• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Off to War - canceled

ghostcat

First Post
My thinking on the sub-games is this....

Jareth, Mal, Ern, Trinham, and Rodric in one group. Hopefully galloping towards the castle.

Darling, Lora, Pious (will have him checked by tomorrow), and Zerith's newest addition and anyone else who joins. To stay and play keep away the identity from Dellex.

Any objections/other ideas.

HM
Did you say galloping, as in horses. Trinham will be one unhappy bunny :)

Personally I have no objections one way or the other and any IC objections will be strictly Trinham's.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
works for me. Ern can summon enough horses to do so, so they don't have to steal any.

Great, maybe you should mention that IC. Some needs to kick this ball to get it rolling.

Right now I’m thinking of making a moderately Kitsune themed natural-Were who is highly compatible with magic.
While he might take up a spell casting class latter on, as a fluff dip, the compatibility in this case is more of a resonance, a resounding echo, that happens after he is exposed to magic: for example, after being healed enough, or otherwise bombarded with enough holy/light energy, he will likely pick up nimbus of light for a halo.
You could say the idea is this character is magical in body and spells pollute, corrupt or purify his nature.
Probably have him be a ‘native’ to Reygur; it has a common border with Fanshaw ;3
[I’m thinking of subbing out dog for fox as far as the animal/stats gos given that I could not find them for a fox :/]

Stat up the human half of your character and we can RP the rest. I think they have fox listed for PF stats might be close enough.

Did you say galloping, as in horses. Trinham will be one unhappy bunny :)

Personally I have no objections one way or the other and any IC objections will be strictly Trinham's.

It's my job (and privilege) to make characters unhappy bunnies. :p

And thanks for the heads up about why I'll see a lot of opposition to the ambassador's plan.

HM

Zerith

First Post
Yep, PF lists them as a 1/4 HD animal (aka, Zero when used as a PC from what, little, I know) :3
Also, I think I'm going the natural route, so I should start with at least 1 of the LA. Given that there are levle 1 characters right now I don't think having him start with 2 of the 3 LA would be bad (and it makes what he gets and dos not get clear cut)
However; Foxes, as per PF, are tinny animals: can we Hose rule it as ok or should I still sub the stats with a small sized animal?
on a related note; is it ok if I ignore the role of Lycans having to get all the feats that their animal form as? (or, as per the swamping hose rule, just swap them out, same thing in the end)

And to my fellow players: you're going to be dealing with this character, so if you want to say anything now is your best chance to speak up and have an impact; while the character is still easily reshaped ;3

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
And to my fellow players: you're going to be dealing with this character, so if you want to say anything now is your best chance to speak up and have an impact; while the character is still easily reshaped ;3

You want us to speak up? Okay. Here's my opinion: Don't run this character as you have it planned right now. You were shot down on this lycanthrope/shapeshifting stuff before, and still you persisted in trying to get it allowed. HM seems to have become more lenient in what he lets in, too. :erm:

You can do the "affected by magic" without making some absurd were-something character. The +3 LA for a natural lycanthrope carries with it some serious benefits, most notably the huge DR. This entire business was already discussed in detail some time ago when you first tried to squeeze this sort of thing through.

Deskjob

First Post
I once GM'd a game where I let a guy be a Large-Sized Half-Minotaur Cleric of War. He ended up losing his fancy weapon and just spent the rest of the campaign swinging around a wooden, horse drawn, fruit-cart instead.

Going so far as to gain proficiency with it and later enchanted it with Wolf's-Bane abilities. Even using the broken wheel as an improvised shield until it caught on fire.

The best part was that he did so well with that said 'fruit cart', that his very own Patron God ended up changing his holy symbol to a watermelon in honor of his divine servant's epic prowess in combat.

Moral of the Story:

Zerith, I don't care what you play. As long as you make it as epic and fun as my Minotaur's fruit-cart campaign. *wink*

___

(BTW: ...Little known fact. Fruit-carts deal triple damage on a Critical Hit. Who knew?)

Zerith

First Post
^Why it's best to not let the hyper active, easily excitable dude work in a vacuum:)
so yes, feedback, it helps keep the crazy in check; but mainly it generaly makes characters who are generally more enjoyable for all involved ;3
Anyways, I'm investigating the possibility of making him be a warlock then with fey origins :3

Addon: Also, DW, is your issue the idea of a were-somthing or the stats? I still like the idea of a were, but thinking about it, in such a low powered campaign, a PC with 10/silver could be rather OP (then again once it's bypased you have a ECL 4 character with one hit dice...) :/
Also, now that I think about it, HM, in what manner were you thinking of RPing the rest? :3

Addon2: I was planing on making have a base score of (v-Below-v) for the kitsune, ish, were ;3
12 str
14 dex
14 con
16 int
11 wis (13 after the +2 from were, if applied)
14 cha

the stats let him be passable at anything and, once he gets 3 SB levels, very good with light/finesse weapons :3
Given that the character is more of a jack of all trades then anything, the wide stats fit, or at least I think so (also, the high int helps the skill monkeying that reflects a jack of all trades mentality ;3

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I tend to agree with Dragonwriter. It seems that you want a certain type of concept, which is 'above and beyond what everyone else was limited to' in this type of campaign. I think we all came in with the concept that human would be the core class, with small options being opened up at times, such as Aver the half elf. Other than that, we have been keeping the concepts and groups set as meeting the st requirements that were given up front.

Adding in such a 'drastic' change of character concept is more akin to bringing a greater disarray to the group, instead of adding cohesion. Yet, that is my opinion, which you asked for. I just think that there is plenty of chance to play a memorable and challenging character with the options that HM has us all using normally.

Example: Mal is working for a Copper Dragon. He's a Dragon Shaman, which allows him to grow in knowledge and mannerisms as his Copper Dragon master deems fit. Eventually, he's looking to make a big change, hopefully taking Dragon Disciple PrC and taking that route. Instead of taking claws and bite attacks, I am looking to trade those in for something more natural to human, such as weapon focus. Less animalistic, more human, which I think this campaign and world was centered upon.

Again, that's my view of the world we play in, and how we are all involved with it. I just can't honestly see how such a drastic change in character concept for a new character to be introduced would be viewed as a 'good choice'. LA concepts are nice, but I don't think this is the right campaign for it.

ghostcat

First Post
I've keep quite so far as I'm a Luddite and hate the entire concept of Monsters as Characters.

As for Trinham's reaction. I'm not sure yet but don't forget he's a peasant and he is more likely to hunt the "Beast" with a touch and pitchfork rather than befriend it.

Axel

First Post
I've keep quite so far as I'm a Luddite and hate the entire concept of Monsters as Characters.

As for Trinham's reaction. I'm not sure yet but don't forget he's a peasant and he is more likely to hunt the "Beast" with a touch and pitchfork rather than befriend it.

When monsters were allowed as PC races as a normal component of D&D (as opposed to a really cool concept that came up once every 5 years) was when it jumped the shark for me, looking back. PF >> 3.5 (thanks HM for pointing it out!).

[MENTION=99953]Zerith[/MENTION] Sounds like you'd play a Kender if they were allowed. I played with a Kender in a few parties. It's OK for a one-night-stand. For a PbP that runs for years...probably not what the group is looking for. From over 2 decades of RP experience, your character will get tired and irritating. Fast. Then we'll find ways to sideline it (like not jumping in to protect a flank, or leaving you out of a big aura spell). If it gets really bad, you can end up with PC vs PC, though I expect HM may step in before then. For a world as apparently xenophobic and speciesist as this one...it may be like the first time one of my PC's ever met a (PC) Drow character. "It's a Drow! Catch it, and stick it in a barrel of water before it kills my wife!!" You can't expect the rest of the players to meta-game the acceptance of a freak just because it's your character.

----
No objections to proposed plans. Rodric may end up taking a back seat in combat as he's a few levels behind. Still, I can deal with that. :)

Will finish his crunchy bits off tonight.

Axel

First Post
Rodric

[sblock=Game Info]
Race: Human
Class: Cleric
Level: 3
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Languages: Common
Deity: Tor
[/sblock]
[sblock=Abilities]
STR: 15 +2
DEX: 10 +0
CON: 12 +1
INT: 10 +0
WIS: 16 +3
CHA: 14 +2
[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat]
HP: 8 (LvL 1) + 3 (Con, 3 levels) + 2d8
AC: 10 + 4 (armour) + 2 (shield)
AC Touch: 10 = 10 + 0 (DEX)
AC Flatfooted: 16 = 10 + 4 (armour) + 2 (shield)
INIT: +0 = +0 (DEX)
BAB: +2 = +2 (Cleric)
Fort: +4 = +3 (base) + 1 (CON)
Reflex: +1 = +1 (base) + 0 (DEX)
Will: +6 = +3 (base) + 3 (WIS)
Speed: 30'
Damage Reduction: none
Spell Resistance: none

[/sblock]
[sblock=Weapon Stats]
Long Sword(melee): +5 = +2 (BAB) + 2 (STR) + 1 (FEAT)/DMG:1d8+2(P),CRIT:19-20x2
Dagger(melee): +4 = +2 (BAB) + 2 (STR)/DMG:1d4+2(PorS),CRIT:19-20x2
Dagger(range): +2 = +2 (BAB) + 0 (DEX)/DMG:1d4+2(PorS),CRIT:19-20x2,RANGE: 10'

Destruction Domain: Smite, 1/day. Gain +4 to hit, + cleric level (3) in damage with a single melee attack. Declare before use.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Racial Traits]
Size - Meduim
Speed - 30'
1 extra feat at first LvL
+4 skill points at first LvL, +1 skill point every LvL after first
Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Any
[/sblock]
[sblock=Class Features]
Divine Spellcasting - Spontaneous Cure Spells (No Chaotic spells)
Domains (War, Destruction)
Turn Undead 5 times/day (+2 bonus from Know: Religion)
Moderate Lawful Aura
[/sblock]
[sblock=Feats & Tricks]
Prof. with all simple weapons
Armor Prof. - Heavy, all shields except tower shields
Martial Weapon Proficiency - Longsword (War domain)
Weapon Focus - Longsword (War domain)
Power Attack (LvL1)
Extend Spell (human)
Alertness (houserule)
Divine Metamagic - Extend Spell (LvL3)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]

Skill Ranks: 28 = [4 (class) + 0 (INT)] x 4 (LvL1) + 4 (human) + 8 (level 2,3)
Max Ranks: 7/3 ACP: -4

Code:
[U]Total   Skill            Ability  Rank Misc Misc  ACP  Stat[/U]
+0  =   Appraise            +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
-4  =   Balance             +0    +0    +0   +0   -4    DEX      
+2  =   Bluff               +2    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
-2  =   Climb               +2    +0    +0   +0   -4    STR
+4  = ()Concentration       +1    +3    +0   +0   --    CON
+0 = ()Craft:              +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Decipher Script^    +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+?  = ()Diplomacy           +2    +?    +4   +0   --    CHA
+0  =   Disable Device^     +0    +0    +0   +0   --    DEX
+2 =   Disguise            +2    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
-4  =   Escape Artist       +0    +0    +0   +0   -4    DEX
+0 =   Forgery             +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+2  =   Gather Information  +2    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
+2  =   Handle Animal^      +2    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
+9  = ()Heal                +3    +6    +0   +0   --    WIS
-4  =   Hide                +0    +0    +0   +0   -4    DEX
+2  =   Intimidate          +2    +0    +0  +0   --    CHA
+2  =   Jump                +2    +0    +0   +0   +0    STR
+0  = ()Knowledge:Arcana^   +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Knowledge:Arch&Engn^+0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Knowledge:Dungeons^ +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+1  =   Knowledge:Geography^+0    +1    +0   +0   --    INT
+2  = ()Knowledge:History^  +0    +2    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Knowledge:Local^    +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Knowledge:Nature^   +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  =   Knowledge:Nobility^ +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+5  = ()Knowledge:Religion^ +0    +5    +0   +0   --    INT
+0  = ()Knowledge:Planes^   +0    +0    +0   +0   --    INT
+2  =   Listen              +0    +0    +0   +2   --    INT
-4  =   Move Silently       +0    +0    +0   +0   -4    DEX
+0  =   Open Locks^         +0    +0    +0   +0   --    DEX
+3  =   Perform             +3    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
+8  = ()Profession (Soldier)^         +3    +5    +0   +0   --    WIS
+0  =   Ride                +0    +0    +0   +0   --    DEX
+3  =   Sense Motive        +3    +0    +0   +0   --    WIS
+0  =   Sleight of Hand^    +0    +0    +0   +0   +0    DEX
n/a =   Speak Language^     n/a   +0    n/a  n/a  n/a   n/a
+1  = ()Spellcraft^         +0    +1    +0   +0   --    INT
+5  =   Spot                +3    +0    +0   +2   --    WIS
+3  =   Survival            +3    +0    +0   +0   --    WIS
-6  =   Swim                +2    +0    +0   +0   -8*   STR
-4  =   Tumble^             +0    +0    +0   +0   -4    DEX
+3  =   Use Magic Device^   +3    +0    +0   +0   --    CHA
+0  =   Use Rope            +0    +0    +0   +0   --    DEX
() = class skill
^ = trained only
* = double ACP
[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]
Code:
[U]Item(location)                  Cost   Weight[/U]
Traveler's Outfit(worn)         free     0lb
Scale Mail(worn)            50gp    30lb
Heavy wooden shield (worn, on back)  7 gp  10lb
Long sword                     10gp     2lb 
(worn in scabbard on belt)
Dagger(worn in scabbard on belt)        2gp     1lb
Backpack   			 2gp     2lb
Water skin(in backpack)          1gp     4lb
Bedroll(in backpack)             1sp     5lb
Belt pouch  1gp  0.5lb
FlintandSteel(in backpack)       1gp     ---
9 days rations                   9sp     9lb
Whetstone		2cp  1lb
Holy symbol (wooden)   1gp --
Hunting horn	1gp  2lb

Treasure: ???

Total weight carried: 65 (light)

Carrying Capacity:
Light: 00-66lbs
Medium: 67-133lbs
Heavy: 134-200lbs
Lift Over Head: 200lbs
Lift Off Ground: 400lbs
Push/Drag: 1000lbs
[/sblock]

[sblock=Personal Details]
Size: Medium
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 183 lbs
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Skin Colour: Tanned and weatherbeaten

Appearance: Solid looking, shaved head, mustache with no beard. Always carries his head high and shoulders back. Tattoos of various places visited (whether invited or otherwise) across both arms - working on a full sleeve.

Missing little finger on his left hand. Wears a red woolen cap into every battle, claiming it gives him luck.

Demeanor: Confident, prone to solve problems with violence, racist with varying degrees of severity to all non-humans.[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]
Rodric is one of four survivors from the mercenary group The Grey Company. He says little of the last battle of the group, as do the other three survivors.

Rodric has served all his adolescence and manhood in various military groups, having been singled out as a chosen of Tor in his very first battle. While standing in the vanguard against a Troll incursion a raven landed on his helm. The sign was enough for his fellow soldiers. They protected him from having his skull crushed by a Troll's club. Afterwards, he survived, prospered and learned his true calling well enough.

Survival has always been Rodric's true gift. More of any men under his authority survive than most other priests, or indeed officers. This makes him popular amongst the rank and file - though Rodric is never sure why or how he seems to pull through his red woolen cap gives him something to show the troops.

After nearly a decade fighting an unimaginable number of foes, for an equally unimaginable number of employers, Rodric has developed a healthy animosity against non-humans and a strong (bordering on paranoid) distrust of strangers, particularly non-human strangers.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Log]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Level Ups]

[/sblock]

C&C welcome. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads