OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krusk

First Post
Original D&D or 4th Edition... It matters not to Krusk...

Poor, neglected, unwanted half-orc barbarians have no place in either.

:(

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Piratecat said:
Hey, you edited my post! You BASTARD. Change it back!

Discussion of moderation in-thread is not acceptable, and abuse of the moderation staff won't be tolerated. Please, if you cannot keep your posts civil, hold off until you've cooled down.

If anyone has any questions about a particular bit of moderation was handled, please e-mail Rel, specifically. His address is available in a stickied post at the top of the Meta Forum

Last edited:

Umbran said:
His address is available in a stickied post at the top of the Meta Forum[/color]

Cool. I'll go sign him up to receive daily updates from fatbottom.girls.makethis.rockinworldgoround.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

So will this thread be closed at one 12:00:00 eastern standard, GMT, or what, exactly?

I mean being as the date will have changed and all.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Rel said:
I mean what's at the heart of gaming? Fun. Imagination. Stories. Mystery. Magic.

Seems like I've let those fall by the wayside amid all the discussions of tactics, balance, "what's core?", "does this model reality?", and "where's the verisimilitude?" When did I start using the word "verisimilitude" on a regular basis anyway?
I've never had these discussions at my table while playing 3E. NEVER. You've just been hanging out too long on EN World. The atmosphere here is poisonous. You have let it corrupt you, and lead you away from the "Fun. Imagination. Stories. Mystery. Magic."

I know it's hard to admit, but what's really happened to you is a direct result of a failure in your character. Your flawed and misguided preferences have lead you down a dark path, and it's not the game system which is to blame. I guarantee that you will have these same issues with OD&D. OD&D cannot make you a better person.

Rel said:
With Gary passing recently, it had me reflecting back on gaming with him this past GenCon and how much pure fun that was. None of the other BS that we're constantly reading about here on the boards. Just the magic of enjoyment that comes from exploring a dungeon, falling down a 10' pit and smashing skeletons while finding a Shield +1.
I'm sure it was, but the OD&D==fun correlation isn't causation. You played OD&D before you became in EN World regular. That's the real cause.

Rel said:
There were no attacks of opportunity (although Gary could have given somebody one if he felt it was warranted: GM judgement at work). There was no counting squares. There was no big list of abilities that could be used 1/day. There were no skills to track. We had Sleep and Charm Person and we LIKED IT. And for anything else you could make a Dex check.
On the fly game design at its worst. Not even EGG at his height could think up rules on the fly as well balanced and intuitive as a whole team of really smart designers with hundreds of play testers and months of lead time at their disposal.

Rel said:
Just think of how much easier that is to keep track of.
What's to keep track of? How many HP you have and whether you've used your Daily Power cast Sleep yet?

That's right. OD&D had Daily Powers too. They were called spells, but that's just a rose by another different name. OD&D also had At-Will Powers, like Attack and Climb Walls.

Going back to OD&D saves you nothing. Nothing. And it certainly won't make up for your personal failings as a player/DM.

Rel said:
How much easier is it to PREPARE for?! When I think of running other versions of D&D, I think my players must assume that I am MADE of free time! And if I'm going to spend the time to prep the game at all then they can certainly live with a more simplified ruleset where I'm granted a bit more GM fiat.
Simplified ruleset? DM Fiat? More like "We couldn't bother to make a complete ruleset, so you have to do it yourself." And your so-called "preparations" would be just as easy in 3E if there were no actual rules to compare your NPCs and Monsters with. What you're really trying to avoid isn't the "hard work" of making an NPC or Monster "to spec", but rather you're trying to avoid the embarrassment of one of your players whipping out the D&D 3.5 MMIV and showing you, conclusively, just how badly designed your monsters are. You can't handle the heat, so you've gotten out of the (3E) kitchen.

In short: Your current game system is not the problem. You are. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

But I'm not just picking on you, Rel. Clearly this madness has spread to all of the petty dictators who don't like exposing their (poor) DM-ing skills to playtester informed, critical feedback from their players. I've been a fan of EN World for a long time, for their forward looking and courageous ways. But clearly the nuts have taken over the asylum, and rather than confronting the future it has been rejected by those who fear change.

Good riddance to you all. I'm joining Charwoman Gene's 4E board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads