D&D 5E Out of the Abyss OOC

For Maximillian's earthen grasp, the caster can cast the spell and run away. The caster does not need line of sight to concentrate on the spell. I think, however, if the caster wants to redirect the hand to grasp a new target, as a practical matter the caster would need to see the new target to be able to direct the hand (peeking around a corner, using a mirror, or using some other spell to "see" would work). If the caster moves out of the 30' range of the spell, she is unable to direct the hand to take an Action, and the hand will continue doing what it was last ordered to do so long as no Action is required.

For create bonfire, the caster can cast the spell and run away. Since the bonfire is immobile, the caster does not need line of sight to concentrate on the spell.
[MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION], will you please annotate Kamael's character sheet with these rulings?

Yavathol

Explorer
Done, thanks CB :)

Well, Raza has done a good job of isolating the lightning wielder! Maybe the front line fighters can focus fire on him on when they charge in and we can try to take him out before the daughter appears?

I think Solace is going to cast light on her turn. My understanding is that there is not a delay action in 5e the way there is in 3.x, but in this case I think it's appropriate that Brinn get an action once there is light. I'll ping you, [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], to take a turn after Solace casts.

Or I could, you know, slow down and read what you wrote a bit more carefully. EDIT: Yup, Kamael is probably going to cast create bonfire, which will serve as all the light Brinn needs.

Last edited:

I want to do an update in the IC, and will hopefully get to it this evening (late). Busy day here. I'm in the office, working, until perhaps 1 pm, then will be spending three hours with the kid I'm mentoring up in Knightstown, Indiana from 2 - 5 pm. And I need to grocery shop somewhere in the mix today. So, nodding, yup, I'll update but it'll be later on. Much later on.

Polling the team:

1) What are some things you'd like to see have happen with your character, developmentally?

2) What types of encounters are you interested in seeing woven into the game (that we haven't experienced much of or at all yet)?

And a general question outside the context of OotA: What type of game have you been hankering for lately?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Hmm. Good questions, CanadienneBacon. I've been finding it very difficult to concentrate on gaming matters for the past week or so and that means I don't have an answer right now. I am thinking about it, though.

Yavathol

Explorer
Hmm, thanks for asking, CB, generally everything is working great as far as I'm concerned. I'm playing in enough PBP, thankfully, that there is nothing I'm really hankering for.

I'd kind of like to get more plot stuff going on, with respect to the stuff in all the PCs backgrounds, but that's just about being patient, and all will be revealed:)

I'm kind of looking forward to kamael getting to fifth level, and one these days triggering a wild surge! Again, it will happen, theres is nothing that needs addressing in that respect:). In another tabletop campaign someone had come up with the idea of a spell scroll with no spell, just a wild surge effect, which I thought was an interesting idea! ;-) Definite pros and cons around when that should be used..

One vote for weaving characters' backgrounds into plot [MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION]. Check! That is a thing I can make happen (but, you're right, in a PbP environment it'll of necessity be gradual).

The absences of a wild surge effect is noticed by me, as well. I am finding through the practical experience of play that a 5% chance of there being a wild surge per casting is not really showcasing the wild surge sorcerer to maximum effect. I've been toying for a while now with playing with the wild surge ratio. Upping the odds, to be specific. Just seems like we're missing out on a lot of cinema and hilarity.

Remove ads