Optimization help

Spartan_MD

Explorer
I’ve created a Str based Barbarian 1/Thief 5 dwarf who fights with returning hand axe and a +1 short sword. He also has an item that gives him an extra Reaction so he is able to tank well with rage and use uncanny dodge twice per round. I don’t see the game going past level 10-12. My options for gaining a level would be

1. keep gaining levels in barbarian to gain reckless attack, bear totem and eventually two attacks/round.

2. add a 1 level dip in fighter to gain two weapon fighting as I’d be doing d6+7 with my off hand while raging and then another 3 levels in rogue.

3. Go all rogue to 9th

4. Some combo of fighter 3 (champion) with an additional level of Barbarian. Or barb1/rogue5/fighter2/rogue 2.

here’s the linkhttps://ddb.ac/characters/11260150/nSS8pD

Thoughts?

Esker

Hero
If your rogue is using strength anyway, Reckless Attack is really good, especially with a TWF rogue, and even moreso with being able to use Uncanny Dodge twice (which stacks with damage resistance from rage!). I would probably get that 2nd level of barbarian. Getting to Barb 2 / Rogue 7 gives you advantage on DEX saves which you can then apply evasion to, which is also nice, especially since as a STR rogue with saves from barbarian (I assume?) your DEX saves are presumably not good.

I don't think I'd go fighter. One level for TWF style could be good, but if you go to 10 or 12 it comes at the cost of an ASI.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Personally, I like going Barb up to 5. I don't know your stats, but I'd definitely be tempted by grabbing Sentinel at Barb 4 to leverage those 2 reactions into more sneak attacks.

Esker

Hero
Personally, I like going Barb up to 5. I don't know your stats, but I'd definitely be tempted by grabbing Sentinel at Barb 4 to leverage those 2 reactions into more sneak attacks.

Although if you're taking that many barb levels you're giving up sneak attack dice. Plus if reckless attacking, which you probably want to do often, you're probably drawing attacks to yourself anyway, so not sure if Sentinel will trigger that often.

Esker

Hero
Looked at your sheet and saw that you've got a shield, so not using TWF then. I guess the shortsword and the handaxe are just alternative options depending on whether you're in melee or at range?

Is your DM allowing the UA class variants? If so and you can use Cunning Action: Aim, then Reckless Attack becomes less useful for you since you can already get advantage most of the time on your one attack.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Although if you're taking that many barb levels you're giving up sneak attack dice. Plus if reckless attacking, which you probably want to do often, you're probably drawing attacks to yourself anyway, so not sure if Sentinel will trigger that often.
Ahh, right, I'm so used to looking at characters with Sentinel mixed with PAM that I forgot the "OA on entering reach" upgrade is part of PAM, not Sentinel. Mea culpa.

That being said, as long as you have a melee buddy, you can position after you attack with BA Disengage (or just off hand attack if you don't need to), and then put the monster in the position of attacking you (and doing quarter damage if you rage+uncanny dodge) or attacking your friend (and eating another sneak attack). That's a win-win, since you'll always be leveraging strong use of your reaction(s).

Esker

Hero
Ahh, right, I'm so used to looking at characters with Sentinel mixed with PAM that I forgot the "OA on entering reach" upgrade is part of PAM, not Sentinel. Mea culpa.

Too bad the magic shortsword isn't a magic spear --- PAM would be a nice pickup since not TWF.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
You'll want Evasion and a 20 STR sooner rather than later. So that means getting to Rogue 8 quickly. And along the way at Rogue 6, you'll also pick up two more Expertise options for Athletics and Stealth, plus another Sneak Attack dice at Rogue 7.

You'll also want Barbarian 2 sooner rather than later, for Reckless Attack (to generate your own Advantage for Sneak Attack when you have no other options), and Danger Sense for advantage on DEX saves, which pairs very nicely with Evasion.

From there, getting to Rogue 10 gets you Advantage on some Stealth checks, plus another ASI, for 18 CON or something else that strikes your fancy. And getting to Barbarian 3 gets you Bear Totem for damage resistance, plus an extra Rage. I think the latter is better than the former, so aim for that first.

Therefore, I'd go Barb1/Rogue5 > Barb2/Rogue5 > Barb2/Rogue8. Then if the campaign continues past Level 10, go Barb3/Rogue8, then up to Barb3/Rogue10 if you make it to 13th.

Esker

Hero
You'll want Evasion and a 20 STR sooner rather than later. So that means getting to Rogue 8 quickly. And along the way at Rogue 6, you'll also pick up two more Expertise options for Athletics and Stealth, plus another Sneak Attack dice at Rogue 7.

You'll also want Barbarian 2 sooner rather than later, for Reckless Attack (to generate your own Advantage for Sneak Attack when you have no other options), and Danger Sense for advantage on DEX saves, which pairs very nicely with Evasion.

From there, getting to Rogue 10 gets you Advantage on some Stealth checks, plus another ASI, for 18 CON or something else that strikes your fancy. And getting to Barbarian 3 gets you Bear Totem for damage resistance, plus an extra Rage. I think the latter is better than the former, so aim for that first.

Therefore, I'd go Barb1/Rogue5 > Barb2/Rogue5 > Barb2/Rogue8. Then if the campaign continues past Level 10, go Barb3/Rogue8, then up to Barb3/Rogue10 if you make it to 13th.

The value of the bear totem ability is lower for this character than it usually would be. For one, as a dwarf he's already resistant to poison, which is one of the more common types you don't get with the base rage. Second, once you have evasion and make most DEX saves with advantage you'll often negate elemental damage entirely. Third, between uncanny dodge and evasion, damage on attack rolls and failed DEX saves can be halved already -- yes, resistance stacks but you're only preventing a quarter of the total.

I would rather have a feat, personally. You could even take Magic Initiate (Druid or Wizard) for Absorb Elements if you wanted, to get resistance one extra round per day, for those occasions when you might fail a CON save vs cold or some such, and then you also get Guidance and something else, or blade cantrips. Sentinel, Mage Slayer, or Martial Adept (Precision Attack or Riposte) would also be good options. Plus, then if you get to 13th, then you can get Reliable Talent.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’d take barbarian 5

1 extra rage per day
Higher hp
Extra attack
Reckless attack
Extra move speed
Advantage many dex saves
Subclass benefit. My personal pick for this is bear totem.

I tend to keep a free hand so I can grapple enemies. but even when I don’t the higher damage OA makes them think twice about moving away.

(I went swashbuckler instead of thief)

Remove ads