• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Okay, here is my proposed character!

A more in depth personality/background description is coming. In a nutshell, Nopathuk is the embodiment of the spirits of the mountains.

NOPATHUK WINDSPEAKER
Lawful Good
Goliath Paladin 8

[sblock="Character Sheet"]
Physical Characteristics
Male, 46 years
Nearly 8 feet tall, muscular and imposing
Narrow, steel blue eyes, with a shaven head and dark grey skin.

Background Acolyte
Lifestyle Poor
Languages Common, Giant, Sylvan, Elvish

Personality Traits
  • I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
  • Tradition. The ancient traditions of worship and sacrifice must be preserved and upheld.
  • I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
  • I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.

Initiative -1
Speed 30ft
Passive Perception 11

AC 22 (plate)
HP 68 (8d10+2)
Proficiency +3
Spell Save DC 14

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 8 (-1)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 16 (+3)

Saving Throws Str +8, Dex +3, Con +6, Int +4, Wis +8, Cha +10

Proficiencies
  • All armor, shields
  • Simple weapons, martial weapons
  • Wisdom, Charisma saving throws
  • Athletics, Insight, Nature, Persuasion, Religion
Skills
  • Acrobatics (Dex) -1
  • Animal Handling (Wis) +1
  • Arcana (Int) +0
  • Athletics (Str) +7
  • Deception (Cha) +3
  • History (Int) +0
  • Insight (Wis) +4
  • Intimidation (Cha) +3
  • Investigation (Int) +0
  • Medicine (Wis) +1
  • Nature (Int) +3
  • Perception (Wis) +1
  • Performance (Cha) +3
  • Persuasion (Cha) +6
  • Religion (Int) +3
  • Sleight of Hand (Dex) -1
  • Stealth (Dex) -1
  • Survival (Wis) +1
Features
  • Stone's Endurance (Goliath)
  • Powerful Build (Goliath)
  • Mountain Born (Goliath)
  • Shelter of the Faithful (Acolyte Background)
  • Divine Sense (Paladin 1)
  • Lay on Hands (Paladin 1)
  • Fighting Style (Defense) (Paladin 2)
  • Spellcasting (Paladin 2)
  • Divine Smite (Paladin 2)
  • Divine Health (Paladin 2)
  • Sacred Oath (of the Ancients) (Paladin 3)
  • Channel Divinity (Paladin 3)
  • Extra Attack (Paladin 5)
  • Aura of Protection (Paladin 6)
  • Aura of Warding (Paladin 7)
Spells Prepared
  • 1st level (4 slots): bless, cure wounds, divine favor, ensaring strike, heroism, purify food and drink, speak with animals, thunderous strike
  • 2nd level (3 slots): aid, misty step, moonbeam
Equipment
215 gp 0 sp 0 cp
  • Morningstar, handaxe
  • Plate, shield, common clothes, travler's clothes, vestments
  • Amulet holy symbol
  • Cloak of Protection
  • climber's kit
  • (4) potions of healing
  • Backpack
- bedroll, mess kit, 50ft hempen rope, tinderbox​
- (10) torches​
- (10) rations, waterskin​

[/sblock]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I like him. I'd like to fluff as many of his abilities as possible as he being able to speak to mountains. He insists that they can talk to anyone who knows how to listen.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I like him. I'd like to fluff as many of his abilities as possible as he being able to speak to mountains. He insists that they can talk to anyone who knows how to listen.

That is exactly my thought. Ensaring strike would actually be the ground beneath cracking open and and taking hold, thunderous strike would be the sound of the rocks splitting, and his cloak of protection is composed of what looks like panels of slate.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Neat - windtalker because the wind blows from the mountains? Very cool stuff.

It also looks like we have 2 tanks - less reasons to play a hexblade now haha. Healing will help the party too.

I'm also realizing that I'll be the archer of the group (along with Mord)... but that's ok, I have good boots!

Still thinking about that first level spell...

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok, Fitz. What are your thoughts on the new character. He’s a little of everyone, Terrus’ Adaptive body, Aquaria’s mental attacks, Pyrus’ telekinesis and Auraia’s teleportation. For himself, he is a skill monkey, as in he can change 2 proficiencies every long rest, and can grab a free one at any time in between if he needs it as a Focus. I didn’t grab any mind reading stuff yet. And for his item, I got a Bag Of Holding. Can people get in those? Cause he doesn’t have to breath if he doesn’t want to, so that would be an interesting way to sneak him in somewhere.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm okay with the character concept. I'm still wary of the Mystic overall, in that I think it's not really ready for "real" play, but I'm not totally against you playing one - I think it's always worth playtesting stuff. On the Bag of Holding: I've always believed that it goes against the intent of the item to get inside it. Usually I assume people would lose their minds in there. I wouldn't stop you from trying, I guess, but I might be mean about it.

tglassy

Adventurer
For the mystic, I think if we make it so he can only change his Focus once or twice a short rest, and limit the number of psi points he can spend between an action and bonus Action (reactions are separate as they are their own thing), then they’d be much more balanced. Changing focuses on a bonus Action with no limit is pretty powerful in itself, considering most focuses either give advantage or resistance to things, or other unique skills.

As for the bag of holding, there is stuff in the DMG about people getting inside and what happens if they do, namely saying they can only have enough air for 10 minutes. I figure if they make it a point to mention that, then that must be a thing. And if I don’t need to breath...

But if you say no I’ll probably still take it. They’re useful.

tglassy

Adventurer
About the psychic focus, every discipline has one. The Mystic is able to use the focus of any discipline, and switch between them using a bonus Action. These focuses don’t take up concentration, and don’t end when hit. It’s just something they can do.

The abilities given can be resistance, like with Mastery of Fire giving Fire resistance, or advantage on certain rolls that pertain to that focus, like Strength checks for Brute Force or Charisma (Deception) checks for Psionic Disruption. But it can also be superior Darkvision from Mastery of Light and Darkness or regular Darkvision from Third Eye, and the ability to go without needing to eat, breath or Sleep with Adaptive Body.

Being able to switch at will is pretty powerful. I’m not sure if it needs to be nerfed, but perhaps limiting it to being switched once or twice per rest would make things a little more balanced.

There is another use for the focus. Every type of Mystic can, at lvl 6, expend their focus to produce an effect. Immortal Mystics can use it to half all damage they take as a reaction, limited to whatever triggered the reaction. Awakened can impose disadvantage on an attack roll.

However, if the Mystic uses this ability, not only is it once per short rest, but they can’t use their Focus at all until they rest. It’s a little unlcear, but I believe that they can’t switch to a new focus until they rest, so they have to go without that ability for a while.

I don’t know if that’s enough of a drawback, though. I’d much rather, usually, have my focus giving me constant passive advantages than use the focus on a one and done skill.

Fitz, you can decide if this needs to be nerfed or not.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I haven't read it in awhile, but there must be some expectation that you can't spend Psi Points with both a bonus action and an action in the same round like how you can't spend two spell slots that way. If they didn't spell it out, they probably thought of it as a given.

Remove ads