the end. It also seems that Deb would know about Dexter's hobbies at the conclusion.

Storm Raven

First Post
I'm in the middle of Bruce Catton's three volume History of the Civil War. I recently finished The Coming Fury, and I'm in the middle of Terrible Swift Sword. Once that is done, I'm on to Never Call Retreat.

Thus far, they are really good.

Kurashu

First Post
I have just finished The Name of the Wind, Book 1 of the Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfus. A fantasy novel.

Brilliant writing, brilliant characters and charaterizations, well paced plot, a fully realized milieu, history, map, peoples, heroes, villains, religions, a fully realized magic system, and languages.

If Mr. Rothfus isn't a milieu crafter and language professor of Tolkein's caliber, then he has fooled me, only this story isn't just a brilliant milieu tale, there is an entirely substantial cake inside, and this time you can have your cake and eat it too.

This is just the first book, too! I don't want to wait to read the next.

This is the best fantasy novel I have read in fifteen years.

Get it, read it.

The Wise Man's Fear is scheduled for April '09.

Also, Rothfuss looks like he should be fronting a death metal band, lawlz.

Wombat

First Post
Found a book in a used store that I hadn't read in years. Since it was only $1, I picked it up and started reading Those Who Hunt The Night again -- still fun. :)

Remove ads