D&D (2024) (Only) mechanical discussion

ccooke

Adventurer
Hey, everyone. I'd like to try an experiment.

So it seems that many threads are devolving into reiterations of what-constitutes-and-edition warring, and it's sometimes quite hard to find actual discussion about the mechanics themselves.
I'm absolutely not saying that the arguments over whether the 2024 release counts as a new edition or not are unimportant - it's something people feel passionate about, and for reasons I can respect.

However, it's making it hard to talk about the mechanics, so maybe we should try a thread just for mechanic discussions. We use plus threads for things all the time, and the concept is a good one. Maybe we need an equanimity thread, where we try to keep things a little cooler, and leave space for more analytical discussion. Maybe there are other people out there who have been looking for this sort of discussion, maybe not. We'll find out if we can get a bit of analysis here.

So in a spirit of investigation¹, let's try a thread with a few simple rules:

1) Try to keep things to the analytical. This is not a thread for "This has been ruined forever", rather "This implementation lacks some critical aspects, such as <thing> that ruin it for me."
2) Try to keep the discussion about the basic subject - in this case, the mechanics in the playtest, not whether the playtest counts as a new edition or whether WotC should be stewards for D&D at all
3) If someone is not keeping to these principles, politely ask them to move their points to another thread. There are plenty of threads where those points are on topic (and they are valid and important things to discuss - just not here).

Here's my view on the playtest as a whole, as a starter for discussion:

Overall, I think the playtest is iterating in a good direction. I really appreciate the changelog they've been including to show what's been updated in the glossary, and this packet in particular has some broad updates I really like to the core chassis of the game - I've said elsewhere how much I like this iteration on Dying and Knocking a Creature Out, but this version also has some rules for Telepathy that would clear up a lot of confusion in several of my games, and a tightening up of the language into something that's a nice balance between the (sometimes too vague) descriptiveness of 5e and the (elegant, but sometimes too) mechanical keywords of 4e.

The druid is... a nice playtest chassis. It's not perfect, but the basic foundation of a good class is here, and one that will have some serious strengths. Wildshape in base 5e is messily balanced - over the 15 levels most groups won't progress beyond, it's probably okay, but it spends periods where it's just too powerful and periods where it's starkly underwhelming. It's sad to lose the hp buffer, yes, but there's enough in this that I could absolutely see myself playing a druid in 2024. It's sad to lose Tiny creatures, but I think easy access to a familiar fixes some of that.

The Paladin is also really nice. Some things cleaned up, but: This version of Divine Sense is a huge improvement, too - Bonus Action instead of Action, not blocked by cover any more, and lasts ten minutes instead of one round. They fixed Smite spells, too, and while I will miss the nova potential as a player, I think the changes also make it less likely players will hoard spell slots for a crit that may never come. Abjure Foes is also ... stunning. Wait, no. Dazzling. Yeah.

For the design of the two classes as a whole, I like the way they're both shifted to regain significant resources on a short rest - if that were something that was kept up with the classes in general (with everyone getting a mix of LR and SR recharges, so both are good for everyone) it would make adventuring days easier to manage as a DM.

What do you think?

--
¹ I hope the DC isn't too high

mellored

Legend
Paladin: why is Divine Smite not a spell like every other smite?

All the other smites, including bow smites and punch smites, work well now.

Radiant Strike is missing unarmed attacks. Devotion with sacred fists too.

+Cha to all saves is still a big issue IMO. Especially since it's easier to make a pure Cha paladin (Sacred Flame, abjure foes), let alone dipping hexblade.

Jumping from 10' aura to 30' seems odd. Seems like there should be a 20' step in there.

Or possibly the aura gives +2 to saves, and grows 5' per Cha modifier.

Stalker0

Legend
The Paladin's new abjure foes is honestly an extremely powerful ability. The key is....even on a passed save the target is still dazed. Melee monsters that are dazed get neutered, as you can move away from them without taking an OA, and if they move back into melee they can't attack. As long as you have room to move, a dazed melee monster should never be able to damage you.

As far as the new smites go, as crazy as it sounds, I think Glimmering Smite may be the creme de la creme. Its a no save spell that grants advantage on all attacks against the monster for the entire party for a full minute. And did I mention the NO SAVE. That's a solo slayer right there

I think 5e favored ranged attack too much already without opening up Divine Smites to ranged attack. I totally like the idea of a ranged paladin being viable, but in a game where ranged attack not only gives you all the advantage of not having to be in danger or waste turns moving into combat, and also lets you grab a +2 to attack rolls fighting style, it's just too much. It should be harder to hit things with a ranged attack than a melee attack, not easier, both on game balance grounds and realism grounds (I mean yes, people bullseye targets, but think about how much more trivial it generally is to aim a melee weapon attack at the same bullseye).

So while I like there being a ranged Paladin option, I think without some tweaks a flood of Paladin-Rogues with longbows is on the horizon, and at some point the feel of the class gets undermined.

Why is no one talking about how INFLUENCE, the subsystem from the DMG, is in the core game now! It seems they're trying to make Actions for all the other ability scores too; essentially, WotC is trying to make mechanics and actions for social and exploration pillars in the core game, in simple English.

Isn't this what a lot of people have been asking for? I love it! And I've seen no talk about it!

Horwath

Legend
Channel divinity/nature should be based again on proficiency bonus per long rest.

But it should be available from levels 3 in a class.

subclasses need to be from level 1. with some parts be at level 3.
subclass additional proficiencies, expertise, armor/weapon training, darkvision, climb/swim movement, bonus spells known should be from level 1.
New abilites(channel divinity/nature, assassinate, ambush, cutting words, disciple of life) should be at level 3.

Remove ads