D&D 5E [Out of the Abyss]Magic item distribution?

zingbobco000

Explorer
Finally, an observation:

There seems to be a distinct lack of items suitable for heavy tanks, am I right? (No magical plate mail or greataxes, for example)?

---

Since I have five players, not four, this isn't a huge problem. One of the reasons I wanted this shakedown is to see where to put in that extra item.

That is, to follow the same distribution the OotA authors have chosen but with a fifth player, add two items each from Table F and Table G. (Again, not worrying about consumables)

Excellent help, again thanks! :)

No problem and yeah I based it off of four people not five so the data could be a little weird for your group.

Stripping away consumables, you're saying the module adds roughly double the number of permanent items appropriate for mid-level characters than suggested by the DMG?

Thanks!

Yes, yes I am.

So... to summarize the info I wanted:

Tentacle Rod
Wand of Viscid Globs
+1 Dagger
Sun Blade, sentient
Boots of Speed
+2 Studded Leather
+2 Shortsword
+1 Shortsword
Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals
+1 Warhammer
Heward's Handy Haversack
Flame Tongue
+2 Longsword
+1 Dagger
Ring of Protection
Ring of Free Action
Gem of Brightness
Gem of Seeing
Necklace of Adaptation
Robe of Eyes

Twenty items (excluding any consumable or need-to-kill-ally or crazy OP monster), enough for five items each, given the four-man party.

My take away is that there are plenty of "plain" magic weapons (unless you stripped away information on special abilities). This is something I will embellish, I think.

One question: the Monster Manual writes about drow items as optional gear. Is this specified by Abyss? That is, has the adventure author made the choice for us which, if any, drow that carries magic gear of the kind mentioned in the MM? (I am aware OotA repeats the rules on drow items. But I will assume any such gear to be noted specifically. That is, all the +1 and +2 weapons in your listing are the kind that survives sunlight, right?)

No, sorry, I did not use the drowcraft items because every single generic magic weapon/armor is drowcraft. I'll make a note of that.

Burticusb

First Post
Cloak of Arachnida

Okay, so first the reason for this reply, seems like you guys know the module pretty well...

I play in the Adventurers League, and I have found out that there is a cert for the Cloak of Arachnida, and it clearly says "Out of the Abyss" as where you get the item from.

Now, I've scoured this book from front to back looking for this, but I can't find it anywhere...

Can anyone tell me where to find this, or if it is even there?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

CapnZapp

Legend
Nope, not there. Not in DDEN3 and not in the full OotA.

Best guess: Are there more AL adventures that could go under the Out of the Abyss banner?

Otherwise, perhaps the organizers have prepared some kind of extra loot...

Do they preroll "random" loot? This item would turn up as a "roll on Treasure table H", and since it's a DMG item not in the Basic rules, it would need a description...?

pedr

Explorer
As I understand it, WotC's store support team doesn't necessarily have the final version of the adventure when it has to send the certs to print, so there are, at various times, items without certs and certs which are pointless (and should be thrown out) as they don't correspond to an item in the adventure. It'd be great if everything lined up, but I think some occasional disparity is inevitable when so many different teams are producing different items to the timescales involved.

CapnZapp

Legend
No, sorry, I did not use the drowcraft items because every single generic magic weapon/armor is drowcraft. I'll make a note of that.
Okay, just to make sure we understand each other:

There are no regular +1 and +2 weapons (armor, shields) in the module of the kind that survives sunlight? All items with "simple" plusses are drowcraft. If a magic weapon survives sunlight it is a "specific" item (like Sun Blades and Flametongues)?

Yes?

MindxKiller

Explorer
Okay, just to make sure we understand each other:

There are no regular +1 and +2 weapons (armor, shields) in the module of the kind that survives sunlight? All items with "simple" plusses are drowcraft. If a magic weapon survives sunlight it is a "specific" item (like Sun Blades and Flametongues)?

Yes?

If by "regular" you mean "not drowcraft" then there is Dawnbringer, which is a sentient Sun Blade, if you mean regular as in just a +1 or +2 longsword for instance, then no, as far as im aware there isn't.

CapnZapp

Legend
Could you point me to the page where this is discussed? Are drowcraft some sort of default, perhaps?

Unless each and every +1 weapon is specifically called out as drowcraft each time?

Remove ads