OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belen

Adventurer
Morrus said:
Rel, you really should know better. This is not a 4E thread. I'm moving it to General.

Really, I don't have time to babysit you.

W*anker. You do not know how to play real D&D, so you kill discussion by moving it to General.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Irda Ranger said:
And it certainly won't make up for your personal failings as a player/DM.

Well I don't have any but if I find one I'll let you know.

Good riddance to you all. I'm joining Charwoman Gene's 4E board.

Don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha!

qstor

Adventurer
Morrus said:
And, frankly, I've had just about enough of this. I'm tempted to just sign on the dotted line at which point it won't be my problem any more.

Morrus sorry that you've left thanks for all your work. I wanted to get my piece in before the thead was closed. I didn't know about the Eric Noah edition wars thing. Part of me wants to think is this all an April Fools joke but I guess not.

The thread is kinda a train wreck. Do we blame it all on 4e? Not sure...some of the posts in the 4e subforum were too much of WOTC "can do no wrong" for me.

Now the site is falling. Isn't Dragonsfoot for OD&D/AD&D folks? I used to stick out of the 1e/2e vs 3e fights now I have to pick between ALL the other editions vs 4e and for me the choice is clear. ENworld RIP?

Mike

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Irda Ranger said:
On the fly game design at its worst. Not even EGG at his height could think up rules on the fly as well balanced and intuitive as a whole team of really smart designers with hundreds of play testers and months of lead time at their disposal.
The players discover what the designers do not. Ad hoc rulings tailored to each group are superior to what "really smart" designers come up with.

Last edited:

Nine Hands

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Just like 4E!

The thing is, 4E is designed to be simple by being streamlined - everything falling under consistent mechanics. And we still see people getting rules wrong, even though there are only a few rules we know so far.

Rel's point, I think, is that OD&D is simple by being loose, and so it's much harder to get a rule 'wrong', since it's not really possible to get a rule 'right', either.

If it were up to me, I'd probably put the thread back in the 4E forum - I think that the comparison between OD&D and 4E is at the heart of what Rel is saying. But I like my job too much, and I'm not going to risk sticking an oar in right now.

-Hyp.

Yup, as long as there are rules, someone will get them wrong.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
The players discover what the designers do not.
If I wanted to be a playtester, I'd sign up. I like my RPGs like I like my cars - well oiled machines that are fast, powerful, and finely tuned.

Gentlegamer said:
Ad hoc rulings tailored to each group is superior to what "really smart" designers come up with.
You are not a unique and beautiful snowflake except in the ways your ad hoc rulings are poorly considered. While there are many ways to be badwrongunfair, there are very few ways to make a fungood rule. A well designed Dispel Magic is equally beneficial to all groups.

Rel said:
Don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha!
You can't get rid of me that easily! Let it be known: I will be "The Diaglo of d20." There is only one true fully evolved D&D. All others are less fit predecessors destined for replacement.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Irda Ranger said:
You can't get rid of me that easily! Let it be known: I will be "The Diaglo of d20." There is only one true fully evolved D&D. All others are less fit predecessors destined for replacement.
I suppose we can abide one lone nut naysayer. Welcome to your new role as court jester.

tom-cruise-on-oprah.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads