OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I hear you, Rel. But I think you should withhold judgment on 4E, and particularly the specific issue of how DMs function in 4E, until you see the 4E DMG.

So far the only hard rules we've seen have been snippets of a combat demo. Frankly, at this point it's silly to make big dramatic statements for or against the entire 4E game.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I've gone back and edited the first post so that hopefully there will be no further confusion about what forum this thread is supposed to be in.

Rel said:
I suppose I'm now coming around to this way of thinking in a way. I mean not that 3e, 4e, etc. are badwrongfun. Just that I'm starting to wonder how I ever had a good time with all that complexity.

It's probably a result of getting older. Studies have shown that as you age, your ability to juggle complex tasks and do math on the fly gets worse. Piratecat can attest to this; notice how he's moved towards Dread, which requires almost no work on the DMs part at all; he never even has to add numbers or roll dice or calculate a DC.

It's a bell curve; when you're young and inexperienced, OD&D is the game of choice, because otherwise you'd get buried in the complexity. As you mature (to a certain point) you become intellectually capable of handling harder and harder games. The comes a time when you find yourself struggling to manage a bunch of conditional modifiers from round to round, not to mention forgetting where you left your glasses and now you can't read the damn numbers on the dice. I can see how returning to the simplicity of the games of your youth would appeal. Kinda like wearing Depends is a return to the cradle.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Charwoman Gene said:
Discussing Moderation is against the rules.
I doubt this is a joke.
Well, I was hoping that the argument wasn't real... it looks a bit silly and there is no need to do it in public. Also, PC reply to DaveyJones was a bit strange...

I'm still not entirely convinced that they aren't pulling our leg...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
You're really taking this too far. I'm closing this thread. Please take the discussion into the Mod Forum.

- Xath

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nikosandros said:
Also, PC reply to DaveyJones was a bit strange...
Sorry, I'm just having a bad day. DaveyJones is an alt username for Diaglo. I have a short patience span for certain things, and various problems today are wearing me a bit thin.

I've asked the mods to resolve this privately.

keterys

First Post
I actually had dropped 1e/2e for D&D Cyclopedia* before 3rd came out and converted my campaign over to that. 3rd had a lot of things going for it, but 4e has so far felt like it picked up a lot of what I missed from the D&D Cyclopedia feel. Launched off from the solid math and balance core that 3rd introduced and started to strive for...

Seriously, I am so glad to see more realistic heavy rules crunch take a back seat to quick rules interpretation and fun winging it.

_And_ I don't have to worry about a single sleep spell breaking the game, too? Woo.

* I'm not entirely sure how different BECMI is to D&D Cyclopedia at this point... they certainly looked mostly the same to me, but there was a ten or more year gap between reading 'em and I played more cyclopedia version so it's all muddled.

Wystan

Explorer
We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, but some of us want it to be a purple diving bell, a purple diving bell....

Amber for the masses!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads