One song that made you feel something.

I probably have a story to tell about most of the songs of this band, but this is a place where I come to read about RPGs, so I picked a song with an rpg-related story.

BITD, friend of mine had the Planescape boxed set. He was the only one in town to have it, we were young and poor, and living in a small town somewhere in the south of Italy.

He wouldn’t borrow it to me, it was just too precious, but I would be invited to his place to read it and “take notes”. Yep, this is before the internet, before easily available pdfs, and before smartphone. So there I would be, with pen-n-paper, transcribing the things I needed for my game, looking at the great art, and absorbing the absolutely mind-boggling info contained in those beautiful books.

And while I was reading, my friend would sit with me in the room, listening to music. It was Pearl Jam, PJ all the time. I didn’t even notice it at the time, didn’t know the band. Then one day I lifted my head from my work, and I really listened. It was just perfect.

it became my absolutely fav band of all times, and every time I listen to this song, it brings me back to Sigil and the Outlands, and that room in a small town in the south of Italy.

Damn onions…

Jahydin

Hero
Awesome thread!

Three way tie for me:
As a die hard punk/metal kid that avoided anything "soft", the cognitive bias of knowing this was probably the greatest song I've ever heard took a long time to process. Thankfully by high school I met likeminded music fans that helped me break down even more walls.

Didn't really give Beach Boys a listen till I was in my late 20s because I never cared for their "surf" music. The first time I heard Pet Sounds I was completely floored at how good it was start to finish.

Finally, Black Metal was a genre that I just "got" the first time I heard it. It evoked the same sense of dread/wonder I felt the first time I flipped through AD&D and imagined how terrifying dungeon crawling would actually be. Also introduced me to Lord of the Rings! Here's one of my favorites to listen to:

This is very hard. I think if I had to pick just one, it might be Little Wing. As a guitar player I just love this one, and it is one of those songs I never grow tired of (also there is so much DNA from this in other songs I love):

Just one is very hard though. If we are talking about pure emotional response, I would say it might be Maggot Brain. It is really simple but the emotions it captures feel so real and I can listen to it again and again, on repeat (even though it is largely just a platform for an incredibly well phrased solo---to me it sounds like singing):

I would also say this song is one that always moves me:

And this Pongsit song, is maybe one of the most emotive ever in my opinion:

Also, anything by Roy Orbison

Richards

Legend
The first thing I thought of was "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Specifically, the lyrics, "I remember I cried when my father died, never wishing to hide the tears." That was me at age 13.

Johnathan

Ryujin

Legend
Sting seems to feature prominently in songs that are tied to my emotions/memories. "I Burn For You" reminds me of a college girlfriend. Secret Journey brings back memories of my early adulthood and coming to terms with what life is really about.

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
There are two ways to respond: songs that are powerful sonically and those that hit you with their lyrics. Sometimes both, but that’s more rare.

For an emotional sound journey, it’s Jacobs Ladder by Rush.

For lyrics, lots of Radiohead. Hard to choose one, but this is one I’ve been listening to quite a bit lately.

Remove ads