[OT] The Fandom Directory

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
It looks like there won't be print version of the Fandom Directory this year, perhaps not again.

For years now, probably close to 15 or so, I've bought the print version of the Fandom Directory. It's a thick book that lists thousands of genre fans from around the world, as well as fan clubs, conventions, libraries with significant genre holdings, and fan art. Anyone can get listed in it, pretty much. It's generally published bi-annually.

There is a website where the online version resides:

http://www.fandata.com

Anyway, I recently inquired about the print version, because the most recent one is the 2000-2001 edition. I was informed that due to the poor economy, the print version would not be published. Now, I like the online version. It's just that there is something nice about being able to browse through the big thick book version at one's leisure, marvelling at all the fan clubs I never knew existed, wondering about the fans listed as being from Zimbabwe, stuff like that.

I'm wondering if anyone else here is familiar with the Fandom Directory, and what your thoughts may be concerning the print version disappearing. Personally, I'm a bit saddened that it's not going to be published. Perhaps I'm one of a very few.

Fast Learner

First Post
I'm definitely familiar with it, and have had a few copies over the years. It has a long history, IIRC, and it is a shame they won't be able to print it.

That said, pretty much anything that you could just about as easily lookup online that was in print will be vanishing over the years -- not totally replacing printed things, of course, but for niche markets like the Fandom Directory... well, print will die.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Darkness said:
Heh. Tried the search just for fun, didn't find any Austrians in there...

The print version had 8 entries. The print version has a lot more entries than the online version. There could be any number of reasons for this; perhaps in some regions it's simply easier to get hold of a print copy than to have access to the internet.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
ColonelHardisson said:

The print version had 8 entries. The print version has a lot more entries than the online version. There could be any number of reasons for this; perhaps in some regions it's simply easier to get hold of a print copy than to have access to the internet.
Yeah, 'net access can be hard to come by...

Remove ads