D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
And I wouldn't mind joining one of your other games, @FitzTheRuke.
I haven't followed any of them so I would be a complete noob but that might not matter. Others will need to explain subtle plot points for this character. Of course, I could start reading from beginning but I guess there are quite a few posts to go through.
Scourged of Daggerford was a suitable one, right?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well... It had been so long since I'd looked at where everyone was at, that I had no idea how close to done the Dracolich was. It's for the best, of course, that we wrap this fight up. I think all would agree that it's gone on too long. Pretty Epic though.

...I wouldn't mind wrapping up a few lose ends before we bring this one to a close. I might run a sequel someday, so we can continue. I dunno. I'm not sure I like even this high level in PBP very much. Things take too long. I'll leave it up to you.

1) Do we want to bother wrapping up the combat? There's still a few cultists and skraggs. We could just to it with a narration, if you prefer.
2) Just how interested are you in a sequel? Are you interested in this game enough anymore to wrap it up properly (there's magic items to have and other story bits - and you might want to search for the dracolich's phylactery or question the cultists.) This is all up to you.
3) I think our main problem was that I set up an epic fight and then lost a few players (and then lost more when it took so long, plus pandemic, of course)

I welcome all opinions.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
1: Nah, mainly just need to know who lived and who died I guess. And who we capture for questioning.

2: I would like to keep playing Mord, though I'd like to maybe re-class him a bit. Been wanting to try giving him sorcerer levels for more spell slots and sorcery points.

3: It was just a matter of time with one or two of them. One person in-particular has been rather unpredictable and unreliable. I've been missing a few of my characters from games that have quietly fallen by the wayside.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
I think Lorenn had one mirror image left so he could "possibly" have survived the dragon attack. Lorenn did the epic attack and manage to bring the dragon down! A sacrifice for the better good.

1. I'm with gargoyleking... There is so little interest at the moment so you might as well just wrapped it up in a narration.
2. I would like to continue. Sesto is fun to play. And I would like to find the phylactery, etc, but that can also wait until a sequel. It is no point in forcing the story if we're just a few players.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think Lorenn had one mirror image left so he could "possibly" have survived the dragon attack. Lorenn did the epic attack and manage to bring the dragon down! A sacrifice for the better good.

1. I'm with gargoyleking... There is so little interest at the moment so you might as well just wrapped it up in a narration.
2. I would like to continue. Sesto is fun to play. And I would like to find the phylactery, etc, but that can also wait until a sequel. It is no point in forcing the story if we're just a few players.

The dracolich can see right through the mirror image. I hadn't noticed that until I looked the spell up to see what the die-roll was going to be for only 1 image left and I saw that Blindsight and Truesight negate it.

1) Okay, I'll make with a narration. I don't think I'd quite realized until now that we're down to the two of you with 14 characters (including NPCs) - there's really no reason to drag it out further. I wonder how much of this loss is just the usual nature of PBP, how much was this fight taking too long, and how much was the Pandemic. I think we lost EB, Gene, & eventually Fradak to PBP (though Fradak would have made it through if the fight had been faster), tglassy is still playing games here, just not this one, so I assume it's partly PBP and partly him losing interest in this game (he seem to like making characters and starting things best, anyway) and I think we lost Ancalagon to a mix of PBP malaise and pandemic. Oh well.

2) Okay, when I feel like I have the time for another third game (I'm clearly a little overwhelmed with three ATM) OR I finish one of the other two (or at least get them to a break-point) I'll do another chapter of this game. We'll recruit some new Agents of Imani to go with Mord & Sesto to look for the Wyrmspeaker whose name I currently forget (the guy who actually performed the ritual that made Icy Death into a Dracolich - that guy got away) Arrufel was just his second, staying behind to negotiate the Cult's agenda with the dragon. I guess I'll put some of this into the narration...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's 300 pounds and encased behind more than a foot of solid ice, with other valuable items also entombed and all where the dragon can instantly detect invasion. Yeah, it would have been impossible to steal. I was always wondering why the Cult didn't take it (it would be very very useful for them, too) and my best idea is that they didn't even know it was there. (I did go back-and-forth in my head on saying that they took it, but I HATE mcguffin-quests where the mcguffin stays just out-of-reach. I find it annoying.)

Bad enough that the Phylactery got taken by Wyrmspeaker Varram (found his name) to the Tomb of Deridius. (Hint about our next adventure, should it happen.) Gotta get there before he grows himself a new White Dracolich!

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
I don't recall if we received any hints about Wyrmspeaker Varram... and would we be able to find any clues about where he is going? We need someone with Divination!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Maccath the Crimson told you about him and the Tomb.... let me see... Post#743:

She also added more on the Cult of the Dragon, "When I first arrived, the Cult was still here, negotiating payment with the dragon for services rendered. I met with this group's leader, Wyrmspeaker Varram the White. Thinking me not any threat, he revealed to me over dinner that when he left, he was heading to explore the Tomb of Deridius. In an effort to impress me, he told me that he had discovered the tomb east of Boareskyr Bridge, in the Serpent Hills."

Remove ads