• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) (5E) The Village

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My only "concern" (and this may be too strong a word) is that level 1 imposes role playing constraints... my concept is for someone who is well travelled, but then why is he still level 1?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
Tis true. Not all concepts work for level 1. But there's other games for other concepts.

Or maybe this is the story of your character before they became well-traveled? :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
My only "concern" (and this may be too strong a word) is that level 1 imposes role playing constraints... my concept is for someone who is well travelled, but then why is he still level 1?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

It depends on where the character has traveled. The dangers of the wilderness are much less on the roads within the realms of the Sovereign Lands.

Also, 1st level, to me, is the beginning of an adventuring career and the beginning of a greater destiny than other people of the world. A grizzled veteran soldier is still a bit less than a 1st level character in terms of potential within the world. So, while a character may have faced dangers on the road, the character wasn't a 1st level character until the moment they (or fate) decided to become more than they were.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tglassy, I'm not sure of class yet, so by all means go wizard.

It's late here, so tomorrow I'll post a more detailed concept.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] So I decided to play a rogue one. Get it? *drum snare* :D

“Quickleaf” Eolais eth’Huran
Wood Elf / 1st-level Rogue / CG

17eed74db59521c821394dd6e3d22f02.jpg

BACKGROUND
Born to the heathen Shiasee wild elves of the Deep Wilds, Quickleaf spent his youth absorbing his people’s superstitions and traditions. Like all Shiasee, he knew that humans built roofed houses because they were afraid of the rain gods, orcs were descended from lustful gluttonous swine, and drow had chalky skin because they didn’t have enough elfwine in their diet. Raised among the “Deep Wilds Seekers”, rangers guarding the borders of the forest, he helped perpetuate the myth of wild elven savagery to deter human fools. When he was tasked with protecting the Emerald Eye, a sacred totem of the clan said to be a gateway to the elven ancestors, Quickleaf instead opted to demonstrate his bow tricks to some passing “generous” human merchants. The arboreal shrine where the Emerald Eye was kept was attacked by unknown assailants who stole the totem. For dereliction of his duty, Quickleaf was exiled from his clan until he could make ammends to the elven ancestors. He traveled to the north, in search of the Forbidden Barrows where it was believed the ancestors of his clan were buried…

ROLE-PLAYING
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personality Trait: Smarmy with a dark sense of humor.
Bond: Regain his clan’s good graces.
Ideal: Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Flaw: Superstitious. Believes a great many things about the world which are not quite true.

APPEARANCE
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 170 lbs
Hair: wine red
Eyes: umbral green

STATS
Str 16 (+3) climbing and traversing the rugged Deep Wilds honed his muscles
Dex 16 (+3) bow practice, light fingers, and a steady step in the trees above
Con 11 (+0) no more resilient than your average elf
Int 8 (-1) a quick wit sorely outweighed by a superstitious mind
Wis 14 (+2) used to guarding the borders of the woods and savvy enough to watch for betrayal
Cha 12 (+1) ingratiatingly charming, but only just so, easily veering into accidental offense

_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 1, 2, 6] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 1, 6, 6] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 2, 3] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 5, 3, 1] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 4, 4, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 1, 1] = 8

HP 8
AC 14 (leather 11 + dex 3)
Prof Bonus +2
Init +3

Speed: 35 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft. passive Perception 14
Languages: Common, Elvish, Orc, Thieves’ Cant

BACKGROUND: OUTLANDER
Feature – Wanderer: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

RACE: WOOD ELF
+2 Dex, +1 Wis
Fey Ancestry: Immune to sleep magic, and advantage on saves vs. being charmed.
Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
Trance: Don’t need sleep, instead meditate 4 hours per day to get benefits of long rest.

CLASS: ROGUE 1
*Expertise (Deception, Stealth): Double proficiency bonus in expertise skills.
Sneak Attack (1/turn): Deal +1d6 damage to a creature you hit with a Finesse or ranged weapon when you have advantage OR if the target has another conscious enemy (such as a PC) within 5 feet of it and you don’t have disadvantage.

PROFICIENCIES & SAVES
Armor: Light
Weapons: All Simple, hand crossbow, rapier, longsword, shortsword, longbow, shortbow
Tools: Thieves’ tools, flute
Saves: Dexterity +5, Intelligence +1

SKILLS
Acrobatics +5
Athletics +5 (background)
Deception +4*
Perception +4 (race)
Stealth +7*
Sleight of Hand +5
Survival +4 (background)

ATTACKS
Longbow, +5, 1d8+3, range 150/600
Longsword, +5, 1d8+3, versatile (1d10+3)
Dagger, +5, 1d4+3, range 20/60, offhand (1d4)

EQUIPMENT (52 / 80 lbs comfortably carry / 240 lbs max carry)
Starting Wealth Rogue: 4d4 x 10: 4D4 = [4, 4, 1, 1] = 100 gp

Backpack (5 lbs)
Bedroll (7 lbs) & Blanket (3 lbs)
Bottle of Elfwine, common (2 lb, worth 2 sp)
Flute (1 lb)
Leather Armor (10 lbs)
Longsword (3 lbs), Longbow (2 lbs), Dagger (1 lb)
Quiver with 20 arrows (2 lbs)
Rations: Acorns, Grasshoppers, and Mulberries (4 lbs, for 2 days)
Sylvan Ginger (1 lb, worth 1 gp)
Tinderbox (1 lb)
Traveler’s Clothes (4 lbs)
Waterskin (5 lbs)
Whetstone (1 lb)
Trinket: a fan that, when unfolded, shows a sleeping cat
Pouch with 9 silver pieces (1 lb)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I love the detail [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]. :D

The devil's in the details, and I know the devil. Haha. Thanks.

Are we trying to connect our PCs pre-game? If so, I'm imagining Quickleaf had a bit of a fiasco seduce-robbing (yes, it's now a verb) a baroness or a noblewoman. This is where he lost the last of his lockpicks (explaining why he doesn't start with thieves' tools but is proficient in them) & also acquired the curious fan. It's possible he crossed paths with another of the PCs here.

EDIT: Of course, he starts with only 9 sp to his name, so either something happened to whatever was stolen or the heist was a failure.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It depends on where the character has traveled. The dangers of the wilderness are much less on the roads within the realms of the Sovereign Lands.

Also, 1st level, to me, is the beginning of an adventuring career and the beginning of a greater destiny than other people of the world. A grizzled veteran soldier is still a bit less than a 1st level character in terms of potential within the world. So, while a character may have faced dangers on the road, the character wasn't a 1st level character until the moment they (or fate) decided to become more than they were.

Fair enough - if I can accept that internally, I can make this character.

[MENTION=6667844]eve[/MENTION]ryone: seeing how this is a "religious" barbarian, I was thinking of taking the "magic initiate" feat with the Variant-human, give us a touch of healing magic... would this help?

[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] Holly molly you whip those up fast!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Fair enough - if I can accept that internally, I can make this character.
[MENTION=6667844]eve[/MENTION]ryone: seeing how this is a "religious" barbarian, I was thinking of taking the "magic initiate" feat with the Variant-human, give us a touch of healing magic... would this help?
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] Holly molly you whip those up fast!

I believe [MENTION=6805147]River Song[/MENTION] was planning on a cleric of Erathis, so some healing there.

Haha, well it's a reimagining of my very first D&D character, and I already had some notes on my laptop. Feel free to steal my bbcode template if you like!

Remove ads