OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Blunder

First Post
Rel said:
I hate to toot my own horn but I'm a REALLY good GM. I feel certain that whatever rough spots OD&D has I can smooth them out and make them shine.

YES! Exactly. A bad DM can ruin even a good rule system. Therefore the converse is true. It's called ELEMENTARY LOGIC people!

Since we're in the Houserules Forum, let me just mention that I employed a house rule for OD&D called "Every Time You Want To Do Something, Just Roll a d6 and If You Get a 6, You Succeed, And If You Get A One, Your Guy Dies". I won't get into all the specifics of <i>exactly</i> how this rule worked, but I will say that it effectively replaced a lot of subsystems and modelled reality to a sometimes alarming degree. Sometimes it was spooky.

If Rel is anything like me (and by definition, he is, since I am also a REALLY good GM) he is undoubtedly using the same rule.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Morrus said:
This thread is getting ridiculous. In addition, any discussion about wanting to make rule-sets "simpler" clearly belongs in House Rules. So I'm moving this thread there.
Let me suggest moving this thread to a random board every 1d4 + 1 turns.

Einan

First Post
WyzardWhately said:
There was also an intangible aura about the game that seems to have been lost.

Was this attributable to it being the first of its kind most people encountered or is there some sort of unreplicated element to the game?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Morrus said:
This thread is getting ridiculous. In addition, any discussion about wanting to make rule-sets "simpler" clearly belongs in House Rules. So I'm moving this thread there.

Russell, please see my post in the Mod forum. We REALLY need to talk.

Rex Blunder

First Post
WyzardWhately said:
There was also an intangible aura about the game that seems to have been lost.

Einan said:
Was this attributable to it being the first of its kind most people encountered or is there some sort of unreplicated element to the game?

No, it was a definite real aura. 10' radius.

Storminator

First Post
Nikosandros said:

P.E.A.C.H. this version:

Move Thread (standard, recharge 5, 6)
Mod can move thread to new forum. No opportunity attacks.

PS

Rel said:
Did you not read Umbran's admonition to keep this thread on topic and put aside that other stuff? Sorry, Rodrigo. I like you and everything but we'll see you back in three days.

Hmmm. I logged in from home and I can post just fine. That was a quick three days.

So let me continue the discussion.

Old-school only works if everyone at the table buys into it. If that's the case, then fine. But it's going to be increasingly hard to find people willing to go retro *and* agree on what all the DMs rulings should be. Since most gamers will be coming from a 3e/4e background, there going to be working on the assumption that that's how things work, and the more the DM deviates from those expectations, the rougher things will be. So you may as well have all the rules, anyway.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Nikosandros said:

Random Forum Generator (Tab. 12.5) - Roll 2d12%
1 - 15% - General
16 - 30% - 4th Edition
31 - 45% - D&D Rules
46 - 60% - House Rules
61 - 70% - Pathfinder, d20, etc.
71 - 80% - Plots, Places & Rogues
81-90% - Roll on the Industry Forums Table (Tab. 12.6)
91-95% - Roll on the Gaming Action Table (Tab. 12.7)
95-97% - Roll on the Non RPG-Specific Forums Table (Tab. 12.8)
97-99% - Roll on the Hosted Sites Table (Tab. 12.9)
00% - Roll on the Meta - Forums About Forums Table (Tab. 12.10)
101%+ - Roll Twice. Clone thread and move to both results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads