• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ooc]Traveller T20 - Full

Watus

First Post
Quinn

Excellent! Thanks!

J.C. Quinn, Human (Mixed), ex-Marine

Die rolls: <link>

5 (Gasp!!!)
18 (Woohoo!)

Alright, lessee...

Str: 15 (+2)
Dex: 13 (+1)
Con: 18 (+4)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 10 (+0)
Edu: 10 (+0)
Soc: 5 (-3)

Homeworld Skills (Tech 8, Agricultural, Desert, Resource Poor):
Driving 1 + Vessel/Wheeled
Intuit Direction 1
Gather Information 1

So, he's a die-hard who'd likely address the emperor as "Bub". Alright.

I'm thinking older and grizzled, ala Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge. Only shorter. And a little fatter. And a little less couth. So maybe we could start off with, say, 4 tours? Then see where we are? I might do one or two more, or I might muster out at that point and do Traveller.

Sound alright?

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
A shorter fatter little less couth Clint Eastwood. Sounds like the kind of guy that you would ... ur, umm, what would you with a shorter fatter little less couth Clint Eastwood? (Appart from introduce him to the emperor. Although, come to think of it, that could be worth a giggle ...)

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Douane said:
Just did a bit of planning for the PC:

I have to take a feat for every type of Spaceship? (I sure hope I misunderstood this!:))

From the preview: Scouts don't get neither Knowledge: Jump space nor Speak Languages as a class skill.

I thought they were the "ultimate spacers" and how do they do their first contacts, in mime? :D

[EDIT: Okay, okay. I did just realize that real first contact would probably be done in mime, but still.:)]

Do Travellers get any of these?

Folkert
Travellers have access to the Linguist class feat, as wells as the speak language and knowledge skills.

The vessel rules are harsh. we'll see how it goes, playing it by the book, but I may liberalize the vessel familiarity rules. As written, you take a feat for a vessel in a particular class. For one type of vehicle in the class, you then have no penalty to your pilot checks. For other vehicles in the class, you have a -2. For vehicles outside the class, you have a -4. If I end up changing the rules later, I'll let you adjust your character to take that into account.

Watus

First Post
doghead said:
A shorter fatter little less couth Clint Eastwood. Sounds like the kind of guy that you would ... ur, umm, what would you with a shorter fatter little less couth Clint Eastwood? (Appart from introduce him to the emperor. Although, come to think of it, that could be worth a giggle ...)

Well, hell. Someone's gotta drag your sorry ass outta the (almost) inevitable starport bar fight, right?

As for what possible special skills he might have that would qualify him for the lottery, I don't know yet. We'll see how the prior history goes... At this point it would seem likely they'll be security related. But who knows... maybe he'll get drummed out o' the corps right after boot camp.

Maerdwyn: I don't think I specifically said, but if you could help me out with the prior history, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Incidentally, <tinker> I'm changing his name... a bit. </tinker>

Douane

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Travellers have access to the Linguist class feat, as wells as the speak language and knowledge skills.

:)

Maerdwyn said:
The vessel rules are harsh. we'll see how it goes, playing it by the book, but I may liberalize the vessel familiarity rules. As written, you take a feat for a vessel in a particular class. For one type of vehicle in the class, you then have no penalty to your pilot checks. For other vehicles in the class, you have a -2. For vehicles outside the class, you have a -4. If I end up changing the rules later, I'll let you adjust your character to take that into account.

Sorry for the outburst/rant, but it had been late and I had just gone through the Scout's skills list. In my opinion, they're really hardpressed to fulfill their function with their 4 skill points, considering the Scout/Couriers (and the X-boats too) are standardly manned by one person. [Pilot, Gunnery, T/Astrogation, T/Engineering ... oops! That's it all, folks.:)] And then the feats for piloting (starship + grav) and starship gunnery at least. Well, it really shook me up some.

Please don't misunderstand me. This is no whining for rules changes. If the rules are written that way, have no doubt that I'll abide by them. Essentially it's just some griping by a Traveller "oldtimer". :D

Folkert

Maerdwyn

First Post
Just sent out the class skills file to everyone except Wilphe, who has the book anyway. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Watus, here we go...

Term 1
After Basic Training, you are assigned to Internal Security for a couple years of uneventful duty.
Time 4 years. XP 5000

Term 2
After reenlisting, you are sent on Counter Insurgency detail, and make quite a name for yourself while helping to quell a Vargr rebellion against the ruling Luriani on Qaarz.
Time: 4 years. Commissioned to Lieutenant, Medal for Conpicuous Gallantry. XP 11000

Term 3
After being commisioned, you are removed from your unit and placed in command of a squad of reserve troops - the experience is useful, but dull.
Time: 4 years. Promoted to Captain. XP 7000

Term 4
The Vargr on Qaarz are acting up again, and you are sent back to settle things down. You earn another medal (Meritorius Conduct Under Fire) for the successful, but drawn out, campaign. You are surprised by the fact that you are passed over for pormotion, and decide to muster out.

You muster out with Cr30000, your service weapon, and +1 EDU (Assuming you want to muster out after 4 terms)

Douane

First Post
Maerdwyn,

Thanks for the great PDF! (Just received it.)

Unfortunately this forces me to be a nuisance again: :)

1. Could you tell us about the actual number of skill points these classes have? (At least for the Academic, Belter, Navy, Marine, Professional and Traveller? They should cover the classes taken by us poor ones without the book.)

2. Do all Classes follow the same path: Feat at 1st, 2nd, 5th, 7th ... ?

3. Does the "Entertain" skill cover practical jokes? :D

4. Some details for the linguistics feat?

5. My fourth prior term, please? (and the following mustering-out)

Sorry for this, but now I'm more than ever before raring to go!

Folkert

Last edited:

Remove ads