• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once you go C&C, you never go back

After you tried Castles & Crusades, did you switch to it?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • No.

Votes: 123 55.7%
  • Liked it, but not enough to switch.

Votes: 43 19.5%

S'mon

Legend
Clavis said:
For all those who think that people who support C&C always do it by bashing 3.x edition, it's because it seems that almost everybody who moves on to C&C has already tried 3.x edition, wanted to like it, and been frustrated by it. .

Yes - we play C&C because of problems we had with 3e. I like 3e a lot for about the first 6 levels, but after that it rapidly becomes too complex and the power gradient is different from what I want. C&C is a cleaned up version of AD&D incorporating streamlined d20/3e based mechanics and it does what I want.

pogre

Legend
Played a one shot when it came out. It was a good time, but I mostly cater to my players - they seem to be enjoying 3.5 immensely right now. There are so many systems I want to run right now, but due to time constraints I really have to stick to one. I could see running a C&C campaign for another group if I had time.

I really want to run a WFRP campaign, a 40KRPG campaign, a Savage Worlds campaign, and well, C&C is somewhere down on that list.

I think it accomplishes pretty well what it was designed to do.

Frost

First Post
Dristram said:
Anyways, I think I’ve written quite enough. :D

Excellent points. A player "raised" on 3.X is likely to have a much different view of C&C than one who started with earlier editions.

Eric Tolle

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Somewhat embarassingly, I must apologize for earlier praising Treebore's approach to promoting C&C. Apparently, he's been engaging in some unpalatable behaviors, which I was previously unaware of. This sudden revelation coupled with his posts on this page of the current thread seem to shed much light on his true demeanor. I want to make it clear that I endorse absolutely none of this.

I have to apologize myself. Treebore's trolling is his own problem, and I should know better then to let myself respond the way I did. I'm sure that C&C is a fine game on its own merits, and the vast majority of it's players are fine people. I have my own responsibility to raise or lower the tenor of conversation, and this time I failed, and let myself be drawn down to Treebore's level.

I'm sorry, and I'll try to be more positive in the future.

Valiant

First Post
S'mon said:
Yes - we play C&C because of problems we had with 3e. I like 3e a lot for about the first 6 levels, but after that it rapidly becomes too complex and the power gradient is different from what I want. C&C is a cleaned up version of AD&D incorporating streamlined d20/3e based mechanics and it does what I want.

If your looking for 3E light, this is it (so a good game for 3Eers I suppose, not so for AD&D/OD&D fans). The artwork and editing are horrible, I wouldn't advise anyone looking for an old school game to get this system (stick with the originals or download OSRIC if you don't have them).

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Responding to deliberately inflammatory remarks does not make one a troll. The troll is the person who posts said remarks with the intent of provoking hostility, thus the term "trolling" (it comes from fishing terminoloy -- trolling is a method of slowly running a boat while trailing lures or bait).

Never mind, I PMed him instead.

Psion

Adventurer
Frost said:
Excellent points. A player "raised" on 3.X is likely to have a much different view of C&C than one who started with earlier editions.

FWIW, I started playing BECM and 1e, and I don't like C&C. I think what you are talking to here is more of a personal aesthetic than a trend.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
gideon_thorne said:
And for some informational posting. There will be Siege engine variant games coming down the pipe fairly soon. Star Siege, a sci fi game using the C&C core mechanic I believe will be one of the first offerings.
Now this I can get behind. While I didn't care for C&C, I did like some of the ideas contained in it (the SIEGE engine being number one). I think that folded into a game all its own, the SIEGE engine will shine.

Last edited:

Remove ads