• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On Whether to Get the GF Involved or Not

SilverSnake

First Post
Another problem I've encountered is when one of the couple is the DM. Any time something "good" happens to their SO's character (gets a special magic item, miraculously survives an encounter that should kill them, etc.), the other players can view it as favoritism. Did the DM fudge a die roll to protect the character? Maybe. Maybe not, but the other players will always suspect it, so the dynamic of the group changes. I've seen a group go through this, and it wasn't pleasant. That campaign fell apart, but we picked up with a different campaign two weeks later with all the same people involved, and the same DM. That second campaign lasted three years.

With our work schedules and other separate activities, my husband and I really enjoy the time I get to game with my husband. He does game on Sundays in a 3.x game that I am not in, but that is my choice because while I like all the people, I don't like the style and some of the house rules of the DM.

I thank the high heavens every day that my wife finally decided to give D&D a try. Before that, I had been playing only sporadically for several years. Now I'm playing with her in a campaign run by her cousin, and I'm running another campaign that includes her. She insists that we play D&D as often as possible. It's wonderful.

Did the DM fudge a die roll to protect the character? Maybe. Maybe not, but the other players will always suspect it, so the dynamic of the group changes. I've seen a group go through this, and it wasn't pleasant.
If this is perceived as a problem, you talk about it. I don't know why so many D&D players are competitive with each other, but if you're uncomfortable with something, discuss it. Maybe make all die rolls in the open in the example above.

As I said, my wife is a player in the game I run. If anything, she thinks she gets unfavourable treatment from me, and the other players have never complained.

Our relationship has never been a detriment at the gaming table. Bringing conflicts to the table isn't about being romantically involved - it is about being mature adults who have learned how to work out their problems appropriately.
Exactly. There are two players in my game who don't get along very well outside of the game. They have very different and conflicting personalities, but both love D&D. There hasn't been a problem at the table because they are able (most of the time) to keep that seperate from the table. We discussed it openly when the campaign started.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I think this is an interesting discussion.

I also think that, as the OP, it is interesting that I made the topic "on whether to get the gf involved or not." i didnt say significant other.

i didn't do that because i wanted to exclude women from the conversation. i am glad women have posted.

i did it subconsciously, without even thinking about it, because, and this may shok some of you, i have never ever met a woman who played D&D.

my brother just had triplets 9 months ago. 2 girls and a boy. he already has a three yr old boy. i was talking to my brother the other day and said to him how cool it is going to be in 6 or 7 yrs when we can play with his 2 sons.

i never even considered the girls. not because i dont want to play with them. it was just because i never considered the fact that girls would like to play dnd. its been my experience that women dont play.

i got into dnd in an all guy's high school. i brought it home and showed my brother the game, and our home gaming group became he and i and a random guy friend or two of his. at high school we played with the guys.

in college, my brother and i both moved away, and went to the same college, and we expanded our group by getting a couple members of our mostly all guy's karate club into it, one of whom had already played in high school.

our group now consists of me, my brother, one guy from the karate days and the karate guy's friend who he knew from high school. we're all in our late 30's.

other than a brief stint with a 21 yr old guy recently who wanted to try it out, we have never played with anyone outside of our own age group.

we also never played with women. it just worked out that way. other than the gf's trying it out, we never had a woman in the group.

as i sit here wondering why, looking back, we (my brother and i and the few people we have been playing with over the years) were never part of a gamer culture. there was never an overlap between the other stuff we did with our lives, and DND. we never went to conventions, there were no gaming stores in our area, etc. we never met anyone thru our jobs that played. our nights out were not the type wherein we could easily meet dnd players.

we lso never felt the need to associate with others who gamed. in the mid-90's i was on usenet newsgroups, but that was the extent of it. these days, over the past year, i have been posting on and reading enworld and some other sites. that's it though. none of the rest of the group does.

we also never felt the need to look for new members of the group. we always had enough players.

i guess my experiences with dnd shaped my viewpoint, the tone of which came out in my OP, wherein women who play and like dnd are more rare than a lawful good demon.

i think the "guy's night out" dynamic of our group also comes from the particular relationships between the group members and the rest of their lives. my brother, with 4 kids, 3 of which are 9 month old triplets, needs an escape. not that he dosn't love his wife and 4 kids, but its just a needs a break. the karate guy has a lot of hobbies and no kids, and all of his other hobbies he shares with his wife. to him i think this is his one night out to do his own thing. the third guy, his wife is in school at night so its no big deal one way or another. as for me, i am single these day, no kids, hence all the time to read and post here. i'm also too broke these days to do anything else. :)

interesting stuff.

Eeralai

First Post
As the wife of a GM, I wish I could play! I used to, but we have three kids and I frankly have no energy for role-playing when the game rolls around. The last few attempts have been with Feng-sheu and I kept getting these looks of "Where's my wife and what did you do with her imagination?" :) But when I did game it always worked out fine. There was only one time that I got mad at him about something in game, which was fine because we joke about it now. It's something fun to do together if you both like it.

Dedekind

Explorer
My wife has no interest and I don't even bring it up. She would rather be watching football?

However, I did play with a couple that had a somewhat unhealthy dynamic at the table. I'll avoid the details, but sometimes it seemed like there was just one player who had two characters.:erm: Eventually they split and he moved away. I still play with her regularly and it has been cool to see how much more she enjoys the game.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I enjoy D&D as "guy's night out".

When we've had a girl play, she's either added stress for her specific boyfriend (once), or for everyone in the group other than her specific boyfriend (once).

We've probably got an established "guy's night out" dynamic that's not directly game-related, but is certainly enjoyment-related. If we had time to play two games per week, I'd be happy to test out this hypothesis. But we barely have time for one.

Cheers, -- N

Shades of Green

First Post
Personally, I game with my girlfriend regularly for the last two years or so...

But I guess that depends on the kind of relationship you have. Some couples (like us) like to share most of our hobbies and fields of interest, while others like to have separate hobbies and interests.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Another problem I've encountered is when one of the couple is the DM. Any time something "good" happens to their SO's character (gets a special magic item, miraculously survives an encounter that should kill them, etc.), the other players can view it as favoritism. Did the DM fudge a die roll to protect the character? Maybe. Maybe not, but the other players will always suspect it, so the dynamic of the group changes.

And we return again to the "mature adults communicating properly" thing. That goes for everyone at the table, not just the couple.

Remove ads