OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alt Boy!

Banned
Banned
Personally I think 4e should have gone the other direction.

I should start looking around for people for my FATAL campaign...

Jack99

Adventurer
I feel much the same way. I have considered switching back to an older edition, since I am looking for a simpler game, but it sounds like 4e will be just that, with more class balance as well, because frankly, 3.5 gets ridiculous at double digit levels.

(just had to post in this awesome thread)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
el-remmen said:
Some folks can't handle more than "Advanced Cowboys & Indians".
I find this to be a bit insulting. As a kid I did my fair share of LARPing with "Cowboys and Indians" and "Cops and Robbers," and I've introduced the games to my own children. Perhaps you think playing without a written rulebook is overly simplistic, but determining if someone was shot, and if they were how many shots it takes to kill them is far from a simple matter. And I cannot tell you just how complex the game can get when the cop is suddenly transformed into knight and the robber becomes a huge dragon. Maintaining game balance in those situations is very difficult.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Irda Ranger said:
Let's get some "all the rules" playtests under our belts and see what happens in June.

I'll be damned if I'm going to wait until June to start having fun.

OD&D may not be perfect. But have you seen some of the comments made about me here at ENW? Go check some of the GenCon threads if necessary. I hate to toot my own horn but I'm a REALLY good GM. I feel certain that whatever rough spots OD&D has I can smooth them out and make them shine.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
wedgeski said:
It's a red-ink bloodbath! Rather than believe the entire moderation staff of my fave site have collapsed into edition-war anarchy, I will smile and look knowingly at what the date almost is.

And just so all my bases are covered: it's perfectly reasonable to retreat to an older edition when the fancy takes you. One of my gaming pals did it... but then stopped playing altogether. Make of that what you will!

Actually, I think I have it. The moon did enter Aquarius just a little before Rel started this gooberiffic thread, so clearly it's being caused by the combination of conflicting the emotional state (shown by the moon) with the clear thought brought on by Aquarius--the Thinker of the Zodiac. It's probably got him confusing heart and mind--shown by a reversion to the childlike OD&D as opposed to the more mature 4E.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Storminator said:
Just stop right there. Don't even compare D&D to Tunnels and Trolls. T&T was a joke, and a badly done one at that.
My experience with T&T is very limited, but there are people who enjoy it. You might not like it, but certainly it is no joke.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Wait, now we have another admin who doesn't understand basic board operations?

That's okay, Russ, I'll move it back for you.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Rel said:
I'll be damned if I'm going to wait until June to start having fun.
Oh c'mon. Is this a real response to my post? I said you shouldn't commit to one system over the other when "the other system" hasn't been released yet. I never said to not have a blast with OD&D between now and June.

Rel said:
I feel certain that whatever rough spots OD&D has I can smooth them out and make them shine.
I have people who do that for me. His name is mearls.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Einan said:
I never played OD&D. What's the specific appeal?

Pretty difficult to describe, really. I mean, I love the older versions of the game. The rules were much simpler, and didn't really try to cover everything you might do. Most things came down to DM adjudication and an attribute check. There was also an intangible aura about the game that seems to have been lost.

There was much more "feel" to the game, things like danger, mystery, exploration, and etc. It felt closer to its old-school sword & sorcery roots. Things weren't as clean, and there weren't a lot of implied setting elements that would make the game world feel too modern or explored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads