• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Psionicle, Thread II [Update! Please read and post!]

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Zhure said:
Nontechnological watches shouldn't be too difficult in a magical/psionic environment.

I can't think of a psionic example, but making a small magical golem to keep track of time by making hashmarks or moving the beads on an abacus at regular intervals should work fairly well.

The watch that Sollir was talking about was going to have been made by a 0th level technological device. Thus, it would have been technological in nature, and Jansson - being a psionic character - would have caused it to stop functioning most of the time.

Zhure

First Post
Yah, I know. I was saying he could probably figure out a psionic way to do it. If nothing else, "Know Time" should be a 0th level psychoportation Talent and could be researched. :)

Greg

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Quick explanation of wands and divine spells.

---

Divine "Magic"
Clerics, when they first began to utilize abilities granted to them by their deities, awed peasants and nobles alike. Magic-users became jealous - the abilities the clerics used were so much like magic that they believed that they were indeed magic. Thus, divine abilities were classified as "magic" and "spells", with everything they did classified alongside arcane magic and spells.

However, this is not the case. The priest creates these effects through sheer faith alone in their deity, who proceeds to make things happen in the realm of reality that the priest wants or requires. Deities follow a different set of rules - thus, while it appears to be magical, it is not. While it would be nearly impossible for any mortal being to create the effect without magic, deities can perform the act within the bounds of their reality.

Thus, divine magic is a mix of the ideas of "magic", "technology", and psionics; as it is outside the rules (and thus magic) but within the bounds of a reality (and thus technology), and is thus essentially finding loopholes in mortal reality to make things fit divine reality (and thus psionics). However, because it is the deities doing the actual "magic", those being affected by it that are resistant to magic because of their profession (in psionics or technology) aren't resistant to it with their normal resistances due to it being outside the bounds of the reality of mortals, but within the bounds of reality of deities. It is outside the standard force alignments.

---

Wands, Dorjes, Widgets
As for wands, dorjes, and widgets (widgets being the technological equivalent of a wand): these are designed specifically for others to be able to use, regardless of the user's training or lack thereof. Anyone who can point a wand and utter a word in a foreign tongue can use a wand; anyone who can point a dorje and focus on what they want to effect can use a dorje; anyone who can press a button or flip a lever can use a widget.

Of course, those with resistance to the force that the item is aligned with must have their resistance beaten by the item in order to use it.

Divine wands can be used by anyone. As said before in the section on divine "magic", divine abilities were classified along with arcane magic and spells. Thus, they use the same terminologies and (relatively) the same construction processes. However, there is a world of difference between an arcane wand and a divine "wand".

---

Zhure - I just want to apologize to you. It seems like everytime you post, I end up correcting you for something, no matter how small it is. I don't know why I'm doing it, but I've been noticing it after I've posted, especially recently.

I guess you could say that I'm trying to ensure that you - and everyone else - understands the rules of the world, mainly b/c they are so different from any other set of rules in any campaign setting that I, and probably you as the group, have ever encountered. To me, having everyone understand the world, and having the rules governing the campaign remaining consistent, are two very important things. I want to make the world appear "realistic" because everything is consistent, and things do not simply happen because I need them to - events have a reason for happening, even if it's not apparent at first glance.

Again - I just want to apologize if it seems like I've been down on you a lot. It seems like it to me, though I'm not sure if you feel the same way. Either way, though, I just want to apologize.

Jarval

Explorer
OK, a list of the equipment we want so far:

Masterwork sling - 300 gp
20 Masterwork sling bullets - 140 gp
7 days small trail rations - 3.5 gp
Tent - 10 gp
3 vials of antitoxin - 150 gp
5 packets of scentbraker (if I can find it) - 25 gp
Total: 628.5 gp

I'll also try to get the clear, yellow and dark green gems evaluated. Maybe I should take Nathan with me, just to be sure we don't get cheated ;) Ah, the joys of being a telepath :)

BTW, I grossly miscalculated the value of the gems we found. They're worth 1419 gp, although we haven't got a value for three of them yet.

Jansson will also go and have a look at what the psionic craftsman has to offer.

Gnome, what temples are in the town? Is there any chance of buying any healing potions?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
There are small shrines situated throughout the city to the five various elemental deities (Eldurium, Ratiagaan, Windiar, Falriox, Sardon). There are also shrines to Kolaita, the healing deity; Rashida, goddess of the two moons; and Tanamo, god of the sun.

Healing potions could be found at the temple of Kolaita. You might be able to find some in the other temples, but the shrine to Kolaita will almost definitely be carrying healing potions of some sort.

Dalamar

Adventurer
4 of the rations are for yourself, right? I only needed 3.
Just making sure you're buying the right amount of stuff.

Jarval

Explorer
Dalamar said:
4 of the rations are for yourself, right? I only needed 3.
Just making sure you're buying the right amount of stuff.

Yup, that's right. I just wanted to top my own rations up to a weeks worth.

If I can get my hands on any healing potions I'll buy 3. We could do with having some healing handy. That'll bring the total value of what I want to buy to 778 gp 5 sp.

Zhure

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
Zhure - I just want to apologize to you. It seems like everytime you post, I end up correcting you for something, no matter how small it is. I don't know why I'm doing it, but I've been noticing it after I've posted, especially recently.

I guess you could say that I'm trying to ensure that you - and everyone else - understands the rules of the world, mainly b/c they are so different from any other set of rules in any campaign setting that I, and probably you as the group, have ever encountered. To me, having everyone understand the world, and having the rules governing the campaign remaining consistent, are two very important things. I want to make the world appear "realistic" because everything is consistent, and things do not simply happen because I need them to - events have a reason for happening, even if it's not apparent at first glance.

Again - I just want to apologize if it seems like I've been down on you a lot. It seems like it to me, though I'm not sure if you feel the same way. Either way, though, I just want to apologize.

No need to apologize. Sometimes I try to communicate something with too much brevity, not "showing my work" as it were, or the thought processes behind it and I'm sure that's from where it arises. I certainly didn't see anything malicious about it; your intent in each case was quite clear. Part of it is my reluctance to use smileys (something I'm trying to overcome). :)

Greg

Dalamar

Adventurer
Gnome, are you going to send the world of Psionicle to the 'Fantasy Setting Search'?
I think it would have a good chance of getting to atleast second phase.
"The world where the forces of magic, psionics and technology clash against each other"

Last edited:

Remove ads