[OOC] Welcome to Reyr's Well!

Li Shenron

Legend
Let's roll! :)

3rd-Level (4d6 in order, drop the lowest die)

I choose this option: 3rd level, single class.

What should we use for rolling dice online?

We used to have a nice dice-rolling feature here on ENW, straight into each post... maybe we lost it when they had to reset the board?

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
...maybe I'm being a complete idiot, but I can't find the ENWorld dice roller.

Am I supposed to have a 'Roll Dice' button somewhere when I reply to a thread?

Edit:

I rolled up a Thief using the WOTC roller to get to grips with Swords & Wizardry; not sure if this is ok? I'll make a new character if necessary, no biggie.

Karl 'Plink' Erickson, Human Thief Lv 4
Str 8 Open doors 1-2
Int 13 +3 languages
Wis 8
Con 15 +1 HP, 100% raise chance
Dex 15 To hit / AC +1, +5% xp
Cha 12 Max 4 hirelings

AC 6 (descending) / 13 (ascending)

13 Hp

Neutral Alignment
Saving Throw 12, +2 saving throw vs traps, devices, wands, staffs
80% chance to comprehend languages
Backstab +4 to hit and x2 damage

Thief Skills
Climb 88%
Delicate Tasks 30%
Hear Sound 4 in 6
Hide in Shadow 25%
Move Silent 35%
Open Lock 25%

Equipment
43gp
Leather armour (+2 AC)
Shortbow, 40 arrows (1d6)
shortsword (1d6)
5 daggers (1d4)
bedroll
crowbar
grappling hook
hooded lantern, 5 pints oil
sack
shovel
tent
10ft pole
rope, hemp
5 iron spikes, hammer
3 torches
5 dried rations
waterskin

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
ENWorld's dice roller is fine with me. I prefer Invisible Castle, but it's your world. :)

...maybe I'm being a complete idiot, but I can't find the ENWorld dice roller.

I just asked in Meta and we don't have that anymore (yet) so I'll use Invisible Castle.
[MENTION=2795]Mark Chance[/MENTION], do you want the stats rolled in order? That's ok for me, but in that case, I'll choose the class after rolling :)

Li Shenron

Legend
Molly "Short Temper" Wheatbarney

Rolled in the original order:

Str 11: Open Doors 1-2 on a d6, carry mod +5
Dex 12: -
Con 13: +1 hp/HD, 100% raise dead survival
Int 14: max 4 extra languages, max spell lv 7, learn spells 65%, min 5/max 8 known spells/level, +5% XP (Magic-User)
Wis 12: -
Cha 15: max 5 special hirelings, +5% XP

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/33947/

Name: Molly Wheatbarney
Nicknames: Short Temper Molly, Shorty
Race: Human
Class: Magic-User
Level: 3
XP: 5000
Alignment: Neutral
Languages: Common (bonus: Dragon, Elvish, Goblin, Giantish)

Proficiencies: dagger, staff, darts (no armor or shield)
AC: 9 (descending) / 10 (ascending)
Saving throws: 13, +2 vs spells (incl. wands and staffs)
HP: 11 +3 Con = 14
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4196927/

1st level spells: 2/day
2nd level spells: 1/day

Known 1lv spells:
Charm Person (yes)
Detect Magic (no)
Light (yes)
Magic Missile (no)
Protection from Evil (yes)
Read Magic (no)
Shield (no)
Sleep (yes)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4196923/

Known 2lv spells:
ESP (no)
Invisibility (yes)
Levitate (no)
Locate Object (no)
Mirror Image (yes)
Phantasmal Force (no)
Pyrotechnics (no)
Web (yes)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4196926/

Starting Gold: 3d6 x 3 x 10 = 8 x 3 x 10 = 240
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4196928/
Weapons: staff, dagger, darts (10)
Adv.equipment: backpack (30lb capacity), hemp rope, bedroll, leather flasks (2), chalk (4); flint&steel, hooded lantern, oil lamp (3p), candles (10); waterskin, dried rations (10)
Magic Items: wand of Magic Missile (10 charges)
Other Items: spellbook, ink, parchment (5 sheets), scroll case; charmed garlic, wolfsbane (5)
Money: 72gp, 6sp, 4cp

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=2795]Mark Chance[/MENTION], how do we determine which spells we know?

S&W rules are a bit unclear to me... they say "a beginning Magic-User’s spell book contains as many of the eight basic first level spells as the neophyte character can know", but there actually 10 spells in the 1st-level list.

Should I pick 8 of them (8 is also my max) and roll 65% chance for each of them to see if I know them? Or do I automatically know 5 of them (the "minimum") and roll only for 3 more? Should I reroll these chances again twice, for when I went up to 2nd and 3rd level of Magic-User? (this latter rule at pag.12 requires referee's permission).

How do 2nd-level spells work? Do I once again roll for 8 spells (or pick 5 and roll for 3 extra) when levelling up to 3rd-level of Magic-User, all at once? Or are these different because they require to have found scrolls?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
[MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION]: Good question. I'm easy. Your idea for 1st- and 2nd-level spells seems reasonable to me. After that, I think spells should come from scrolls, captured spell books, et cetera. That seem reasonable?

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION]: Good question. I'm easy. Your idea for 1st- and 2nd-level spells seems reasonable to me. After that, I think spells should come from scrolls, captured spell books, et cetera. That seem reasonable?

Everything is reasonable, and you're the DM so I'll go with whatever you choose.

For now I've rolled known spells in the most conservative way (no reroll at later levels, no minimum of 5 automatically known). I actually don't mind this way, less spells known means it'll be easier to pick what to prepare.

I still need to pick equipment, but as a Magic-User it's not so important. However you mention we can "buy" one minor magic item for 100gp. Which items are "minor"? Is a lesser wand (page 129) minor, for example a Magic Missile wand?

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Just throwing together a quick backstory to keep the thread alive...

In his childhood, Karl was always getting into places he shouldn't have been, and being caught with things he shouldn't have had. His quick reflexes and the occasional charming comment usually got him out of serious trouble. He was trained by his Uncle Rickard in the art of marksmanship, his Uncle hoping that he may one day join the King's regiments as an archer - maybe picking up some discipline and respect for authority along the way.

Karl of course was having none of this, and soon after being enrolled in the regiments he slipped out of the army camp one night, never to return. He now finds himself in Reyr's Well, looking to put his skills to use for some easy gold...

Remove ads