Old-school dungeon crawl using 5e playtest rules

Shayuri

First Post
It's a little lazy yeah...the definition of Living Construct was made fairly clear in Eberron's original material, and it seems like they're just coasting on that in this writeup. I guess they assume that anyone who wants to play a Warforged probably is already familiar with how they work, conceptually.

A mistake, by and large, since how they work can vary from group to group, campaign to campaign, and edition to edition.

But this article seems quickly written to whet appetites, not necessarily to present complete information.

Li Shenron

Legend
Yeah, and they don't directly address the issue of healing. "Living Construct. Even though you were constructed you are a living creature." Does that make you a creature? Or immune because you are a construct? Presumably if you were you can be an undead creature, and be immune. It really could be clearer.

My decision for Dungeon Raiders was to make healing spells work fine on Warforged, partly because I don't want to make it unnecessarily harder on Tock to receive healing compared to other PCs, and partly because in 5e HP are as vague as ever on what they actually represent... it seems most gamers nowadays think of HP damage as mostly just getting closer to defeat, but not necessarily physical wounds (although a quick tour around PbP games reveals that still physical wounds is how HP damage gets described 99% of the time).

It's a little lazy yeah...the definition of Living Construct was made fairly clear in Eberron's original material, and it seems like they're just coasting on that in this writeup. I guess they assume that anyone who wants to play a Warforged probably is already familiar with how they work, conceptually.

A mistake, by and large, since how they work can vary from group to group, campaign to campaign, and edition to edition.

But this article seems quickly written to whet appetites, not necessarily to present complete information.

Honestly I don't know what was the original Eberron concept because I've never really played in that setting.

Also to their defense, they mentioned that the material in Unearthed Arcana is not final, and it is supposed to be the subject of playtesting and feedback from gaming groups, so it's very possible that later they will add more information.

Shayuri

First Post
I didn't mean it as a put down. It's clearly a short piece, meant to meet an immediate interest in the subject and maybe raise interest in future products. It does fine for what it is. :)

Li Shenron

Legend
That's right, in fact my first thought was to let [MENTION=6749529]Jimmy Disco T[/MENTION] update Tock to using this new version of the Warforged race. That would be ok for me, but let's keep in mind that because this is just a draft, it might be changed again in a few weeks...

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
I took a look at the Unearthed Arcana Warforged and it looked pretty much identical to playtest if I remember. Same stat boosts, same +1 AC, still a Living Construct...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Getting away from the issue of Warforged and back to something we touched on quite a while ago:

I have started a blog series here on EN World describing my own simple-minded* view of D&D tactics. The first two entries are "First Principles" and "Playing Smart."

* I say "simple-minded" because my own paucity of experience with the game.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[ . . . as the disappointed/disappointing poster comes limping back . . .]

Thanks to CanadienneBacon (in another campaign) for checking with Morrus and PirateCat on my behalf. As you can see, I now have posting ability again.

If it's alright with everyone, I would like to continue playing Aeiyan in this game. I regret my over-reaction over the past several days to my having lost connectivity here. It shouldn't happen again. (I doubt I'll be changing my e-mail address here again.)

Li Shenron

Legend
If it's alright with everyone, I would like to continue playing Aeiyan in this game. I regret my over-reaction over the past several days to my having lost connectivity here. It shouldn't happen again. (I doubt I'll be changing my e-mail address here again.)

I never removed you from the game ;)

wedgeski

Adventurer
[OOC: I just figured you were having a bad day. :) ]

Remove ads