D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Check on one generic tank.

I'll be honest - I too thought that Zander was "just a generic tank". But when I looked at its character sheet, it's quite the character. He's like an ogre, who's like an onion - he has layers :D

Anyway, we have *three* tanks so I think we're good on that front :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I love playing Human Fighters because then you have to concentrate on "who is this person as a person" rather than, "it's my Dwarf Cleric of Moradin!" (which pretty much explains what his personality is like right there).

Zander may be a "Human Fighter" but I already KNOW him better than some of the other characters, and that's with him being a little mysterious (I get the impression that he was once a much worse person - I think his ability to pretend to be a rough sellsword comes from having BEEN a rough sellsword.)

Now I wanna give him a wife and child!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I love playing Human Fighters because then you have to concentrate on "who is this person as a person" rather than, "it's my Dwarf Cleric of Moradin!" (which pretty much explains what his personality is like right there).

Zander may be a "Human Fighter" but I already KNOW him better than some of the other characters, and that's with him being a little mysterious (I get the impression that he was once a much worse person - I think his ability to pretend to be a rough sellsword comes from having BEEN a rough sellsword.)

Now I wanna give him a wife and child!
Zander also has mechanical layers - very interesting feat choices.

Udit had a wife, sort of. The Lamarakhi have unusual family structure and Udit was banished from his clan because he defied tradition: he *didn't * want to sleep with his brother 's wife. Wanting a wife for yourself is seen as a selfish perversion...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Meanwhile, Malbung wants to get a wife "one day" - he thinks he has centuries of time ahead of him. He hasn't realized that he's not a full blooded elf and is almost middle aged already....

tglassy

Adventurer
I’ll jump on that bandwagon and say Primus (thanks for the name, BTW,) is married and has a number of kids, all of whom are near grown. He’ll be in his mid 40’s, his psionic power keeping him spry. The Genasi are all much younger than he is.

Their parents are probably dead by now, but they were explorers of other planes and went on many adventures to places few have been. Primus was the first child, and was actually born in the Astral Plane during an expedition of a dead God’s corpse.

Growing up, Primus was always a little different, and always seemed to know things he shouldn’t. His smile was unnerving to some, as he seemed to always be wearing it, like he knew the answer to some joke about you that you weren’t privy to.

He married over 20 years ago to an Eldarin maiden, so his four children are all half elves, and each taking after a different season, as seems to be a theme with his family.

They are all in the Feywild, where they usually make their home, though they at times vacation in the Prime Material Plane. But he is very much a Nomad. He travels the planes, usually the Material Plane, searching out new knowledge. But he is often home, bringing gifts and spending time with his children. Soon, the oldest will be old enough to accompany him.

Currently, he is on the Prime Material Plane at a request from Terrus, who asked for his help with their...problem. Always quick to come to his sibling’s aid, he came, and is going to meet Imani, the wizard Terrus directed him to.

He can’t planewalk himself. He relies on the services of a number of wizards he knows. Perhaps Imani is one he is familiar with?

P.S. They are changing the Mystic. It is now officially the Psion, and they are throwing out...well, almost everything as they remake it. If they have reworked it by the time we start and have a working class to play test, I’ll update to the new play test, if you don’t mind. It looks like they’re leaning towards just using spell slots instead of points (but hoping to work well enough with points), and it looks like it’ll be a lot more streamlined, rather than a jack of all trades, master of everything.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think they decided to try out the jack-of-all-trades thing with the Mystic to see if it would work putting so many of the "other class-types for psionics" under one umbrella. I don't think it worked. So the alternative is making psionic sub-classes for the existing classes. And be narrower with whatever the Psion turns out to be, though a bit broader than just making it a Wizard sub-class. (IIRC they tried that FIRST and it didn't work out.)

In the end, we'll probably get both. A Psion that's a full class, but not quite as crazy broad as the Mystic was, and a bunch of sub-classes to fill the best psionic archetypes that fit the other classes.

If we get a playtest version, I fully support rebuilding Primus. (Glad you like the name. I was thinking 'first-born' with it as well.)

Cool backstory, BTW.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Zander was only my second D&D 5e character (the first a human life cleric), so I wasn't ready for to many rules/abilities/and what not. No Mystic for me.

Glad you like the feat selection, it went with my thinking that when training, Zander tries to prepare for everything, and then when it comes down to actual adventuring he forgets to bring the small stuff, like a mace or a distance weapon.

Once Zander gets a wife and kids he isn't adventuring no more. I would like to play he has a girl he's courting and when this newest adventure is gettin' in the way.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
He married over 20 years ago to an Eldarin maiden, so his four children are all half elves, and each taking after a different season, as seems to be a theme with his family.

They are all in the Feywild, where they usually make their home, though they at times vacation in the Prime Material Plane. But he is very much a Nomad. He travels the planes, usually the Material Plane, searching out new knowledge. But he is often home, bringing gifts and spending time with his children. Soon, the oldest will be old enough to accompany him.

I like the dead gnome god bit :) (edit: where did I get the gnome part from? )

It seems that your character may have some insight into mine given that his father was eladrin... that could be interesting. I had figured that only Laureen ( [MENTION=6805410]Fradak[/MENTION] 's character) would have that "cultural commonality" but this is neat.

P.S. They are changing the Mystic. It is now officially the Psion, and they are throwing out...well, almost everything as they remake it. If they have reworked it by the time we start and have a working class to play test, I’ll update to the new play test, if you don’t mind. It looks like they’re leaning towards just using spell slots instead of points (but hoping to work well enough with points), and it looks like it’ll be a lot more streamlined, rather than a jack of all trades, master of everything.

Where was this announced? I remember seeing this but I can't remember where....
edit 2: Ah, Mike Mearl's podcast. How... indicative is this? Is it Mike Mearl the WotC designer or Mike Mearls the DM speaking?

Last edited:

Remove ads